Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grandkids, don’t you just love em

My wife suggested in the week that we have our youngest grandson stay with us Friday night to give our daughter a break. “No problem “ I said, he’s a diamond, love to have him.

So we all get up Saturday morning and while the wife is cooking breakfast I am in the living room playing on the floor with the little fella. Teletubbies are on the TV in the background and all of a sudden the little fella runs into another room then comes back clutching a model of Tinky Winky.

I was impressed that he has connected the fact he had a toy in his bag that matched the TV program and he wanted to show me however before I got the chance to comment he turned, threw it at the TV and promptly shattered the screen causing multiple rainbow lines to streak out in every direction.

After a hasty click & collect I arrived home clutching my new 4K all singing and dancing replacement only to be told by the wife the little darling is going to stay another night. 

After setting it up I spent the rest of the evening until he went to bed sitting in front of the TV like an Ice Hockey keeper guarding his net  :)

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    The grandson is 17....
    Lol, no, a two year old.
  • Funny story, but how does that work with Covid rules? Nothing I’d like more than for my parents to see our 6 month old as they have been unable for two months now, but did t think it was possible!?

• I seriously feel your pain...

Only just replaced my TV thanks to my own little horror of a Son deciding to pull it over and so creating similar rainbow lines on the screen!! - Thanks to this forum I learnt about straps that can screw into the TV Unit / Wall.

Still doesnt stop the little bugger from touching it and getting his dirty paws over it at times - They really need to invent a TV that gives children a harsh electric shock if they go within a centimetre of the unit, even then that might be too close for my liking!!
    I remember that thread, good advice those straps.
  • Funny story, but how does that work with Covid rules? Nothing I’d like more than for my parents to see our 6 month old as they have been unable for two months now, but did t think it was possible!?

We are in a child care bubble with my daughter as my my wife and daughter work together and as grandparents we provide child care and home schooling when my daughter works. All within the rules.
    I should have added my daughter has three children, we are not home schooling the two year old who broke the TV 
  • I seriously feel your pain...

Only just replaced my TV thanks to my own little horror of a Son deciding to pull it over and so creating similar rainbow lines on the screen!! - Thanks to this forum I learnt about straps that can screw into the TV Unit / Wall.

Still doesnt stop the little bugger from touching it and getting his dirty paws over it at times - They really need to invent a TV that gives children a harsh electric shock if they go within a centimetre of the unit, even then that might be too close for my liking!!
    If only you had a time machine 😉.
  • Straps would not have saved the TV today, a Kevlar screen cover on the other hand.........
  • Sponsored links:

We are in a child care bubble with my daughter as my my wife and daughter work together and as grandparents we provide child care and home schooling when my daughter works. All within the rules.
    So, a TV is small price to pay.
  • edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    I seriously feel your pain...

If only you had a time machine 😉.
    Yeah I'd buy the straps before my Son broke the old one and would hang him upside down by his ankles as I enjoy watching TV on my 32" TV with a couple of hundred quid in my pocket still
    If it's any consolation one of our grandkids was allowed to do some drawing on our not cheap low level units that the tele sits on. To be fair it was on paper however they've obviously given it the big scribble, as they do and with nothing underneath there's some nice 6 to 9 inch long indentations in the top which I only noticed the other day.

I called the Mrs over and at first I was put firmly in the frame, it was my headphones, until I showed her that the indentations when consistent with a ball point pen.

Fortunately you have to catch it in the right light to see it. As Grandmas do she said not to worry she'd apply some beeswax and give it a good polish because these things happen! That's not how it would have ended had I not proved my innocence I can assure you 😉.

Cheers for the answer. Just know so many people who are seeing grandparent/grandchildren I feel like we’re being naive in following the rules to the letter sometimes. I think the majority don’t have your valid reason to justify mind. 

Good luck protecting the tv!

Cheers for the answer. Just know so many people who are seeing grandparent/grandchildren I feel like we’re being naive in following the rules to the letter sometimes. I think the majority don’t have your valid reason to justify mind. 

Nothing wrong in forming a childcare bubble. Not only is it within rules, it's healthy for both generations to have that time together, especially for grandparents mental well-being which is as good a reason as any.

You may know this already but it sounds like you possibly don’t. As your child is under 1 you’re allowed under the rules to form a bubble with another household.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    clb74 said:
    @eaststandmike

We had similar when mine were 18 months. Little sod climbed up the back of the stand, pushed the TV off shattering the screen. We took the following measures, with mixed success.

Be honest mate.
    That's you and elfsborg last year
    You beat me to it, I was going to post the same.
  • edited January 2021
    @eaststandmike

We had similar when mine were 18 months. Little sod climbed up the back of the stand, pushed the TV off shattering the screen. We took the following measures, with mixed success.

The same view as the corner at the old den.

You may know this already but it sounds like you possibly don’t. As your child is under 1 you’re allowed under the rules to form a bubble with another household.
    And even if they are not under 1, they can still be childcare if you need to work. Theres also absolutely nothing wrong with a sleepover either as its good for everyone's mental health and still fits the criteria.
  • edited January 2021
    Funny story, but how does that work with Covid rules? Nothing I’d like more than for my parents to see our 6 month old as they have been unable for two months now, but did t think it was possible!?

Like you, I know many who seem to have ‘generously interpreted’ this childcare bubble angle. My kids adore my parents and it’s massively impacting them not seeing them. 

However, at the end of the day we are not seeing them to protect them. In December I had to take some things over to my folks. Despite the temptation in being there, I wore a mask throughout, left the stuff outside their garage and didn’t get within 15ft of them when having a brief chat. I was 100% fine but My symptoms come through the next day, which I positive tested from. I am so thankful I didn’t ‘just pop in for five minutes’.

I’ve absolutely no doubt @eaststandmike appreciates just how lucky he is still having precious time with his grandkids.
    Wow......that was a pretty close call Bart, just goes to show how a moment of weakness can impact in a colossal mistake.
    So, I have to say well done, you will never know how things might have turned out......it doesn’t bear thinking about.