Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can someone tell me...

...exactly how Ashley Cole is an international left back?

Can he defend? No
Can he pass? No
Can he cross? No
Can he score? No

So he's a non-scoring, non-creating, non-defending left back. I can see only 2 things in his favour, he's reasonably pacey and he plays for a big club. Surely their must be better options out there. Even Luke Young as a right footer is better defensively at left back, though I'd personally go for Leighton Baines. He can actually defend, as well as getting forward as an attacking left back should (decent crosser, decent shot, decent set-piece delivery).

Comments

• Another one of those players who the fans dont rate, yet the managers do.....I cant see what he does that commands such high fees/salaries myself either, and I just plain cant stand the bloke...the morals of a eel
  • edited April 2009
    Lol, I was only takling to my mate about that last night. Whenever an oppo player gets close to him he passes backwards. If he was right footed instead of left he'd just be an average player. The same with Downing, becuase he's left footed he gets in the England squad. If he was right footed instead he'd be playing in league 1!
  • he was jank last night,

lost count the amount of times he gave the ball away
  • [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]
    Can he defend? No
    Can he pass? No
    Can he cross? No
    Can he score? No
    Are you describing Kelly Youga?
  • Bellamy + Cole = 2 Twats.
  • Trevor Francis was on the radio the other night. They were reminiscing the '82 World Cup and they were talking about how England never seem to get to the finish line in tournaments these last 40 years. Francis said that in the 70's and 80's when he was playing England were always described as having good players when they went into WC'c etc but these days the England squad is full of "World Class" individuals. He didn't mention anyone by name but I guess Mr Cole is one of them. I am fed up with the likes of Cole, Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry etc etc being described by fellow English players as the best Left Back, Centre Half etc etc in the world.
    Too many of our players believe their own publicity. It's not just the players, managers and certain parts of the media do it too.
  • edited April 2009
    Both our full backs were poor last night and Glen Johnson was worse than Cole IMO. Cole gets forward well but little end product but Johnson is just all round very, very ordinary. Only 12 caps to his name though so a long way to go yet.
  • to be fair CFW Johnson had that two bob pile of shit Lennon in front of him who got no intelligence at all to play iNTERNATIONAL football and doesn't hardly track back and half the time Johnson was marking two players.
  • Neither Cole nor Johnson looked very good last night, but on the whole I thought England played well and got the result they deserved. I love Rooney's work rate, the little bugger just never gives up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair comment. Lennon was by far the worse player in a white shirt out there last night, he has pace to burn and when he bothered he skins defenders and can close down so fast but just don't bother.

Only played a handful of games to be fair but for me he's one of the crop of modern players who doesn't realise the worth of hard work, thinks looking the part and showing flashes is what it's about.

Incidentally the squad that started last night have over 600 caps between them, you'd never have noticed.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Both our full backs were poor last night and Glen Johnson was worse than Cole IMO. Cole gets forward well but little end product but Johnson is just all round very, very ordinary. Only 12 caps to his name though so a long way to go yet.

I agree, cant abide Cole, but people will happpily jump on his performance first.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Neither Cole nor Johnson looked very good last night, but on the whole I thought England played well and got the result they deserved. I love Rooney's work rate, the little bugger just never gives up.

Come on, admit it, who else thought, as soon as he lost that ball in the 2nd half that he was going to launch himself into the next tackle....I cringed for a few seconds before he did it, only for the ITV commentator to say the Ukraine was basically a diver as he did it in the Champions League at Arsenal.

Love Rooney, but that temperament needs to be contained, or it could cost us dearly.
  • teddy was spot on tho after it was almost the same as gazza on charles, rooney was very lucky he could hav ended his career there and then last night, i think he really needs anger maangement and counciling the boy has issues, if he wasnt a pro he would be a liverpool thug.
  • i was gobsmacked rooney didn't get sent off. soon as he did it turned to my dad and bruv and said he's off.

had the biggest bell ends ever in front of us last ngith as well Oxford fans. My god they did my head in. booed whenever lampard touched the ball - had to have words in the end.

And one of the plums had a fecking england shirt on with lampard on it.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]had the biggest bell ends ever in front of us last ngith as well Oxford fans. My god they did my head in. booed whenever lampard touched the ball - had to have words in the end.

And one of the plums had a fecking england shirt on with lampard on it.
    What a cock. Been years since I've been to an England game and I'd quite forgotten how much the club mentality takes over some people. Strange as it felt supporting the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole etc, I wouldn't boo them for the sake of it.

My son made me chuckle when he said he misses not seeing players like Rooney at the Valley now. Kids who love football love quality players no matter who they are.
  • In the last few weeks at club level probably the best central midfielder in the world at the moment has been instrumental in ripping apart Real Madrid, Man Utd and Villa.........so we play him left midfield and he has hardly any effect whatsoever.
    You'd have thought of all people that Capello wouldn't put reputations ahead of the team, but no he plays Gerrard and Lampard and we all know you cannot play him and Lampard in the same midfield effectively. You have Gerrard playing alongside a holding player like Barry or Carrick or Hargreaves if/when he's ever fit again and you tell Frank to like it or retire from internationals.
    Admittedly the left midfield alternative until Joe Cole is fit again is Downing so we're a bit stuck but if we go into a major tournament with gerrard isolated on the left we'll get nowhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]In the last few weeks at club level probably the best central midfielder in the world at the moment has been instrumental in ripping apart Real Madrid, Man Utd and Villa.........so we play him left midfield and he has hardly any effect whatsoever.
    You'd have thought of all people that Capello wouldn't put reputations ahead of the team, but no he plays Gerrard and Lampard and we all know you cannot play him and Lampard in the same midfield effectively. You have Gerrard playing alongside a holding player like Barry or Carrick or Hargreaves if/when he's ever fit again and you tell Frank to like it or retire from internationals.
    Admittedly the left midfield alternative until Joe Cole is fit again is Downing so we're a bit stuck but if we go into a major tournament with gerrard isolated on the left we'll get nowhere.

What about a certain Ashley Young? He's a genius. I know 'cause i heard O'neil say so. ;)
  • Another average display from England at Home which again is very frustrating. Becks coming on as Sub being the highlight of the game for most fans it seems. Cole was a disgrace & should be dropped, Lampard missing in action AGAIN FFS. Why Gerrard was not playing upfront behind Rooney was a complete mystery left midfield...sorry MR Capello making same mistakes as all the other previous Managers. Bottom line though is we won, so it did not spoil my day out, we had seven in a Minibus drinking all day & all night, head was not the best this morning mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] Why Gerrard was not playing upfront behind Rooney was a complete mystery left midfield...sorry MR Capello making same mistakes as all the other previous Managers..

Agree that Gerrard should not be left midfield as i've written a couple of posts above yours, but the argument for not playing him up front off Rooney is that Rooney himself performs more effectively as the 2nd striker because he's not a targetman.
  • Sponsored links:

• I understand your point Chris but Gerrard right now is the best player in his position for his club in the world right now, we should be moving other players around to accomodate him not the other way round.
  • If I heard correctly England had never previously won 4 world cup games on the spin. Now it's 5.
    You won't hear me criticise Capello if we win every game.
  • come on ketters he's getting the job done and qualifying, looks like, easily from a tricky group. Let's judge when we in SA
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]come on ketters he's getting the job done and qualifying, looks like, easily from a tricky group. Let's judge when we in SA

I know what you're saying Ledge but when we do get there, we won't be lucky enough to play against teams as poor as that lot were last night for long - and we still nearly messed it up.
  • Totally of subject but I turned on the TV last night and following a minute's silence for some reason there was booing. Now I'm guessing the silence was for the stadium accident in the Ivory Coast but why the booing?

Oh and tottally disagee that Cole is sh**e. Yes he wasn't at his best yesterday but put in a few good challenges and played alot better than others, such as Lennon and johnson. Oh and its not really his job to score goals and have not seen him miss many clear cut chances.
  • The booing was because there was a fair bit of noise coming from the Ukraine fans during the silence so when the ref blew the whistle people started to boo them
  • The only reason why Cashley gets in my team everytime: