Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rate my plate/ lambast my lunch (kids lockdown lunch edition)

edited January 2021 in Not Sports Related
So kids lunches for the week have been arriving at homes, whats the worst you've seen ? Il start with this. Lunch for 2 kids, for 5 days.

Comments

•  Get's free food - moans about it.    :/
  • edited January 2021
    its good its free but i don't quite understand the meal. i presume jacket potatoes with beans but the pasta, pepper and cereal(?) i just cant see working at all well. 
  • its good its free but i don't quite understand the meal. i presume jacket potatoes with beans but the pasta, pepper and cereal(?) i just cant see working at all well. 
    Pasta
  • I'm guessing that's Tuna in the plastic pot 
  • edited January 2021
    ahh tuna, i see. still bit dry.  i would take it back if i was you  ;)
  • edited January 2021
     Get's free food - moans about it.    :/
    Ah its free ? Sorry, I thought it was supposed to be £30 of lunches funded by the tax payer. 
  • Or you could have this for £30.

Allegedly provided yesterday - Except it's fake as the bread has a November sell by date on it.

I could do more with 30 Angry mum criticises free school meals hamper   UK News  Sky News

• Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Ah its free ? Sorry, I thought it was supposed to be £30 of lunches funded by the tax payer. 

Free for those that receive it.  Paid for by others.
  • Addickted said:
    Or you could have this for £30.

Allegedly provided yesterday - Except it's fake as the bread has a November sell by date on it.

I could do more with 30 Angry mum criticises free school meals hamper   UK News  Sky News

November 2021!!  God knows what's in it
  • edited January 2021
    Addickted said:

is this £30 worth then ? Because its what a friend got and its almost identical to what you posted to discredit how shit and once again corrupt this scheme is
  • I get it.
    Jacket potatoes with beans.
    Then use the beans sauce with the pepper for pasta.
  • No - it's a disgrace. However, I suspect this is just an extreme.

Were you aware that every primary school who has a child who receives free school meals also get a £1,345 'pupil premium'?

That contractors are being paid £30 a head to provide.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:

Free for those that receive it.  Paid for by others.
    Regardless of whether you think the person receiving it deserves it, is entitled to it or if you think its a good thing for the govenmnet to do.  Do you think its acceptable for a company to charge schools/local authorities/government (ie all tax payers) £30 a head for that? 

I'm not saying they don't deserve it.  Many people that accept it do deserve it and would rather not be in that position.

I regularly donate to food banks so am not one of the 'let them eat cake' brigade, I have just seen a lot of people on social media over the last day or so moaning about the quality and the quantity of what they are receiving (it's like they are owed more).

I absolutely do not think it is acceptable for a private company to be charging the tax payer £30 for that.  I am happy that it is being looked into.

• Parent is saying the contractor is Chartwells (who are denying it).

Chartwell's annual profits of almost £2bn yet paid only £43m of Corporation tax.

CEO is Paul Walsh ex member of Camerons Business Advisory Group.
    That contractors are being paid £30 a head to provide.
    No they are paid to provide £30 worth of food, before their mark up, costs etc.  They probably get closer to £50 a pop. 
  • shine166 said:
    So kids lunches for the week have been arriving at homes, whats the worst you've seen ? Il start with this. Lunch for 2 kids, for 5 days.

If that’s 10 substantial meals then it puts the scotch egg debate to bed.
  • shine166 said:

I'm assuming this is to supplement what is already in the house. Receipt of said food doesn't stipulate that you cant eat anything else at lunchtime, and you won't have the food withdrawn if you try to use some of it for dinner in the evening. I'm sure the beans can go on some toast, or the tuna and pepper can be mixed with Mayonnaise for a sandwich? The potatoes can chipped and served with fish fingers and a can of beans. The pasta can be served with tomato and some sweetcorn. I'd say the box is quite a good base for a number of meals made up from other items that are inexpensive and healthy.  
    The food is supposed to be enough to make a full meal with nothing added by the recipient. 

The companies chosen by the government to supply this are making a lot of money. I wonder if any of their directors donate to the Tories?       
    I appreciate that, my wife is a nursery worker who during the previous lockdown spent most of her days delivering boxes to those in receipt of free school meals -the boxes had all the essential ingredients for complete meals as the nursery received the funds and then worked with local supermarkets to fill the boxes. We live in a small market town and logistically that works. I'd imagine when you get into scale distribution in the bigger cities you need a different methodology, and that's where scale and error comes in (I don't go down the corruption route - that's a pretty big conspiracy theory).  

I think my point was that even if the boxes are shite (and this is) its not beyond reason to use a bit of initiative to get through using other things - and there will be other things in the house. This is lunch for kids, not all meals for everyone in the household for a week.

• shine166 said:
    Addickted said:

is this £30 worth then ? Because its what a friend got and its almost identical to what you posted to discredit how shit and once again corrupt this scheme is
    Very similar to what MrsCat has been providing (except she is adding more cheese and has ham too).  This is through council run school catering and is definitely higher cost per meal than if they were cooking in the kitchen rather than packing boxes.

Still think it’s a fair amount  of food for a five year old to make 5 meals
  • shine166 said:

I'm assuming this is to supplement what is already in the house. Receipt of said food doesn't stipulate that you cant eat anything else at lunchtime, and you won't have the food withdrawn if you try to use some of it for dinner in the evening. I'm sure the beans can go on some toast, or the tuna and pepper can be mixed with Mayonnaise for a sandwich? The potatoes can chipped and served with fish fingers and a can of beans. The pasta can be served with tomato and some sweetcorn. I'd say the box is quite a good base for a number of meals made up from other items that are inexpensive and healthy.  
    The food is supposed to be enough to make a full meal with nothing added by the recipient. 

The companies chosen by the government to supply this are making a lot of money. I wonder if any of their directors donate to the Tories?       
    No.  In our area it’s the school cooks and assistants that are preparing it - as well as cooking for the kids and teachers that are in school, it’s not a separate contract 
    If anyone is making on it, it’ll be the wholesalers
  • shine166 said:
    Everyone saying its fine are missing the point, its £30 worth of food supposedly
    yeah i missed your point as i don't have kids so didn't really know anything about this. 

now i have been informed by a few on here its bloody disgraceful. sounds like the Tories are hiring another company to waste more of the populations money.