Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good bye away goals

UEFA have announced that the away goals rule will be scrapped from the start of the new season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57599780

Comments

• Long overdue change to what was a reasonable idea fifty years ago!
  • So away teams will just park the bus then.
  • I thought that they were going to say that in the event of a draw the team with the most gay flags wins.
  • So away teams will just park the bus then.
    They normally come by plane to European games these days.
  • I thought that they were going to say that in the event of a draw the team with the most gay flags wins.
    Give it time 
  • The way football is going I'm surprised they haven't declared that the tie will go to the team making the highest sealed-bid in Swiss francs.
  • At least with the old away goal rule, the idea was to encourage away sides to attack rather than just resort to all out defence
    Really? That doesn't seem likely.
    That's a very silly idea indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• in a world where Champions League teams rock up on private jets and start in 6 Star accommodation, the rule was dead
  • I always thought it was too encourage away teams to go for it a bit more, but I'm certainly no expert. 
  • So potentially a team can play 90 minutes away and then 120 minutes + penalties at home with all goals counting the same. 

Seems like a bit of an advantage to me. 
  • So potentially a team can play 90 minutes away and then 120 minutes + penalties at home with all goals counting the same. 

Seems like a bit of an advantage to me. 
    Doesn't the second leg go to the team who performed better in prior stages? In that case, the perceived advantage is valid.
  • I always thought it was too encourage away teams to go for it a bit more, but I'm certainly no expert. 
    I think that was the original reason.
  • Get rid of the rule before UEFA start flogging games to neutral venues (to the highest bidder)….Qatar etc…
  • edited June 2021
    At least with the old away goal rule, the idea was to encourage away sides to attack rather than just resort to all out defence
    There is no reason for it anymore. In actual fact, you could argue it’s been around long enough now to have the opposite effect.

The way goals rule doesn’t encourage more attacking for an away team, only more defending for the home team who don’t want to concede.

When the rule was first introduced, there was over a goal in difference between home and away on average (2.02 - 0.95). They had to find a way to balance it more evenly.

Now it’s closer to 0.4 difference which is in alignment with most domestic leagues around the world. The rule is redundant.
  • Does the fact that there are now more away goals prove it worked?
    Now it is obsolete, matters may return to the original difference?
  • So it means more ties decided on penalty kicks. Is that the intention? 
  • Does the fact that there are now more away goals prove it worked?
    Now it is obsolete, matters may return to the original difference?

Of course. The more something changes, the more it stays the same. UEFA are just putting the cliché into practice.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    It always sounded wrong anyway. The away goals didn’t count double. If it did, losing 4-2 away and winning 1-0 at home would be good enough. The team that scores the most away goals went through in the event of an aggregate draw.
  • We will see what difference it makes I suppose. It might not make much as some teams will see the away game as an opportunity where there is more safe and some teams park the bus anyway.