Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Netbooks

any recommendations peoples ??

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]any recommendations lads ??

Sexist!
  • edited March 2009
    edited !!!
  • edited March 2009
    Wimp!
  • Samsung NC10 looks good. £300+, but you can get them free if you sign up to Mobile Broadband.

Dell are selling off Inspiron Mini 9, for £199, as they are bringing out a Mini 10, soon.
  • The only recommenadtion I can make is not to go to PC World.
  • Yep. Don't buy one - they're shite.
  • of those I have made use of the Acer Aspire is the nicest one I have come across. They are all performance wise laregely similar from what I have seen.

they useless if you have big fingers as the keyboards are generally quite small. Ideal for a bit of remote IT support and web browsing on public transport but if you need much more than that then I would go for something bigger.
  • Obvious question, what do you want to use it for? I've got an Asus EEE 701, which is great for when I'm away from home, as it's nice and light, and as long as I'm somewhere that has wireless internet access or will let me connect in to their lan, than I can web browse, word process etc without any difficulty. It doesn't have a CD or DVD drive, so music and videos need to be converted to MP3 or AVI format and written to a memory stick or card first, but given that you can now get a 2gb SD card for less than a fiver, that's not a major trauma. As it's running on a version of linux, the look and feel is a little different from windows, but you don't remotely have to be a computer guru to use it.

That said, I wouldn't have one as my main PC - the keyboard's a bit on the small side, and I prefer using a mouse to a touchpad for long periods of time, the monitor's titchy and there are times when you do really need a DVD drive. But for travelling it's great!
  • I have on old Dell Inspiron which is about 8 yrs old and so slow. Currently have Talktalk Broadband at home but it's costing 12.99 as our exchange hasn't been converted yet (?). Thought I'd dump that and get Mobile Broadband so I can get online at home and out and about. Whilst doing so there are some good packages available from the networks for a 'free' netbook and BB. Only really use it for surfing and accessing iTunes with a bit of emailing. Would always have the Dell as back-up if I need Word, Excel etc. Thought I'd ask for recommendations before I plunged in.
  • My wife has an Asus and its perfect for surfing the web.

In fact last time I went on business I took her laptop instead of my Hp as I really only needed to access spreadsheets from our Internet email system, which I couldnt look at on my BB.

I found in the airport the wireless connection was good and watching on line tv was no problem.

for a cheap Internet machine and little actual computing they are ideal
  • Sponsored links:

• May well be worth waiting for the Apple netbook which is allegedly due in a few weeks.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]of those I have made use of the Acer Aspire is the nicest one I have come across. They are all performance wise laregely similar from what I have seen.

they useless if you have big fingers as the keyboards are generally quite small. Ideal for a bit of remote IT support and web browsing on public transport but if you need much more than that then I would go for something bigger.[/quote]

got one highly recommend it
  • I bought a Acer Aspire for my girlfriend for Christmas, it's excellent. 160 GB harddrive and 2 GB Ram, decent processor all for under £290. The size of the keyboard is an issue but that has to be balanced out against the portability, you can slip the acer into your bag and take it anywhere without a thought.

The only down side is that at the time of purchase I was still able to buy the pre-loaded XP version (the Linux is even cheaper, about £220), not sure how much you'd have to pay for a Vista version as you'd need a larger processor/memory to run the software. Because it's rubbish.