Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Reading Half-marathon

I'm taking part tomorrow, anyone else doing this one?

Comments

• Good for you! Hamilton Ontario Around the Bay 30km here tomorrow...last long run prep for Boston!
  • I'd love to do Boston, Heartbreak hill and all that. Boston is actually one of my running ambitions although I have to run sub 3:15 to get in it! Will you wear your Charlton shirt?
  • Sounds like you're my age group...I did a 3:12 in December. Charlton shirt...now there's an idea...
  • good luck to you both,
  • Thanks kigelia.

Finished the race with a disappointing 2:06. Oh well, signing up for the London Half-marathon in September where I'll go for a PB.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Thanks kigelia.

Finished the race with a disappointing 2:06. Oh well, signing up for the London Half-marathon in September where I'll go for a PB.

Disappointing!!!! Bloody show off ;)
    To finish with anything not resulting in a hospital appearance is pleasing for me.
    Seriously though, well done.
    When out running this morning I was passed by athlete's almost certainly training for the London Marathon, they went passed like an express train, the down draft nearly knocked me over!
    I take my hat off to you "Athletes"
  • I finished my 13 books in a time of One month, 18 days.
    Oh sorry, Reading, not reading.
  • My pal, a charlton supporter, finished yesterday in 1.36. bloody impressive.
  • It's not the time, it's the taking part (yeah, right!).

I have nothing but admiration for the top men in this sport. My particular hero is Alberto Salazar who won the Boston Marathon in the 1980's and had the last rites administered afterwards, but then sort of 'ran it off'. Now that's hard.

Just to put the level of performance into perspective, there's an interesting challenge you runners can try at home - try to beat the World Record for the Marathon (about 2.04) over a one month period. So, you can run any distance any number of times during a day, but over the month you have to do 26.2 miles in WR time.

So, for example - you could try a mile a day, but you'd have to do that mile in about 4 mins 45. Too tough for most of us, so you try 800m in about 2mins 20, but you'd have to do it twice a day. Still a bit tricky? No problem - 4 lots of 400m each in about 70 seconds..... every day for a month. Gulp!

Kind of brings it home, I think.
  • The whole marathon thing leaves me cold - dont know why.
    If you wanna run 26 odd miles, go down the gym and get on a treadmill. Or do 110 laps of your local athletics track.
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointing!!!! Bloody show off ;)
    My PB for the Half marathon is 1 hour 36 mins so I'm way off of the pace. Reading was my first race for two years and my brothers first ever HM, to I tried to get him around under two hours.
    The whole marathon thing leaves me cold - dont know why.
    If you wanna run 26 odd miles, go down the gym and get on a treadmill. Or do 110 laps of your local athletics track.
    For me the reverse is true, the whole Gym thing leaves me cold. I'm always being to to work on my core fitness, go to the gym, work out, the whole experience is always pretty negative, gyms bore the hell out of me. Running is my sport and I like to do well. Reading was my 5th half marathon and I'm currently lining up another half later this year along with a possible place in the Berlin Marathon. What can I say? I just love running.
  • I'm with you VFR. I can't imagine doing the miles on a treadmill, although there are people out there who do all of their marathon training indoors! I love getting outside (in al weather conditions), and to me there is no better way to see a city when traveling than to run it. I really hope that it's something that I'll be able to continue indefinitely, so long as the body holds up...

By the way, I'm a 1:33 half PB, so if you aspire to get to Boston, I'm proof that your PB is within range!
  • edited March 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]I'm with you VFR. I can't imagine doing the miles on a treadmill, although there are people out there who do all of their marathon training indoors! I love getting outside (in al weather conditions), and to me there is no better way to see a city when traveling than to run it. I really hope that it's something that I'll be able to continue indefinitely, so long as the body holds up...

By the way, I'm a 1:33 half PB, so if you aspire to get to Boston, I'm proof that your PB is within range![/quote]

Spot on, Can-addick and VFR. You can keep your gyms with your pastel leotards and branded headbands. Give me horizontal rain, uneven pavements or footpaths and a rabid dog snapping at your heels. Now that's a sport.

Sadly my 'good' years are well behind me now. As with all sports, age and injuries catch up. My advice ......... do it while you can. The time soon comes when you can't.

(sits back in armchair, misty-eyed as he remembers the 'glories' of his youth ........ searching for one more Werthers)
  • edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]I'm with you VFR. I can't imagine doing the miles on a treadmill, although there are people out there who do all of their marathon training indoors! I love getting outside (in al weather conditions), and to me there is no better way to see a city when traveling than to run it. I really hope that it's something that I'll be able to continue indefinitely, so long as the body holds up...

By the way, I'm a 1:33 half PB, so if you aspire to get to Boston, I'm proof that your PB is within range!

Spot on, Can-addick and VFR. You can keep your gyms with your pastel leotards and branded headbands. Give me horizontal rain, uneven pavements or footpaths and a rabid dog snapping at your heels. Now that's a sport.

Sadly my 'good' years are well behind me now. As with all sports, age and injuries catch up. My advice ......... do it while you can. The time soon comes when you can't.

(sits back in armchair, misty-eyed as he remembers the 'glories' of his youth ........ searching for one more Werthers)

Ah thats where your wrong Dave I enjoy the best of both worlds, horizontal rain, uneven pavements while in my pastel leotard and braided headband ;)
    I'm still puzzled how that fine looking young lady managed to overtake me, TWICE on a straight section of road last sunday.
  • I'm with you VFR. I can't imagine doing the miles on a treadmill, although there are people out there who do all of their marathon training indoors! I love getting outside (in al weather conditions), and to me there is no better way to see a city when traveling than to run it. I really hope that it's something that I'll be able to continue indefinitely, so long as the body holds up...

Good news Can. Hopefully if I can get onto a marathon this year I'll have a go at sub 3:30, I'm reserving London 2010 for a Boston qualification time.

Best of luck, let me know how you get on.

When I was getting into my proper London training schedule I used to run along the river from Charlton to Greenwich Cutty Sark via Woolwich, Thames barrier, O2 and then back again. I loved training down there come wind rain or shine. It's what it's all about. Treadmills? Pah!
  • My sister used to live along Manchester Road (near the old London Arena) in Docklands...I used to love, on my trips over to visit her (before Mrs. and little-Can-addick), my regular running route:

down to Island Gardens DLR, through the foot-tunnel to Greenwich, up through the park or Maze Hill, across to Charlton Church Lane, and down to the Valley, where I would dodge the holes in the car park, peer through the gates, and retrace back north of the river...one of my favourite running routes in the entire world, believe it or not!
  • My sister used to live along Manchester Road (near the old London Arena) in Docklands.
    London Arena? When were you last in London? The blessed arena is now a highly exclusive and extremely empty high class residential development.

Yep, I used to do the route through Maryon/Maryon Wilson Park as well, I rate it as highly as you. I always find runs near rivers to be the best (probably because they are usually flat), when I lived in German I used to run along the Rhein which would come a very close second to the Greenwich river route.
  • Oh, know it's long gone...the signs were up on my last visit to see her while she was living out there. She's gone upmarket...in Richmond now, via Putney! ;-)