Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin Hyperloop

Comments

• As a Charlton fan... SACRILEGE!!!
  • Love it. My mate's been working on it for the last 18 months or so (based in Vegas the lucky s*d) as one of the chief engineers...he's pretty prominent in the 'first ride' video that was released a few weeks back..  Very long way til it happens, but it could be awesome...
  • Love it. My mate's been working on it for the last 18 months or so (based in Vegas the lucky s*d) as one of the chief engineers...he's pretty prominent in the 'first ride' video that was released a few weeks back..  Very long way til it happens, but it could be awesome...
    This one? 

https://youtu.be/xKvbSboQ5_g
  • I don’t think it’s real. All the “people” were walking funny. Hoax.
     /s
  • The video tells us nothing about it except that it is a pod that moves very fast. Very expensive and unhelpful vid.
  • MrLargo said:
    Don't really understand it, but it looks mighty impressive. However, rest assured that if SouthEastern get their hands on it then it'll be a dirty, unreliable, over-priced shambles.
    you forgot late
  • PopIcon said:
    The video tells us nothing about it except that it is a pod that moves very fast. Very expensive and unhelpful vid.
    Yeah I initially thought it moved through water, but seems it's basically vaccum-powered.
  • Getting another runway at Heathrow was bad enough. Trying to get something like this passed and built will take a couple of hundred years. 
  • if its fast and green its a yes from me, however, at the rate that crossrail is going it would take hundreds of years to do this kind of thing in the UK
  • Sponsored links:

• if its fast and green its a yes from me, however, at the rate that crossrail is going it would take hundreds of years to do this kind of thing in the UK
    I was intrested enough to look at their website. No immediate plans to operate in the UK. I think its highly unlikely we'll see this in our lifetime.
  • As a Charlton fan... SACRILEGE!!!
    Just been followed on Twitter by Virgin Media!
    Never been so offended in my life, not even when I was followed by Feltham young offenders or the M**w*** supporters club as its otherwise known. ;)
  • I'm still waiting for the self-piloted flying cars and robots in aprons doing the housework  that I was promised on Tomorrows World.
  • Change of plan for HS2
    is it based on a monorail like the one in Shanghai? There were talks about linking with Beijing but the cost would have been Phenomenal. 
    Virgin should stick to his spaceship for the super rich. 
  • If it's anything like my TiVo box then I won't be touching it with a barge pole!
  • edited January 2021
    It appears to use Maglev (anyone old enough to remember Professor Eric Braithwaite?) and  vacuum. Both British ideas  which we have failed to exploit.  The vacuum or atmospheric railway  was developed by the Brunels (Isambard and Mark) with  the Dawlish line in Devon originally being laid with a form of vacuum power and the original tube line was developed  for vacuum from Borough to King William Street. Sadly the  vacuum seals in both designs did not prove to be sufficient to over come friction in the rail head in either development, but  combine it with Maglev and who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• It appears to use Maglev (anyone old enough to remember Professor Eric Braithwaite?) and  vacuum. Both British ideas  which we have failed to exploit.  The vacuum or atmospheric railway  was developed by the Brunels (Isambard and Mark) with  the Dawlish line in Devon originally being laid with a form of vacuum power and the original tube line was developed  for vacuum from Borough to King William Street. Sadly the  vacuum seals in both designs did not prove to be sufficient to over come friction in the rail head in either development, but  combine it with Maglev and who knows.
    Rats
  • They ate the leather. 
  • edited January 2021
    It appears to use Maglev (anyone old enough to remember Professor Eric Braithwaite?) and  vacuum. Both British ideas  which we have failed to exploit.  The vacuum or atmospheric railway  was developed by the Brunels (Isambard and Mark) with  the Dawlish line in Devon originally being laid with a form of vacuum power and the original tube line was developed  for vacuum from Borough to King William Street. Sadly the  vacuum seals in both designs did not prove to be sufficient to over come friction in the rail head in either development, but  combine it with Maglev and who knows.
    @Scratchingvalleycat My friend (has since passed away) mentioned whilst on the Maglev that he attended professor Eric Braithwaite lectures at Manchester university(?) anyway, he spoke about the use of the vacuum. Unfortunately at the time it wasn’t known how to control the vacuum to stop. 
  • vffvff
    edited January 2021
    I think Virgin should concentrate on ensuring their named companies provide decent services first before trying bloody hypers loops or space ports or whatever. I am with Virgin Media & they provide a very unreliable service & dreadful customer services 😬🤬 
  • I'd settle for a reliable affordable bus service.  Another widening of the gap between rich and poor.
  • Like it, apart from no windows.
  • Surely this wouldn’t be for everyday commuting. 
    Years ago I thought Elon Musk was involved in similar and was to link LA,SF,LV

• MrOneLung said:
    Surely this wouldn’t be for everyday commuting. 
    Years ago I thought Elon Musk was involved in similar and was to link LA,SF,LV

he was, he open sourced the technology and companies like virgin hyperloop have taken it and run with it.

• Some impressive videos of the almost 400mph Chinese Maglev.
    Japan also has a similar project well under way. 
  • MrWalker said:

Some impressive videos of the almost 400mph Chinese Maglev.
    Japan also has a similar project well under way. 
    Pwoar.... Look at those curves!!