Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fish & Chips (Crackling)

DA9DA9
edited March 2009 in Not Sports Related
Do you think this is a London thing, not many places out near me do it or have heard of it?

Comments

• Love it!

Always ask for a load of it and usually get it thrown in for free round by me.
  • loads of vinegar?
  • Yes please!
  • You have to go to a proper fish and chip shop though. Best crackling I've ever had was from a restaurant in Sittingbourne called the Marino
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]You have to go to a proper fish and chip shop though. Best crackling I've ever had was from a restaurant in Sittingbourne called the Marino

There's only Coxedge in Dartford (Near the Bull pub, Horns Cross) who do it, that I know of.
  • Why are the bottles of vinegar you can buy in a chippy always called Non-brewed condiment and not vinegar?
  • Used to be able to buy a bag of crackling for a few pence when I was a kid...in particular at a chippy off Swingate Lane....cheaper than chips you could say!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Why are the bottles of vinegar you can buy in a chippy always called Non-brewed condiment and not vinegar?

Cos they ain't vinegar.

Cheap chemical substitute that's not brewed.

Anyway everyone knows don't say vinegar....

Say Sarsons
  • what is crackling ?
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]what is crackling ?

its all the little bits of batter left over from deep frying the fish, looks like tiny pork crackling, very unhealthy, but lovely with loads of vinegar
  • Sponsored links:

• also the hard bits of left over chips
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]You have to go to a proper fish and chip shop though. Best crackling I've ever had was from a restaurant in Sittingbourne called the Marino

Used to live pretty much opposite that. Fish and chip shop/restaurant with the Billet pub right next door... why we moved I'll never know!
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]what is crackling ?

its all the little bits of batter left over from deep frying the fish, looks like tiny pork crackling, very unhealthy, but lovely with loads of vinegar
    - Hmm very nice.
  • it is nice occasionaly you get a chip or a bit of fish - Bonus bites i call em!
  • I know them as scraps, always offered them in chippies when i lived up north for a short time.
  • SCRAPS!!

The Missus is from the Boro and they shovel a tonne on top of yer chips then lashes of S & V.

I AM NOW STARVING!!!
  • Just ask at your local and you may be surprised - They are Awesome!
  • Used to get great crackling from the chippy in Holmsdale road bromley run by a Mr. Phillips,used to wrap the fish and chips in Newspaper! Pre health and safety but im still fit as a fiddle.
  • I also know them as scraps comning from York.

We also ask for "one of each" meaning fish and chips.

A friend of mine on his first foray to the south went to a chip shop in Aldershot and asked for "One of each". The confused shop owner said "are you sure?" My friend said he was. The guy proceeded to give him fish, chips, pie, saveloy......................

We only speak English?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2009
    You 100% have to have mushy peas with fish n chips. Most chippies over here don't do it - they offer you friggin' coleslaw instead!