Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlton v gillingham diiv three, 2009-10

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Looking at the table, the Gills obviously have a v good chance of automatic promotion.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to that potential fixture above all others next season. Apart from that ghastly FA cup game a few seasons ago (how did they beat us with PDC and Carlton Cole up front?) I reckon the last time I saw a serious game between us and them at Priestfield was 1980 in div three.

We won 1-0 (Hales) to set a club record of 14 league games without defeat. Can we repeat that form next season on our return to div three for the first time in 29 years? I'd like to think so.

Tidy side back then for div three - Nicky Johns, Steve Gritt, Lawrie Madden, Peter Shaw,Les Berry, Dick Tydeman, Paul Walsh, Colin Powell, Derek Hales, Kevin Smith and Leroy Ambrose (no relation...)

I fear we'll do well to put out a side with that kind of quality on our return to the lower leagues...

But Charlton v the Gills was always a special game for me. We beat them again on the very last day of the 80/81 season at the Valley (2-1 - Walsh and Smith) , although we were already guaranteed promotion at the first attempt by then.

Bring 'em on, I say !

Comments

• Perhaps josh wright will inspire them to promotion, and upon his return, becomes part of the midfield driving force that takes them apart next season!!
  • Giving players experience in League 1 right now is a very, very good idea. We'll need players like Dickson, Wright, Fleetwood and hopefully, Bailey.
  • You are joking!! All the dins who live round my way who 99% of the time 'support' one of the big four will be out for the Gillingham cause. There will be a bloodbath in the Medway towns for this, I could not stomach getting beat by Palace this season. Now let's think for a second, they go up so will be on the crest of a wave, we go down so will be despondant.

Not a fixture I want to see next season
  • edited March 2009
    i don't want to look at the table for a whole year and see we're in the same league as them! it'd be like the final insult.

i think wycombe have got a couple of games in hand to reclaim the final promotion spot, so with a bit of luck...
  • What are you on about 'no relation'? I'm Leroy Ambrose I tell thee...
  • jesus charlton v gillingham the reality is really kicking in now
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]jesus charlton v gillingham the reality is really kicking in now[/quote]

Yeah, in the league not the cup!
  • [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]jesus charlton v gillingham the reality is really kicking in now

Yeah, in the league not the cup!
    lol
  • we should sell the away end out at theirs!lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]we should sell the away end out at theirs!lol

It'll be a valley gold special!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]we should sell the away end out at theirs!lol[/quote]

It'll be a valley gold special!![/quote]There will be a few of them next season........now is the time to get Valley Gold
  • Dicko will get a good reception
  • Depends whether he's playing for us or them !
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]we should sell the away end out at theirs!lol

We'll take over Tav, old skool day out me thinks.
  • On that poxy scaffolding stand... 'temporary' thats been there for years now!

I'm with Carter on this one. Yeah it's a nice local game for us, but really don't want to be going to that flea pit
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]On that poxy scaffolding stand... 'temporary' thats been there for years now!

I'm with Carter on this one. Yeah it's a nice local game for us, but really don't want to be going to that flea pit

Some cracking stop offs in town or on the way home, some good pubs locally.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]On that poxy scaffolding stand... 'temporary' thats been there for years now!

didnt it used to be our west stand?
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]On that poxy scaffolding stand... 'temporary' thats been there for years now!

Behave DA9! Last time we were there, outside the Southern Belle, we got drenched in spittle by an old jock bloke, as anti English as they came apparently... except he was wearing socks with the St Georges cross on them...
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]On that poxy scaffolding stand... 'temporary' thats been there for years now!

Behave DA9! Last time we were there, outside the Southern Belle, we got drenched in spittle by an old jock bloke, as anti English as they came apparently... except he was wearing socks with the St Georges cross on them...

lol...and I had to avoid scooby all day and rescue his missus from the locked toilet
  • Some good pubs in Rochester anyway, nice little crawl along the high street with the pub on the corner by the bridge that does live music on a Saturday night
  • Sponsored links:

• if millwall go up our only local derby will be : Brentford, Leyton Orient and Gillingham if they get promoted that is if Leyton go down and brentford and gills blow it the nearest derby will be southend.. depressing.
  • I think Orient have got a hatred of us for some reason?
  • I'm not likely the table, Peterborough have moved up to 2nd and MK dons have dropped to 4th. Brighton are in the relegation zone as well. :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Some good pubs in Rochester anyway, nice little crawl along the high street with the pub on the corner by the bridge that does live music on a Saturday night

Yeah that's fair comment. Sounds like the Crown...
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Some good pubs in Rochester anyway, nice little crawl along the high street with the pub on the corner by the bridge that does live music on a Saturday night

Thats the one, does a comedy club on a Sunday night I think?
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Some good pubs in Rochester anyway, nice little crawl along the high street with the pub on the corner by the bridge that does live music on a Saturday night

Didnt sound very funny in there the other week, when part of the ceiling collapsed!

Didnt sound very funny in there the other week, when part of the ceiling collapsed!

So the comedian brought the house down then?

I'll get me coat
  • Bet takings went through the roof!

So the comedian brought the house down then?

I'll get me coat

I'll line 'em up, you smash 'em mate
  • You're thinking of Expectations chaps.

That's the one we got thrown out of last year when I motorboated Vicky.

It's not a gay bar, but it has a very high gay population in there.

No live music in the Crown.