Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Quick question, do they or can they mix the vaccines up? Are they essentially the same thing? If you had AZ first time willl they or can they give you Pfizer 2nd time?
  • Hex said:
    Don’t forget, once you have had jab 1 you have no protection for 14 days (I think) with AZ and at least 12 days with Pfizer.  My mum had her Pfizer jab on 22nd January and is now in hospital with COVID.
    Oh no!
  • Thanks for the good wishes. 
    Mum's symtoms were, interestingly, that of a cold and mainly lots of phlegm - not the dry cough you would expect.  We were unsure whether to take up the offer of a test (PCR) from the on-site carers but decided we would be stupid not to do so.  In any case mum was worse the following morning (Tuesday) and her carers called an ambulance.
    The hospital were planning on discharging her (Friday) providing she was off oxygen for long enough.  However, she had a temperature one night and yesterday afternoon was put back on oxygen due to fluctuating sats.  We wait and hope.
  • edited February 2021
    Sorry to hear this @Hex and sincerely hope your Mum’s condition improves. 

On the question of how soon does the Vaccine become effective my understanding from a contact in the Pharmaceutical industry was three weeks and this is backed up by this extract from Q&As on the NHS website;

How long does the vaccine take to become effective?

While you will need two doses of the vaccine to get the best long-term protection from the virus, you will still have a significant level of protection at 22 days after you received the first dose.

Furthermore after vaccination we should all continue to observe hands, face, space requirements to obviate the risk of catching this awful disease as much as possible.

• Quick question, do they or can they mix the vaccines up? Are they essentially the same thing? If you had AZ first time willl they or can they give you Pfizer 2nd time?
    That's the testing they are currently doing...they think it will be OK but have 800 volunteers testing it.
  • RedChaser said:

On the question of how soon does the Vaccine become effective my understanding from a contact in the Pharmaceutical industry was three weeks and this is backed up by this extract from Q&As on the NHS website;

While you will need two doses of the vaccine to get the best long-term protection from the virus, you will still have a significant level of protection at 22 days after you received the first dose.

Furthermore after vaccination we should all continue to observe hands, face, space requirements to obviate the risk of catching this awful disease as much as possible.

The important thing I gather is that, until the 12/14/21/22 day point it appears you don't have protection.  It doesn't slowly build up in any meaningful way each day after the jab.

• I am 55 and was given the jab as a key worker. We were all (voluntary sector) sort of reserves because we were told that there is a 20% no show, l have also been told that some mostly older people have been declining anything but the "English" version.

The local authority are slowly getting through the voluntary/charity sector on that basis, I.e. releasing batches of 20 to my team which we prioritise.

As an organisation we have been campaigning to get unpaid carers up the priority list. They are level 6 unless of course they come further up the list for other reasons.
  • Hex said:
    RedChaser said:

The important thing I gather is that, until the 12/14/21/22 day point it appears you don't have protection.  It doesn't slowly build up in any meaningful way each day after the jab.

Not sure but I know a person who should and will post if it’s anything different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone I know had the Oxford jab a week ago. Only side effect they have had so far was a pain in the hip area. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it. 

sorry to hear about your Mum @Hex
    wishing her all the best 

• RedChaser said:
    Hex said:
    RedChaser said:

Not sure but I know a person who should and will post if it’s anything different.
    I’ve been told it’s best not to get too hung up on the vaccines effectiveness before the end of the three week period. The response of people’s immune systems will be different during those first 22 days. You should be developing some immunity but it will be quicker in some more than others.
  • edited February 2021
    Hex said:
    RedChaser said:

I don't know how that could be true. You don't suddenly go from being totally unprotected on day 20 to being protected on day 21. It has to be building up in your body somehow.

Whenever I see things like that I think its more to do with The Government not wanting everyone going out from day 1 thinking that they are now immune & forgetting about lockdown. 
  • As it is, I had my jab yesterday & have felt no iIl effects at all. A slight heavy arm & a little stiffness but no more than if you were moving house & been lifting & carrying boxes all day.
  • I'm 52 years old and had OA vaccine , the  first one, and felt pony for 36 hours - fine now 
  • Hex said:
    RedChaser said:

I don't know how that could be true. You don't suddenly go from being totally unprotected on day 20 to being protected on day 21. It has to be building up in your body somehow.

Whenever I see things like that I think its more to do with The Government not wanting everyone going out from day 1 thinking that they are now immune & forgetting about lockdown. 
    Probably right. Few years since I studies immunology and there are a few processes at work. Almost immediately your body will begin to produce specific antibodies,.but it takes a lot longer for the T cells and long term immunity to kick in. I think the more accurate way of saying it would be "by day 20 you will have the fullest levels of protection..." The idea of a second or booster injection is to kick the immune system into really remembering the virus. I recall getting a Hep A jab where they said if you have one jab it lasts a year, if you have a booster within the year it lasts a lifetime. A similar process is going on here
  • Had mine this morning. At my GP surgery. Very slick process & was in & out within 3 mins. Oxford AZ one with 2nd dose scheduled for 24th April. Expecting some form of after effects tomorrow, but as its Sunday & going to snow I'll just stay on & watch tv all day. 

I'm 54 this month & (surprisingly) was deemed to be CEV all the way through this  pandemic - starting with getting food packages last March which for a family of 4 (3 teenagers) didn't go far & less than 60% was useful. Cancelled them within a month & have been doing the weekly shop ever since.

I think they gave me CEV status due to my corneal graft surgery 2-3 years ago. No one at the GP surgery could tell me exactly why but the thinking is that having "graft surgery" means you've had immune suppressants to stop the graft being rejected. 

Anyway, only thing I've ever got the benefit of so I haven't complained, even though Matt Hancock keeps writing to me to tell me to stay indoors !
    Yeh, that’s the reason, I had a cornea graft 30years ago, it’s a transplant.
  • Pleased to hear people are getting their jabs, I haven’t had one yet, but am happy to wait until I get told I can, more deserving people to go first.
  • As it is, I had my jab yesterday & have felt no iIl effects at all. A slight heavy arm & a little stiffness but no more than if you were moving house & been lifting & carrying boxes all day.
    Got mine yesterday and the upper part of my arm feels like it’s been hit with a hammer ... had the same with the flu jab .. my wife has no effects at all from her jab. 

Just heard my sister-in-laws mother who is in a care home has refused the jab ... she always did the same with flu jabs. 

My sister-in-law has previously said she wouldn’t have it either and nothing could persuade her to do so because it’s wrong to inject such things into your body ... my wife spoke to her today and strangely she has now changed her mind. Why? Because she has realised many countries will insist on it if she wants to travel. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Me and my team had the vaccine last week. One of the girls was up all night throwing up. I got a stiff neck and headache and so did one of my other colleagues. A lot of the blokes had really sore arms for a couple of days. 

We had the Pfizer. Was bloody impressed with how efficient the vaccination system was working. Well oiled machine. 
    Out of interest Rugby - you say ‘me and my team’ - what do you do ?
    Police officer. 

The NHS appear to be throwing away so many Pfizer vaccines due to them having to be used within a short period of time. If it looks like particular vaccination centres are going to throw a load away, they’re contacting local police/fire stations to make them aware and offer them out. We were given an hour and a half to get to the vaccination centre if we wanted to be considered. 
    Good for you - well done - friend of mine took his 80 year mum to get a vaccine - it was near end of the day, and they had some left over - asked him if he wanted to get vaccinated as well - he jumped at the chance

Actually, I might ask my mum if she needs me to accompany her to the vaccination centre.....

You may well be pleasantly surprised mate.  Try it and see.
  • edited February 2021
    Had mine this morning. At my GP surgery. Very slick process & was in & out within 3 mins. Oxford AZ one with 2nd dose scheduled for 24th April. Expecting some form of after effects tomorrow, but as its Sunday & going to snow I'll just stay on & watch tv all day. 

I'm 54 this month & (surprisingly) was deemed to be CEV all the way through this  pandemic - starting with getting food packages last March which for a family of 4 (3 teenagers) didn't go far & less than 60% was useful. Cancelled them within a month & have been doing the weekly shop ever since.

I think they gave me CEV status due to my corneal graft surgery 2-3 years ago. No one at the GP surgery could tell me exactly why but the thinking is that having "graft surgery" means you've had immune suppressants to stop the graft being rejected. 

Anyway, only thing I've ever got the benefit of so I haven't complained, even though Matt Hancock keeps writing to me to tell me to stay indoors !

Good to hear mate..............................that you "haven't complained"!
    Take care.
  • Someone I know had the Oxford jab a week ago. Only side effect they have had so far was a pain in the hip area. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it. 

sorry to hear about your Mum @Hex
    wishing her all the best 

Mine resulted in getting a pain in the bottom.  A bit like last night actually.
  • Hex said:
    Thanks for the good wishes. 
    Mum's symtoms were, interestingly, that of a cold and mainly lots of phlegm - not the dry cough you would expect.  We were unsure whether to take up the offer of a test (PCR) from the on-site carers but decided we would be stupid not to do so.  In any case mum was worse the following morning (Tuesday) and her carers called an ambulance.
    The hospital were planning on discharging her (Friday) providing she was off oxygen for long enough.  However, she had a temperature one night and yesterday afternoon was put back on oxygen due to fluctuating sats.  We wait and hope.
    At the risk of  inflicting TMI on everyone, that was the reason I wasn't sure at first whether I had covid last March, as I was incredibly phlegmy. It was only the fact that I was incredibly breathless and absolutely shattered if I was active for more than a few minutes at a time that differentiated it from a heavy cold. I think that you can't assume it's not Covid if you have a phlegmy cough, but you can't be sure it is either as there are lots of other things it could be. It's why the availability of testing is so important.
    Hope your Mum is well enough to be discharged soon @Hex
  • If you are over 70 and have not been contacted by NHS you can arrange your vaccine appointment by contacting the NHS by visiting the NHS website or phoning 119. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Hex said:
    Thanks for the good wishes. 
    At the risk of  inflicting TMI on everyone, that was the reason I wasn't sure at first whether I had covid last March, as I was incredibly phlegmy. It was only the fact that I was incredibly breathless and absolutely shattered if I was active for more than a few minutes at a time that differentiated it from a heavy cold. I think that you can't assume it's not Covid if you have a phlegmy cough, but you can't be sure it is either as there are lots of other things it could be. It's why the availability of testing is so important.
    Hope your Mum is well enough to be discharged soon @Hex
    Testing is fine if done properly but a lot of the tests have not been fit for purpose. A lot of the LFT tests have been a waste of money - the Govt has gone for quantity over quality.

Our testing strategy has on the whole been a massive failure. More emphasis should have been put on PCR tests.
  • CafcWest said:
    Quick question, do they or can they mix the vaccines up? Are they essentially the same thing? If you had AZ first time willl they or can they give you Pfizer 2nd time?
    That's the testing they are currently doing...they think it will be OK but have 800 volunteers testing it.
    A bit more than just think it will be OK. They have mixed vaccines before and found it offers better protection than a second of the same, as each vaccine produces a slightly different response.
    They are therefore expecting this to also be the case with the vaccines for COVID. Let’s hope so.🤞