Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• I felt a bit drowsy the next day and both arms ached a lot, all good now.
    My second appointment is for the 21st April.  Does anybody have their next jab inside 3 months?
  • stonemuse said:
    Pfizer on thursday, no date for second advised. Slightly sore arm for 24 hours but assume it was the 5g/wifi booting up.
    Should be 3 weeks but now up to 12 weeks between jabs.
    “almost every independent expert on vaccinology and virology in the UK contacted by the Financial Times has supported the 12-week interval policy formulated by the government’s medical advisers and the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation.

The British Society for Immunology, a professional body for scientists and clinicians, said its support for an extended interval for the mRNA vaccines was based on clinical evidence of the good protection given by the first dose and expert opinion that delaying the second booster dose would not harm the long-term immune response. There was also a recognition that vaccinating the maximum number of people at top speed “has by far the largest chance of reducing the disease burden and death rate compared with other measures”.

“I feel even more sure that it is right to do ‘first doses first’ now than I did a month ago,” said Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

Given the combination of a shortage of vaccine and high levels of infection caused by the highly transmissible new variant of the virus, he said many more lives would be saved in the UK by sticking with a 12-week dosing interval.“

Peter Hale, executive director of the Foundation for Vaccine Research in Washington DC, said critics sceptical of delaying the second dose overlooked the fact that the three and four week interval for the two mRNA vaccines were deliberately chosen by their manufacturers Pfizer and Moderna to optimise the chances of getting an emergency use authorisation “as rapidly as possible”.

Without the urgency of a pandemic, Mr Hale said the two drug companies would probably have opted for a longer interval. “There are members of our group who actually consider that a longer interval between doses is beneficial in terms of building a broader and longer-lasting immune response,” he said.

• Two great posts @stonemuse

The longer interval between doses is a widely accepted better option within the immunology community. In the USA there is a natural reluctance to go “off piste” because of the litigation culture and in the EU there are in the area of the vaccine roll out too many competing bodies to make bold decisions. I think with hindsight the individual nations will look with regret at leaving the procurement of all vaccines to the Commission and in leaving the vaccines license for use to the inexplicably slow and cumbersome EMA. 

• Got my jab tomorrow morning, not sure what one it will be.
  • Pfizer jab Friday and yesterday had a pounding headache and my whole body felt achey. Early night and feel fine today.
    How’d you manage to get yours done so early mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Pfizer jab Friday and yesterday had a pounding headache and my whole body felt achey. Early night and feel fine today.
    I don't know how old ValleyGary is but  didn't think he "was old".
    I would be interested, if people don't mind, that those who have had or have been given a date for the vaccine said how old they were and without going into detail if they have underlying health problems
    I understand some wouldn't want to so if that's the case please ignore me. 
  • I am 72 and had the Pfizer vaccination 12 days ago with no adverse reaction. 
  • edited January 2021
    Pfizer jab Friday and yesterday had a pounding headache and my whole body felt achey. Early night and feel fine today.
    I don't know how old ValleyGary is but  didn't think he "was old".
    I would be interested, if people don't mind, that those who have had or have been given a date for the vaccine said how old they were and without going into detail if they have underlying health problems
    I understand some wouldn't want to so if that's the case please ignore me. 
    If you try to use the government online vaccination booking service it asks for your NHS number, Name and date of birth. If you are not currently able due to the priority system allowed to use the booking service it will say exactly that. Any other persons who fit outside this due to occupation or other reasons will get their jab booked through GP or employers. There are a group. Me included that have had the jab when accompanying someone who was booked in. My reason was sole carer for my 87 year old mum. Others might include people offered jabs to use up vaccines. I’m sure there are a few more as well.
  • Glad to read all these sensible people having the vaccine. 

My Mrs has had hers as she volunteers at a vaccination centre. It's the one thing we're doing well in this mess.
  • Pfizer 3 weeks ago 
    Mild hangover following day
    Thereafter right as nine pence ( not heard that expression for a while) 

• edited January 2021
    Pfizer 3 weeks ago 
    Mild hangover following day
    Thereafter right as nine pence ( not heard that expression for a while) 

My dad used to say that. I wonder where it came from. 

Edit : found this. (Sorry as off topic)

It has been suggested it comes from the game of skittles or ninepins, but The Phrase Finder has found the first reference in a book of English proverbs from 1659: “as fine as fippence, as neat as nine pence.”

The connection was money rather than skittles, and there was a nine pence coin in circulation during that period. Neat as ninepence later became nice as ninepence and right as ninepence.

• Wife (51) is a severe asthmatic and so had the first jab (AZ) last Monday morning at Charlton House. Knocked her for six and she was in bed for 3 days with temperature and 'flu like' symptoms. Back to normal now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just heard that people are selling forged Vaccine certificates......BASTARDS!!!!

• Me and my team had the vaccine last week. One of the girls was up all night throwing up. I got a stiff neck and headache and so did one of my other colleagues. A lot of the blokes had really sore arms for a couple of days. 

We had the Pfizer. Was bloody impressed with how efficient the vaccination system was working. Well oiled machine. 
  • Me and my team had the vaccine last week. One of the girls was up all night throwing up. I got a stiff neck and headache and so did one of my other colleagues. A lot of the blokes had really sore arms for a couple of days. 

We had the Pfizer. Was bloody impressed with how efficient the vaccination system was working. Well oiled machine.
    A small price to pay......one has to say. 👍

Out of interest Rugby - you say ‘me and my team’ - what do you do ?
  • Just heard that people are selling forged Vaccine certificates......BASTARDS!!!!

Why on earth would anyone want one.