Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath 20/21 v Charlton Ath 18/19

Hypothetical fun, who would win?

I'm still not sure what our best xi is this season, but this is the one I have chosen.
I think our back four are better now, would be a good match, but I'm going for a diplomatic 1-1.

Amos
Gunter, Famewo, Inniss, Maatsen
Shinnie, Pratley, Watson, Doughty
Washington, Bogle

Taylor, Parker
Williams, Bielik, Aribo, Cullen
Purrington, Sarr, Bauer, Dijksteel
Phillips 

Comments

• edited November 2020
    Combined xi
    Phillips 
    Gunter - Sarr - Bauer - maatsen
    Bielek
    Aribo - Cullen
    Shinnie
    Taylor - Washington
  • PopIcon said:

I'm still not sure what our best xi is this season, but this is the one I have chosen.
    I think our back four are better now, would be a good match, but I'm going for a diplomatic 1-1.

Amos
    Washington, Bogle

Taylor, Parker
    Phillips 
    Technically Grant could be in that hypothetical 18/19 side too
  • at the moment the 18/19 side would piss all over this one.......however give it time
  • Tough one. Depends on whether I can have Grant in the 18/19 team. If so, I think it makes the decision much easier. 

Probably take the 18/19 with or without Grant.

• PopIcon said:

Amos
    Washington, Bogle

Taylor, Parker
    Phillips 
    Technically Grant could be in that hypothetical 18/19 side too
    Only for a couple of matches though!
  • at the moment the 18/19 side would piss all over this one.......however give it time
    I don't think the one that lost 5-3 at Scunthorpe would tbh. 
  • Combined xi
    Phillips 
    Gunter - Sarr - Bauer - maatsen
    Bielek
    Aribo - Cullen
    Shinnie
    Taylor - Washington
    You'd have 2020 Shinnie over 2019 Williams? Would have to disagree. Williams, when on the pitch, was integral to how that midfield played, and won so many fouls.

It's a strange question though. One team won promotion; the other has played barely ten games and even then, the likes of Shinnie have played six. Maatsen has played five (etc etc).

Miles too early to judge.
  • Our best XI of players this season would be, imo

Amos

Gunter Inniss Famewo Maatsen

Big Darren Pratley

Shinnie Gilbey

Maddison

Aneke Washington

A combined XI would have the fullbacks from this team, a fair fight for CB amongst all four (which Inniss would win, natch), the Pratley of the last two weeks maybe over even Bielik, Cullen over Gilbey but Shinnie over Aribo, but then Aribo over Maddison (aha!) and then Taylor plus whichever of our current strikers is fit
  • I'll also add that on the form he's shown, JFC could climb ahead of Gilbey in our current best team, but we need a good look at Gilbey before deciding this
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Phillips
    Gunter | Bauer | Famewo | Maatsen
    Shinnie | Pratley | Cullen
    Aribo
    Taylor | Grant

Subs: Amos | Sarr | Inniss | Gilbey | Bielik | Washington | Aneke

Would be my combined team from the two seasons

It is the diamond formation rather than 4-3-1-2, its just how I like to present it
  • Leuth said:
    Our best XI of players this season would be, imo

Amos

Big Darren Pratley

Shinnie Gilbey

Maddison

Aneke Washington

A combined XI would have the fullbacks from this team, a fair fight for CB amongst all four (which Inniss would win, natch), the Pratley of the last two weeks maybe over even Bielik, Cullen over Gilbey but Shinnie over Aribo, but then Aribo over Maddison (aha!) and then Taylor plus whichever of our current strikers is fit
    So 2 players that have played less than 2 and a half games between them are nailed on in our best 11?
  • Better team then (and definitely more goals in it), better squad depth now I think.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Amos

Big Darren Pratley

Shinnie Gilbey

Maddison

Aneke Washington

So 2 players that have played less than 2 and a half games between them are nailed on in our best 11?
    When fit
  • Sage said:
    Football fans are funny with short memories. Think people are getting a little too ahead of themselves right now.

We most definitely have a better squad depth of overall quality, you could argue that if one player is out, the next to come in is just as good, we don’t lose much by specific players being out.

However, we’ve played bloody 10 games this season, with many only played around 6. I mean come on.

Are you forgetting how good Bielik was for us? How good Cullen was? Aribo? Grant scored something like 15 by the end of January. Taylor was probably the reason we won promotion. It was a fantastic team that performed across the season.

So far, this team has over-achieved and I ONLY mean that in the sense of they’ve gelled so well, so quickly. We definitely have the potential in the squad to do even better than the team who got promoted. But I think it’s far too early to say.

Therefore, I think you have to go for the 18/19 team, with Grant instead of Parker.

Let me reassess again at the halfway stage of the season.

I picked the Play Off team, the team that went on that amazing run after Christmas.

I didn't cherry pick players from this season who may or may not turn out to be decent, just a selection that Bows seems to go with.

It was only meant as a little bit of fun.
  • If both teams had their best 11 i.e including Grant - 2018/19 certainly wins. 

Taylor and Grant as a partnership is crazy, we’d have won the league if we kept them. 

Taylor Grant
                          Williams 
                     Aribo      Cullen
                           Bielik

With that midfield and attack it doesn’t matter who’s in defence, they’ll just out score you. 
  • Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Amos

Big Darren Pratley

Shinnie Gilbey

Maddison

Aneke Washington

When fit
    I am not saying its right or wrong but I am amazed how many people are saying, with cast-iron certainty, that Maddison and Gilbey are significantly better than JFC and Williams.  If anything, side by side, their CVs would suggest otherwise. 
  • edited November 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:

Amos

Big Darren Pratley

Shinnie Gilbey

Maddison

Aneke Washington

When fit
    I am not saying its right or wrong but I am amazed how many people are saying, with cast-iron certainty, that Maddison and Gilbey are significantly better than JFC and Williams.  If anything, side by side, their CVs would suggest otherwise. 
    Definitely agree on JFC and Gilbey, don't on Williams and Maddison. Yes Williams has played at a higher level, but Maddison's record in this league is fantastic. Williams is probably at least as good a footballer and brings different qualities, but Maddison brings the goals and assists that Williams doesn't. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Sage said:
    Football fans are funny with short memories. Think people are getting a little too ahead of themselves right now.

We most definitely have a better squad depth of overall quality, you could argue that if one player is out, the next to come in is just as good, we don’t lose much by specific players being out.

However, we’ve played bloody 10 games this season, with many only played around 6. I mean come on.

Are you forgetting how good Bielik was for us? How good Cullen was? Aribo? Grant scored something like 15 by the end of January. Taylor was probably the reason we won promotion. It was a fantastic team that performed across the season.

So far, this team has over-achieved and I ONLY mean that in the sense of they’ve gelled so well, so quickly. We definitely have the potential in the squad to do even better than the team who got promoted. But I think it’s far too early to say.

Therefore, I think you have to go for the 18/19 team, with Grant instead of Parker.

I picked the Play Off team, the team that went on that amazing run after Christmas.

I didn't cherry pick players from this season who may or may not turn out to be decent, just a selection that Bows seems to go with.

I wasn’t have a go at you in any sense whatsoever. It wasn’t meant as a dig so I apologise if it came across that way.

My point was that we have such a new team who are in great form, but I can’t see how the comparisons can be made right now. Especially the combined XI’s, that’s all. I don’t know how it’s possible to compare at this stage, that’s why I said I’d be able to reassess at the half way point of this season. That would be fairer.

Again, sorry if it came across in any negative way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    PopIcon said:
    Sage said:

I wasn’t have a go at you in any sense whatsoever. It wasn’t meant as a dig so I apologise if it came across that way.

My point was that we have such a new team who are in great form, but I can’t see how the comparisons can be made right now. Especially the combined XI’s, that’s all. I don’t know how it’s possible to compare at this stage, that’s why I said I’d be able to reassess at the half way point of this season. That would be fairer.

Again, sorry if it came across in any negative way.
    It's ok, I didn't mean to single out your post.
    No offence taken.

We have so much more depth this season than we did two years ago. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread. If a player is out then we will have a decent replacement in the squad. We didn't have that luxury when we got promoted.
    We've not seen the best xi this season, we don't even know what it is yet.

You've made a fair point about a comparison. I just thought it would be a fun topic.
  • Sage said:

In fairness the op’s opening line did state hypothetical fun. For what its worth...
                     Phillips
    Gunter Famewo Bauer Maatsen
                    Cullen
               Bielik Aribo
                   Shinnie 
              Grant Taylor

Subs : Amos, Sarr, Purrington, Maddison, Williams, Aneke, Washington
  • Amos

Dijksteel, Bauer, Famewo, Maatsen

Bielik

Cullen Aribo

Williams

Taylor Grant .

That’s a top 6 championship team 
  • edited December 2020
    Bielik bossing the centre of the park for Derby tonight in a convincing 0-4 away win - won’t be long until he’s moving up another league. 

Aribo now a staple of a soon-to-be title winning Rangers team and Nigeria international. Probably looking at 15-20m at least for a Premier League to snap him up.

Cullen establishing himself in the middle for Anderlecht. I’m sure he’ll have the Ireland caps rolling in too.

I knew they were decent at the time but in hindsight, they were far better than that. Wish we could’ve took a punt on Bielik and Cullen while getting Aribo properly contracted. Oh well.
  • edited December 2020
    And yet as good as they were we're 1 point ahead of where we were after 18 games in that season. Cullen was consistent but Bielik and Aribo both improved as the season went on.
  • Scoham said:
    And yet as good as they were we're 1 point ahead of where we were after 18 games in that season. Cullen was consistent but Bielik and Aribo both improved as the season went on.
    The quality in L1 that season was unquestionably better. The league this season is garbage. We are missing key players, Bows is still undecided on his xi and we look very fragile at the back.

We were starting to click, then the team just fell apart. 

Right now if the two teams met the current xi would get a spanking.
  • Bielik bossing the centre of the park for Derby tonight in a convincing 0-4 away win - won’t be long until he’s moving up another league. 

Aribo now a staple of a soon-to-be title winning Rangers team and Nigeria international. Probably looking at 15-20m at least for a Premier League to snap him up.

Cullen establishing himself in the middle for Anderlecht. I’m sure he’ll have the Ireland caps rolling in too.

I knew they were decent at the time but in hindsight, they were far better than that. Wish we could’ve took a punt on Bielik and Cullen while getting Aribo properly contracted. Oh well.
    Bielik joined Derby for 10m, no chance we would or could have paid that.
  • PopIcon said:

Amos
    Washington, Bogle

Taylor, Parker
    Phillips 
    The 2018/19 would have the edge, they had more fans backing them...
  • Pearce must be terrible, he can’t get into either team