Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford United Away [14/8/21] train travel

edited July 2021 in Match Day Travel
Now it appears that Covid restrictions will have been lifted by the beginning of the season, i  am sure people will want to know the cheapest options to travel by train to away matches.
Trains to Oxford depart from Paddington & Marylebone, journey time from Paddington, approx 55 minutes, from Marylebone 90 minutes approx.
Cheapest advance single tickets are £5.40 [£3.55] on the Marylebone route & a day return ticket costs £ 28.90 [£19.05]
Allow at least an hour travelling time between Oxford Station & the Kassam Stadium.
Railcard fares in brackets.

Comments

• Are they actually selling match tickets to away Fans yet, are we allowed to go?
  • Are they actually selling match tickets to away Fans yet, are we allowed to go?
    I'll go sightseeing if I've not got a ticket 
  • clb74 said:
    Are they actually selling match tickets to away Fans yet, are we allowed to go?
    The hop on, hop off bus around Oxford is worth a go.

If allowed full capacity that would include away fans you would assume. 
  • I have just booked and am travelling from Marylebone.
    What was interesting is that going on the Chiltern website showed up different fares(cheaper) compared to going through Trainline.
  • edited July 2021
    clive said:
    Now it appears that Covid restrictions will have been lifted by the beginning of the season, i  am sure people will want to know the cheapest options to travel by train to away matches.
    Trains to Oxford depart from Paddington & Marylebone, journey time from Paddington, approx 55 minutes, from Marylebone 90 minutes approx.
    Cheapest advance single tickets are £5.40 [£3.55] on the Marylebone route & a day return ticket costs £ 28.90 [£19.05]
    Allow at least an hour travelling time between Oxford Station & the Kassam Stadium.
    Railcard fares in brackets.

I don't think @ME14 will be attending.
    What was interesting is that going on the Chiltern website showed up different fares(cheaper) compared to going through Trainline.
    ***warning to all*** he is on the 09:42. Please do not get this train unless you don’t mind being pickpocketed by an elderly 5ft man that is wearing clothes from 1972. 

5.33' actually, I was measured on my last hospital visit two months ago.
    The split ticket website is worth a look.  We're going to Edinburgh with three tickets and coming back with two but not changing trains and saving £50.
  • Sponsored links:

The split ticket website is worth a look.  We're going to Edinburgh with three tickets and coming back with two but not changing trains and saving £50.
    Be aware that if your ticket says Edinburgh it won't let you through the barriers at Oxford (well it didn't for me).
  • clb74 said:
    Are they actually selling match tickets to away Fans yet, are we allowed to go?
    Ah, the city of dreaming spires.

Where our dreaming aspires for the season come crashing down. 

You're going to Edinburgh to get to Oxford ?  Impressive.
    Can I politely ask how you expect to get a match ticket, as you haven't been to a Charlton game in years?

• Booked.
    What trains you on CE
    Can I politely ask how you expect to get a match ticket, as you haven't been to a Charlton game in years?

Ballboy
  • Just a heads up the ground is miles away from the Station 
    An easy bus journey
  • clb74 said:
    Booked.
    What trains you on CE
    10.42 & 19.40.
  • Sponsored links:

Go on the Oxford website and look for 'Directions to grounds'. 
    Budget on around 60 minutes from station to ground.
  • edited July 2021
    I have just booked and am travelling from Marylebone.

General sale(hmmm), chums, or from Oxford.

OR, from here once people have spares, then I'll pounce.
  • Despite the ground location we always have good support, what kind of allocation is available this season, and will away fans even be allowed. 
  • Unfortunately, Oxford City has suffered a major Covid outbreak during late June and early July, putting it firmly in the worst ten areas in the country. There's no question of a travel ban but  the government is advising people in Oxford to be cautious about non-essential travel in and out of the city to help stop the spread of the virus.

I don't know the background but the numbers presumably reflect the very high student population.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/article/1903/enhanced_government_support_for_oxford_to_bring_high_covid_cases_down

• I now have to work, so have a day return ticket available(on a network South East card).
    Outward 9.42, Return 19.40
    PM if interested.
    The Trainline is never the way to get the cheapest fare. Their share price dropped by around 30% when the government announced revisions to the National Rail site to show the cheapest fare including split ticketing.
  • Any idea when the tickets for this go on sale?

The away tickets page on Charlton website is blank.

I went on Oxford website and they're selling tickets for home areas (and tickets for their first away game of the season).  Not sure why Charlton haven't announced anything.
  • Bump, still got my train tickets available.
  • Wednesday have been given 3,000 tickets for next week so we can expect full allocations for away fans now.
    I still have train tickets at a very reasonable sub £10 price going for Oxford on the 14th August.