Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Esports will be bigger than the World Cup

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atari-founder-nolan-bushnell-esports-will-be-bigger-than-the-world-cup-68fjh6qqm?shareToken=19c2f031737d007f9e3c7428c0aa4bb4

Is he right? Young people less interested in live sports? Or Is this just fuelled by his business interests? 

My son is 20 and as dedicated to CAFC as I was at his age. 

I can’t work out whether this is all hype or an Asian phenomenon or the future of sports. This is also in line with what the Real Madrid owners said in defence of the ESL. 

Comments

• It is one of the biggest growing betting products. The viewing figures are huge.
  • edited April 2021
    I've gotten more into watching twitch streams the last few years, watching people play games a lot better than me, especially ones I own and cant be bothered to play myself that evening but even then its occasional viewing.

Have "enjoyed" watching a bit of SimRacing and Rocket League in terms of actual eSports

Things like League of Legends or Fortnite etc. where its an eSport yet isnt a game of an actual Sport is what I struggle with a bit though - Probably because I'm not in the age demigraph so I'll always view actual Sport as better.

I guess kids these days are be exposed to Technology from such a young age with it being used in the classroom is what puts it on a higher pedestal than the things we all currently enjoy as seems its difficult to understand the rules of Football from three years old... the likes of Stroud and Kettle have proven they dont understand the rules even at their age
  • 'Streaming' has boomed during the pandemic. Websites such as Twitch would probably rival any network television channel now in terms of viewers. 

17 year old English kid TommyInnit regularly has 500,000 people watching him play minecraft live. That is crazy numbers considering how niche of an interest it is in wider society. 

The problem is that because people enjoy many different games, it would be difficult for a single game to become as widely loved in esports like football is in society. Fortnite tried but it fell away very quickly after a year or so. 
  • 4 years ago while I was at uni I was amongst other things a contracted esports player because I was good and it was easy side money. Even I wouldn't call it a proper sport or call it bigger than football. I would argue a major pro it has in its favour is the fact that it's not PPV or you don't need to buy a BT or Sky package to access it, ease of access is its major selling point. I am reasonably sure if it did viewing figures would drop. 

• The problem is that because people enjoy many different games, it would be difficult for a single game to become as widely loved in esports like football is in society. Fortnite tried but it fell away very quickly after a year or so. 
    Same thing is happening with music, so many different genres/bands.
  • I’ve never watched e-sports, but what would happen, if the following happened during a match?
    It’s the final of a big tournament, it’s 0-0 between Player A and Player B.
    5 mins to go and one of Player A’s strikers is through and one on one with Player B’s keeper.
    Then the computer crashes.
    Can they somehow reset the game to that exact position, after a reboot?
  • bobmunro said:
    It is one of the biggest growing betting products. The viewing figures are huge.
    Bob how much is bet on a big game?
  • Uboat said:
    Danepak said:
    I’ve never watched e-sports, but what would happen, if the following happened during a match?
    It’s the final of a big tournament, it’s 0-0 between Player A and Player B.
    5 mins to go and one of Player A’s strikers is through and one on one with Player B’s keeper.
    Then the computer crashes.
    Can they somehow reset the game to that exact position, after a reboot?
    The virtual crowd all throw their virtual merchandise catalogues onto the virtual pitch.
    And then, eventually, Germany wins
  • Sponsored links:

• It is a growing market, but it will never replace the World Cup, Olympics etc. Regardless of how many people tune in, that emotional connection people feel with real sports for major tournaments will always trump all.

Cant imagine any eSports competition will ever lead to people going out on the streets celebrating a big win etc.
  • Does anyone over 30 play? I imagine some of these youngsters play for 12 hours a day.
    Once they get older, have families how will they be able to compete?
  • Yeah, would never get a footballer aged 30. 

How would he train and travel around the country when he has got a family. 
  • Well there was that one bloke who was dating the Mexican weather girl: Yanet Garcia (You're welcome) yet dumped her to focus on Call of Duty
  • edited April 2021
    PopIcon said:
    Does anyone over 30 play? I imagine some of these youngsters play for 12 hours a day.
    To answer A) not many, most are reaction based  so prime is 21 ish and most I know "retired"pre 25
    b) can only speak for myself but my contract was practice 8 hours a day, since no longer competing (I quit to make sure my last year of uni went well) I've completely gone off games, the burnout was immense for me.

• MrOneLung said:
    Yeah, would never get a footballer aged 30. 

LTKapal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Does anyone over 30 play? I imagine some of these youngsters play for 12 hours a day.
    To answer A) not many, most are reaction based  so prime is 21 ish and most I know "retired"pre 25
    b) can only speak for myself but my contract was practice 8 hours a day, since no longer competing (I quit to make sure my last year of uni went well) I've completely gone off games, the burnout was immense for me.

30 year old footballers don't have to train for eight hours a day. Although most people who work will have to work eight hours a day. No doubt to be the best it is more than eight hours.

Eight hours a day of playing computer games, that's a depressing thought.
  • Imagine how good this kid must be at FIFA. This isn't against his mates, this is against other world class players. Ridiculous.

"Anders Vejrgang became an internet sensation this year with his record-breaking FUT Champions weekend league performance of 535 wins in a row. A span that lasted over 17 weekends and multiple game changing patches without a single defeat in FIFA 21’s most competitive game mode. This is a feat that no player has even come close to, let alone a player so young that he cannot legally compete in official events."

Vejrgang is a 15-year-old Danish player whose streaming and professional career was kick-started when he signed for Red Bull in September 2020. This impressive streak saw his stream and socials grow as part of his meteoric rise all within a few months."

• Imagine how good this kid must be at FIFA. This isn't against his mates, this is against other world class players. Ridiculous.

"Anders Vejrgang became an internet sensation this year with his record-breaking FUT Champions weekend league performance of 535 wins in a row. A span that lasted over 17 weekends and multiple game changing patches without a single defeat in FIFA 21’s most competitive game mode. This is a feat that no player has even come close to, let alone a player so young that he cannot legally compete in official events."

Vejrgang is a 15-year-old Danish player whose streaming and professional career was kick-started when he signed for Red Bull in September 2020. This impressive streak saw his stream and socials grow as part of his meteoric rise all within a few months."

He's not the best FIFA player in the world though, if anyone here has ever watched pro FIFA players this kid really acts his age, constantly winding opponents up and being, as the youth say, "toxic".

He also loses in other competitions and against other pros quite a bit, he's just had a crazy streak in Weekend League which is a single mode in the game
  • PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Yeah, would never get a footballer aged 30. 

LTKapal said:
    PopIcon said:

30 year old footballers don't have to train for eight hours a day. Although most people who work will have to work eight hours a day. No doubt to be the best it is more than eight hours.

Eight hours a day of playing computer games, that's a depressing thought.
    These pros are exactly that, they don’t have / need other jobs. 
  • Yes it's real and it's coming.

Asia has it worked out. More importantly, American schools are slowly investing into eSports facilities to attract as many kids/families as possible (I should know, that's my job!) and that means it'll only be a matter of 5-10 years before the same sweeps through UK schools too.

With that said, I don't think it's necessarily a threat to traditional sports as in my experience there's no massive overlap between kids who are dedicated to sports and kids who are dedicated to video games - so many kids who play video games say they dislike traditional sport and vice versa. Of course there's some overlap but not enough to really have the negative effect that people like Perez might allude to.
    Eg Marcus Maddison trying to move from actual football to FIFA (and COD) streaming...
  • Sponsored links:

• Game of cribbage down the social club anyone?
  • edited April 2021
    Do people watch eSports primarily because they enjoy the gameplay itself or because they support players/teams? How much of its rise is down to streamer culture and how much is down to the drama of the sport? I play computer games and always have, but I can't get into watching other people play them competitively. Most of them are too fast to even realize what's going on, or there are 10 people playing and you're only following one. Even something like FIFA or PES, I'd rather be playing than watching. So I'm interested what other people get out of it.
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    It is one of the biggest growing betting products. The viewing figures are huge.
    Bob how much is bet on a big game?

Significant sums!
  • sam3110 said:
    Imagine how good this kid must be at FIFA. This isn't against his mates, this is against other world class players. Ridiculous.

He's not the best FIFA player in the world though, if anyone here has ever watched pro FIFA players this kid really acts his age, constantly winding opponents up and being, as the youth say, "toxic".

He also loses in other competitions and against other pros quite a bit, he's just had a crazy streak in Weekend League which is a single mode in the game
    I get called toxic all the time playing rocket league as I purposely demolish people. Great fun knowing some 12yr old is getting riled up over a game!
  • I am not sure whether it will ever be bigger, however it has certainly been growing and with social media/twitch its thriving. I went to Vegas, a few years back and we popped in to an e sports arena (possibly at MGM, i forget) there was a final going on and the buzz and over top reactions were crazy, although saying that the winning team won £200k,. They had friends/ family all on the sidelines or viewing area cheering them on, the game they were playing i hadn't seen before it was a bit like fortnite but like a magic version. Imagine how big COD/Fortnite/Fifa is right now , its a huge audience. 
  • cafcpolo said:
    sam3110 said:
    Imagine how good this kid must be at FIFA. This isn't against his mates, this is against other world class players. Ridiculous.

I get called toxic all the time playing rocket league as I purposely demolish people. Great fun knowing some 12yr old is getting riled up over a game!
    Sad, like i play fifa but not enough really. Getting kicks from riling up children or people online is sad, i am sorry but sometimes my mates will say something similar and i am like why do you care. The same with the game itself, if i get annoyed i turn it off its just a game after all. People moan about scripted (on fifa) or other things, lifes to short, i'll be lucky if i play 5-6 hours a week really. I have played the odd champions weekend and i am very average, my team is nowhere near good enough compared to others so i expect to lose coming up against people with half icons and Messi/Mbappe and other overpowered players, a nice challenge but i dont get the ridicule element personally.