Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Google Meet

Help!!!

My youngest has today started using Google Meet for his online classes on his Samsung tablet. He could get on ok but during the lesson we noticed there was no 'raise hand' facility.

I've had a look online and it is a glitch with the August 2020 version of the app, which we have, and need to update to the December 2020 version. So I tried to up date on the play store. It told me we have the latest version? Initialled and re installed and again have the old version.

I then looked on the playstore on my phone and sure enough the December version was there.
So then I thought it was the playstore. There was a different version on my phone than the tablet. So I uninstalled the playstore on the tablet and now have the same version as my phone. Search 'Google meet' and again only the old August version is available. Aaarghhh!

Is there anywhere else I can try and get the latest version other than the play store?
Or anything else I can try??

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Your device probably isn't optimised for the latest update unfortunately.

Do you have another device that you could try?
  • This is the latest update link, if it doesn't work then your device isn't supported.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.meetings
  • Dazzler21 said:

Yes. Latest version on mine and my wife's phone. Really need it on the tablet. The tablet is newer than both phones. Go figure!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Yes. Latest version on mine and my wife's phone. Really need it on the tablet. The tablet is newer than both phones. Go figure!
    Yeah may be a newer device but hardware may not be as up to date. Often the case with the budget versions of big brand devices. 

You may be able to sideload it from Filelinked or similar, but could be buggy. 
  • Have you made sure that the actual device software is uptodate
  • ads said:
    Have you made sure that the actual device software is uptodate
     Did an update the night before last. Also tried updating play store. Looks like many kids are suffering due to this. Sort it out Google!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Yeah may be a newer device but hardware may not be as up to date. Often the case with the budget versions of big brand devices. 

May also be an issue of the Android version it's running on. I've been looking at buying a new cheap tablet as mine keeled over over Christmas, and a lot of them are running Android 9 or 10 Go, which is a slightly cut down version of the operating system to allow it to run acceptably well on tablets that don't have much in the way of memory (RAM or ROM). The problem is certain apps aren't compatible with that cutdown version, so may not install or update to newer versions. You'd hope that Google Apps would be written with that in mind, but maybe not.
  • Several of our students have similar issues. I use the chat box function where I encourage students to post questions during live lessons that I can then respond to. I'm sure if the teacher is made aware they can facilitate another way for your child to interact.

• aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

May also be an issue of the Android version it's running on. I've been looking at buying a new cheap tablet as mine keeled over over Christmas, and a lot of them are running Android 9 or 10 Go, which is a slightly cut down version of the operating system to allow it to run acceptably well on tablets that don't have much in the way of memory (RAM or ROM). The problem is certain apps aren't compatible with that cutdown version, so may not install or update to newer versions. You'd hope that Google Apps would be written with that in mind, but maybe not.
     Wouldn't you just. Considering many schools are now using this and I doubt many people can go out and get the latest gadget to run it on. Especially if theres numerous kids in the household.
  • edited January 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wouldn't you just. Considering many schools are now using this and I doubt many people can go out and get the latest gadget to run it on. Especially if theres numerous kids in the household.
    Worth noting that Google only offer the software, it's Samsung in this scenario that may be choosing to limit their device to use an older version of Android. If you share the device name/model I can have a look and see what version it's capable running.