Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE ONE AND ONLY END OF SEASON STATBANK - VERSION 2

With so many of us using Charlton TV this has been quite a season for marks. You lot were generally on good behaviour with few wayward remarks, thanks Leuth for your forbearance, and most of you keeping to my, sometimes, illogical order of players. I'm sure there is a mistake or two here which you will tell me and I'll amend the original for posterity.
Now time for a rest and soon to learn a whole new set of player names.
Oh yes and thank you Mr S for making it all possible.
EDIT- Many thanks to my proof readers for showing me the errors of my way, I have corrected where necessary and relaunched the stats with corrections.

Comments

• Erm @lancashire lad, why's Chuks shown as runner up in the Hall of Fame table and not Amos?
  • Fascinating that we didn't win the games where we had most possession and we won all of our games where we had our worst possession. 

BTW - The MK Dons (A) should read 0-1 rather than 1-0, unless it was MK Dons (H) which makes my first statement wrong! 
  • aliwibble said:
    Erm @lancashire lad, why's Chuks shown as runner up in the Hall of Fame table and not Amos?
    yes you are right the original will be altered
  • Fascinating that we didn't win the games where we had most possession and we won all of our games where we had our worst possession. 

BTW - The MK Dons (A) should read 0-1 rather than 1-0, unless it was MK Dons (H) which makes my first statement wrong! 
    I think that % possession is the most ambiguous of stats as you can have a team that keeping knocking the along their back line and have high possession stats but it does not indicate attacking prowess. And yes it should be 0-1
  • I think the Wimbledon game was at home not away?
  • The Wimbledon 5.2 game was a home game!
  • edited May 2021
    Superb work, thanks @lancashire lad

I wonder if 8 red cards in a season is a record for us? 
  • I think the Wimbledon game was at home not away?
    thanks
  • Great work as ever

Fascinating that Gunter has the most minutes on the pitch for an outfield player, whereas Aneke is WAY down that list.

Also really interesting that Matthews got no bookings and only made 5 fouls all season - a sign of a good defender, or a sign of a defender not getting tight enough? No idea!
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh for the days when Christian Daly was our second best player.
  • edited May 2021
    Well played Lancs lad, I don't believe your legs have gone just that every one else is getting faster !

Enjoyed the stats and the marks despite we have our share of Donuts who mark players on previous matches not the here and now.

9 out of 10 for Lancashire Lad.
  • There doesn’t seem to be any annotation to show the impact my throwing away my lucky underpants and the use of my new Charlton mug? 
  • Great work LL!
  • You've accidentally put James Maddison instead of Marcus
    Cracking loan signing for next season. Let’s get that on the rumour thread.
  • Superb work, thanks @lancashire lad

I wonder if 8 red cards in a season is a record for us? 
    I'll absolutely second that...many thanks @lancashire lad for a season's great work!!
  • Thanks very much LancashireLad.  I’m one of those who make no contribution but remain totally absorbed nonetheless.
  • Yes top work much appreciated
  • Well done Lancashire Lad, thanks for your efforts throughout the season 👍🏻

If only James Maddison did play for us 😲
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks LL. Great work again.

Surprised we let in 16 goals in the 15 minutes before half-time yet every other 15 minute period was a single figure amount.

• Thank you for all your efforts. Now can we please never mention Blackpool (H) again. 
  • Brilliant work as per usual @lancashire lad

thanks so much for all your efforts 
  • Great stuff @lancashire lad
    Interesting to see the same ref for the two Hull games featuring in both best and worst rating
  • brilliant
  • Brilliant work @lancashire lad thank you so much. Not just for the end of season statfest, but for the solid work right through the season.
  • Great work @lancashire lad

These stats are always a really interesting read. In addition to the player ratings, the stats are more important than ever with the demise of match programmes in recent years.
  • edited May 2021
    Can everyone check out the possession stats:

In the 5 games when we had 60+% of possession we won only one game.

In our 5 games when we had our least possession with 30+% we won all 5 games.

An acquaintance who is a manager of a Corals did stats on his team a few years ago and very similar results when in the majority of their wins they only had 30 to 36% of possession, yet in four home matches they lost they had 60+% of the ball.

Chances created and taken ratio will always be the most important stat, but since the academies have focused on ball retention over the last 20 years, you do notice games where the passing becomes aimless when a team will be in the final third yet will then pass back and the ball with end up with their own keeper. if you are Man city I understand up to a point but not for the lower Divisions that we find our selves in.

Pass and move and give the player on the ball options, mainly in a forward movement.

Tactics and formations have always fascinated me and if you get an opportunity give it a go as a coach or manager especially if you have young kids into football and they need a parent to step forward.

Not for the faint hearted as aggro is never far away even in the younger groups; mainly with Parents including Mothers ! 

• edited May 2021
    What I find incredibly interesting is Liverpool (and most big clubs I imagine) have a computer programme that can predict what the most effective ball a player can play is (in terms of creating a genuine goal scoring opportunity). Then they run footage of a player they may be interested in through this and they get a sense of their effectiveness where possession and passing stats would tell you nothing.

I think they also use this to improve the decision making of current players who may play too many 'safe' but ineffective balls. I was wondering whether we have anything similar. I have no idea what it costs to do this but imagine it wouldn't be cheap. But I suppose it has the potential to save money. (About 28 minutes in on clip below).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4DrUHKC0Q&t=1775s
  • Good work Lancs.