Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Spector

Not sure this counts as a RIP, but Phil Spector has died.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/phil-spector-pop-producer-convicted-of-dies-aged-81

Make no mistake, he was a turd of a man and a convicted murderer. But as a producer he has created some of the most amazing and iconic music if all time.

Comments

• Troubled genius.

Hearing "Then He Kisssed Me" by the Crystals for the first time in '63 started me on a life long love of black American music.

RIP.
  • Massive talent but a troubled man RIP
  • A real innovator - modern music would sound different had he not created the "wall of sound". Convicted criminal, unlike some other "flawed geniuses" we could mention (who escaped justice). Nevertheless RIP.
  • edited January 2021
    Sound track to my Plumstead childhood, Charlton, Springfield Grove teenage years
  • Completely ruined Let It Be. Not forgiven in my eyes for that or for murdering someone.
    Welcome to Charlton Life Paul McCartney!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sound track to my Plumstead childhood, Charlton, Springfield Grove teenage years
    Completely off topic but we have a large lithograph picture of an oldtime cricket match at Plumstead School.  Thought you might be interested

• Bang average when we had him on loan from Man Utd.
    Much better on Location Location Location
  • A classic example of having to separate art from the man...
  • McBobbin said:
    Just remembered something amusing... When we were looking at primary schools for my eldest, one had a picture of Phil Spector on the wall with giant hair... It was for teaching the word "hair" in French. There was a look of horror when I pointed out that photo was taken when he was on trail for murder. Surprised they didn't have a picture of Peter Sutcliffe for "beard"
    I wonder what the word was for the picture of Pardew.
  • Sound track to my Plumstead childhood, Charlton, Springfield Grove teenage years
    Completely off topic but we have a large lithograph picture of an oldtime cricket match at Plumstead School.  Thought you might be interested

I know usetobunkin is getting on a bit but I don't think he's in that picture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Changed the sound of popular music, but still a c*** all his life. 
    Like Hitler then?
    I was thinking more R Kelly and Gary Glitter 

Although its impossible to listen to Vibe o Ignition without imagining the vile nonce having a piss on a 14 year old girl 
  • Carter said:
    A classic example of having to separate art from the man...
    Like Hitler then?
    I was thinking more R Kelly and Gary Glitter 

Although its impossible to listen to Vibe o Ignition without imagining the vile nonce having a piss on a 14 year old girl 
    Well, better than where my mind took me... John Wayne Gacy and his clown paintings
  • McBobbin said:
    Just remembered something amusing... When we were looking at primary schools for my eldest, one had a picture of Phil Spector on the wall with giant hair... It was for teaching the word "hair" in French. There was a look of horror when I pointed out that photo was taken when he was on trail for murder. Surprised they didn't have a picture of Peter Sutcliffe for "beard"
    That was in the mural describing parts of a bell
    Indeed
    Probably easier than separating the syrup from the man. 
  • His music will live on.  Fortunately for his victims, he won't. 
  • McBobbin said:
    I don't know the French word for it but the English word is cnut. 
  • edited January 2021
    His murder of that poor woman was the tip of a large iceberg of lousy behaviour, read Ronnie Spectors Wikipedia entry for an example. Great producer maybe, and I loved a lot of his early 60s stuff, but a terrible individual.