Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone training for London...

..this weekend? Got a half marathon myself on Sunday and this weekend will be your longest training run won't it? Is it 3 weeks away?

Good luck to you if you are running this year.

Comments

• I wouldn't recommending doing a long (anything over a half) training run any later than 3 weeks prior...a lot of training plans have you doing the longest 4 weeks before. To all of those who are giving it a shot (I'd love to someday...hard to get in applying from abroad), good luck and enjoy your taper!
  • good luck to any here doing it. there is a god article on tapering in the latest edition of runners world that suggests a slightly different approach to tapering. if anyone wants acopy of it i am happy to scan it for you.
  • edited April 2009
    I did the London Marathon in 2006. Absolutely brilliant. The best way to get on it is through a charity, you have to raise a minimum sponsorship but it's not that hard to raise the money.
    there is a god article on tapering in the latest edition of runners world that suggests a slightly different approach to tapering.
    I started my taper 3 weeks before running 24 miles for my last long training run. My last full training week I ran 65 miles including 13 miles running up and down Shooters hill. For me a four week taper feels too long.

Good luck for Sunday Les.
  • VFR...I agree. Three weeks is plenty for me, and even that is three weeks of feeling anxious...

24 miles is certainly a good, long, training run!
  • i am going to do this next year i hope
  • [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]VFR...I agree. Three weeks is plenty for me, and even that is three weeks of feeling anxious...

24 miles is certainly a good, long, training run!

I concur! You're bursting to go in the last 3 weeks as it is and I think another one and you'd start to lose a bit of fitness.

24 miles in training = too long IMO unless you're doing an Ultra. Hope to do another London next year if possible.
  • 24 miles in training = too long IMO unless you're doing an Ultra.
    Well it depends. I was working from a training base of long slow distance running. In hind sight I probably needed less distance and more speed but the thing is I actually like running for 3 hours at a time. Since London I've not run another marathon but I'm desperate to get back up to those distances but with some more pace work thrown in. I've joined a running club (Dulwich Runners)so I'll see where that takes me.
  • Speed work is where my training tends to be lacking. By all accounts, makes a huge difference...I really should do more...
  • I hate doing speed work. I try doing Fartleks or just running 60% of my maximum BPR during some training sessions. I know I need to do it to improve which is why I've joined a running club. They do track sessions a couple of times a week specifically for people like me.
  • speed work does indeed make a big difference, but only if you have done the mileage. I see no problem doing a 24 miler in training either, mainly from a mental point of view it will show you that you can do it. The traditional rule of thumb of doing a few 20 milers as your longest run is fine, but i worry that 20 miles gets you to some or the quietest parts of the london course and the next mile or two can be very unforgiving if you are feeling bad at this point. Knowing you already have longer runs in the bank actually makes a big psychological difference at this point that i don't think should be underestimated.
  • Sponsored links:

• ..i worry that 20 miles gets you to some or the quietest parts of the london course and the next mile or two can be very unforgiving if you are feeling bad at this point.
    Yep, that's about right. The hardest part of the London Marathon is the 18-19 mile mark. Just after you get past Canery Warf you have to go through Poplar and if you haven't hit the wall by then (I hit it around mile 17) you will be soon.

It's a desolate stretch of the race, with very few supporters and with the pain starting to kick in it's Psychologically very difficult. I think running over 20 miles in training gave me the belief that I could get though that difficult section. From Mile 20 to about 22 you have the Highway to contend with, people running in the opposite direction on the other side of the road, sparsely populated spectators, again, very difficult.

The good news is that at the end of The Highway is Tower Hill. the year I ran it there was a temporary stand set up and there must have been 15-20000 people lining the roads. The noise was phenomenal. I'll never forget it. It was like walking through a very long, dark tunnel of pain before going out into the light. Just thinking about that point in the race is what gets me going.
  • I haven't done London so can't comment on the course, but agree that 20 miles isn't enough. I've always been comfortable with 22 at least twice, but preferably three times. 24 just struck me as quite long, but there is something to be said for knowing that you are good for the distance. Re speedwork, it's needed if you want to go fast, but the long runs are critical. You won't finish without them, let alone in a decent time, or without injury!
  • edited April 2009
    I am running this year for Samaritans

http://www.justgiving.com/jamesboyce (plug plug)

I will be doing 22 miles on Good Friday (for the 5th time) and that will be that. This is my first marathon so am obviously a novice but as been said on here 3 weeks taper is plenty for me. I seem to recover pretty quickly after the big runs so I think 2 weeks and 2 days will be fine. I have done loads of training for this and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 2009. Can't wait for the big day now. Hopefully I can complete it in less than 4 hours but just looking forward to doing it and a well deserved beer in the evening (as well as plenty of water too).
  • Good luck! No better feeling than going into it knowing that you're well prepared, and if you've done 5 x 22 miles, you certainly are. Try to enjoy it...you're in for a treat! That said, I'd recommend that you go on the Runners World website and read about the taper a bit. It helped to convince me, because it feels like a long three weeks of not doing enough. It's far too tempting to do too much, and at this stage, you'd likely do well to leave well enough alone. Cost/benefit starts to strongly favour rest...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Low_Ears[/cite]I am running this year for Samaritans

[url]http://www.justgiving.com/jamesboyce[/url](plug plug)

I will be doing 22 miles on Good Friday (for the 5th time) and that will be that. This is my first marathon so am obviously a novice but as been said on here 3 weeks taper is plenty for me. I seem to recover pretty quickly after the big runs so I think 2 weeks and 2 days will be fine. I have done loads of training for this and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 2009. Can't wait for the big day now. Hopefully I can complete it in less than 4 hours but just looking forward to doing it and a well deserved beer in the evening (as well as plenty of water too).[/quote]

Boyceeeee - top man!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Low_Ears[/cite]I am running this year for Samaritans

http://www.justgiving.com/jamesboyce(plug plug)

I will be doing 22 miles on Good Friday (for the 5th time) and that will be that. This is my first marathon so am obviously a novice but as been said on here 3 weeks taper is plenty for me. I seem to recover pretty quickly after the big runs so I think 2 weeks and 2 days will be fine. I have done loads of training for this and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 2009. Can't wait for the big day now. Hopefully I can complete it in less than 4 hours but just looking forward to doing it and a well deserved beer in the evening (as well as plenty of water too).

22 is about as much as I ever run in training and even then I generally only do it once or twice so you are well up for it fella. Just remember to use that taper period properly as there's pretty much nothign you can do to improve your run during that time but loads that'll knacker you instead. You will have a great day and make the most of it....as they say you never forget your first!
  • I'll be out, plodding around 18 tomorrow morning, and then a 16 next Sunday, and then I'll taper down. Previously I've done 20+ in training, but this time because of injury, 18 is the longest I'll do. This will be my 4th London Marathon, and it's a great day - once you've finished.

At 23 miles, in my experience, it usually feels like a pretty shit sort of day...
  • I have nothing but admiration and envy for all of you.

The very best of luck
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The hardest part of the London Marathon is the 18-19 mile mark. Just after you get past Canery Warf you have to go through Poplar and if you haven't hit the wall by then (I hit it around mile 17) you will be soon.

It's a desolate stretch of the race, with very few supporters

Really, I normally go for a few beers on marathon day down Poplar, the resolute, with a band and stuff there, normally quite a few supporters there.
  • Good luck to all those running on Sunday and Low_Ears I have finally got round to sponsoring you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks very much HH. If anyone else would like to sponsor me please see the link below - all donations of all sizes are much appreciated.

http://www.justgiving.com/jamesboyce
  • Good luck to all...the conditions look wonderful, and are at least supposed to be warmer than Boston was last weekend!
  • If anyone is coming to watch look out for me I will have a dark blue Samaritans vest on and have "Boycie" on the front and "Low Ears" on the back. Number 43697