Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is this racist?

edited March 2009 in Not Sports Related
A bit tasteless maybe but racist?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Barack-Obama-Russian-Ice-Cream-Advert-Sparks-Racism-Row/Article/200903415247341?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15247341_Barack_Obama%3A_Russian_Ice_Cream_Advert_Sparks_Racism_Row

A Russian company has been heavily criticised for creating a racist ice-cream advert featuring Barack Obama.

Russian advertisers have used Obama in many campaigns

The advert for a chocolate and vanilla bar shows Obama standing in front of the US Capitol Building with the caption, "Everybody's talking about it - Dark in White."

The advert sparked mass outrage when shown on the 'Ads of the World' website, with one blogger asking, "Is the ice cream as tasteless as the ad?"

Alexander Verkhovsky of anti-racism group Sova, based in Moscow, told Sky News: "Violations of political correctness in Russia are clearly acceptable and adverts like this just reinforce ethnic divisions.

President Obama

"The fact this is a mainstream advert is potentially dangerous - the image is not aggressive in itself - but it can foment prejudice in a more insidious way."

The company which produced the advert has defended itself, saying the image isn't consciously or unconsciously racist.

Voskhod advertising agency said: "We see nothing wrong with this...We believe pointing to race is not racism.

"With our ad we are celebrating the fact there is a black president in the White House."

President Obama has been a hit with Russian advertisers since being elected.

The colour of the President's skin has been used as part of a campaign by a tanning salon.

A leaflet has also been released with Obama's image and slogan ""Full Dental Democracy!" to promote a chain of dental clinics.

Comments

• well if obama hasn't a problem with it what's the problem ffs.

another case of the white lperson being offended on behalf of the black who doesn't care.
  • I think he's got enough to think about at the moment - I don't think he'll even be aware of this...
  • Wasn't he self promoting as America's first black President, during the election campaign?
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Wasn't he self promoting as America's first black President, during the election campaign?

Not that I'm aware, in fact he went to great pains to avoid any mention of race. His strategists thought that it would only be a vote loser if he played the race card, even obliquely.
  • Clever marketing. Bound to sell more. Hope Mr Whippy does them. Im gonna ask for an Obama.
  • obama never played the race card ?nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo just everyone else did tho.

take the question to Will smith " isnt it great about Obama ?" Will Smiths response " why whats he done ? or are you just asking me because im a black man?"
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]obama never played the race card ?nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo just everyone else did tho.

take the question to Will smith " isnt it great about Obama ?" Will Smiths response " why whats he done ? or are you just asking me because im a black man?"

Did he say that GH?

if yes hats off to the man funny guy great actor and a man in the real world

i never knew he said that you learn somthing everyday
  • said on Richard and Judy when he was here to promote his last film.
  • Was that for seven pounds - if so brilliant movie very moving!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]obama never played the race card ?nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo just everyone else did tho.

Thats exactly what I meant GH not one interview did the guy mention colour, but everyone one I saw interveiwed on the streets etc, just happened to mention he will be the USA's first black leader (Is it relevant?)
  • i dont think Obama played on it his craisma (sic) would get him through with out the race card. But take Opra Witney she said she wouldnt have the parties on her national show till it was pionted out Obama had already been on twice.
  • The thing is that Obama isn't really black
  • the whole rac issue is out of control and everyone is jumping on it

next if i use a blue ball point i will have been accussed of being racist as i never used teh blk one

Its only going to get worse
  • Obama is not black, he is mixed race, it's just that certain people only want to refer to him as black, and completely ignore the white side of his background.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Obama is not black, he is mixed race, it's just that certain people only want to refer to him as black, and completely ignore the white side of his background.[/quote]
    Fair point.
  • I remember watching that when it first aired, hilarious.
  • I am everyone who wants to be offended will be...
  • Bloody hell, some of the comments from 2009 on this thread…
  • Sponsored links:

• Ledge said:
    well if obama hasn't a problem with it what's the problem ffs.

another case of the white lperson being offended on behalf of the black who doesn't care.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Was that for seven pounds - if so brilliant movie very moving!
    Very low appearance money, I suppose it would cover his Tube fair
  • the whole rac issue is out of control and everyone is jumping on it

next if i use a blue ball point i will have been accussed of being racist as i never used teh blk one

What has the rac done now?
  • iainment said:
    the whole rac issue is out of control and everyone is jumping on it

Who's rac?
  • iainment said:
    the whole rac issue is out of control and everyone is jumping on it

Who's rac?
    Some bloke, who’s heading for a breakdown.
    Used to have a drink problem and went to the AA, however that didn’t work.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!