Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Refereeing during the Euros

Been pretty impressed so far. Have generally let the games flow and not dished out too many cards.

Comments

• Been pretty impressed so far. Have generally let the games flow and not dished out too many cards.

Quite agree and any VAR decisions are dealt with quickly, unlike the PL.
  • I think if you look at other European Leagues and competitions, it really highlights how poor the refereeing is in this country. Especially at the high level. 

Whether it's PGMOL or just quality of ref, something is not going well. 
  • Some of these refs will wave play on for anything less than attempted murder. 
  • Uboat said:
    Some of these refs will wave play on for anything less than attempted murder. 
    Good. It makes for better viewing and stops the cheating. 
    Has helped the games flow.  
  • Agreed, also,  the use of VAR makes our EPL lot look like complete muppets.
  • Going back to Saturday, thought the referee, Mr Taylor, was brilliant with the way he coped with the unfortunate circumstances in the Denmark/ Finland match. 
    As I said elsewhere the referees do what they think is right and, hopefully, they are the only one of the 23 on the pitch who don't deliberately cheat.
  • Uboat said:
    Good. It makes for better viewing and stops the cheating. 
    Absolutely. I’m all for it, especially when a player has done the ‘aaaaaargh’ as they fall over. 
  • Uboat said:
    If you’ve got VAR there is no need whatsoever to stop the game unless the ref saw exactly what happened and is certain it was a foul. Play on and let somebody watching the playback check to see if there was a foul committed or not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Refs have been good, really showing up English refs. 
  • It's working better than the Premier league because there are more VAR officials i think.

"Every game will have a VAR referee, an assistant VAR referee and an offside video referee who focus on specific incidents."

Pretty sure we don't have that many for PL games.

• Refs have been good, really showing up English refs. 
    I don’t think I it’s so much as showing up the ‘English refs’ as showing up the regime & rules/guidance they are given in what they can and can’t do. When these tournaments come around there is always a few ‘innovations’ put in place. I suspect this one might get rolled out elsewhere next season 
  • The wider lines used in offside decisions are a good step forward.
    I was always uncomfortable with the fact that the ball already seemed to be moving before they set up the lines. These give a bit of leeway in favour of the attacker.
  • That Russian referee yesterday was the worst I’ve seen all tournament 😳
  • Anyone notice the assistant give offside from the corner in first italy match I think it was. They played short corner in first half nothing given. Second half other assistant give offside and warned them when they tried it again he’ll give offside again.can’t be offside direct from corner