Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Father Christmas visits

I know it feels a mile off, but a couple of Father Christmas grotto visits I was looking at for the kids have been sold out already, so looking at options - probably the last year my eldest will believe in Father Christmas so want it to be a good one, proper beard, nice experience etc but then don't want to (/can't!) pay some of the crazy prices for Lapland UK & the like.

Anyone know of good ones around Kent/London?

And yes, I'll ask him for 3 points and a decent midfield while I'm there.

Comments

• Did one a couple of years ago at Polhill Garden Centre which wasnt too bad.

Thanks for the reminder as looked myself a week or two ago and places like Ruxley were already selling out.
  • edited September 2021
    I’m sure we did Ruxley manor garden centre a while back and it was pretty good. Not been there for a few years now though. 

Edit: never mind, just noticed post by  @ForeverAddickted
  • Lapland UK was undoubtedly one of the best things I’ve ever done with my kids. Worth saving up for.

Hever Castle have always done a good grotto & visit, though sells out quickly. 

A Father Xmas train somewhere like Tenterden was also really enjoyable when they were younger.

Ruxley is always popular. 

I’m massively going to miss all this :-( 
  • We did the Santa Special on the Kent & East Sussex steam railway when our daughter was younger, which was very good.
  • Lapland UK was undoubtedly one of the best things I’ve ever done with my kids. Worth saving up for.

A Father Xmas train somewhere like Tenterden was also really enjoyable when they were younger.

Was looking at Hever Castle - they seem to have a Light trail etc too but not sure if it's all separate.

Wanted to book Fortnum and Mason, they do a storytelling with Father Christmas, went a couple of years ago and it was brilliant and only about £25 each surprisingly for F&M.  But it went on sale Monday, I didn't know, and it's already sold out!
  • Always go Ruxley manor bexley.  The tickets came out couple weeks back so the best times and dates might be gone now but defo worth a punt.
  • How much was Lapland UK of you don't mind me asking?  What else was there beyond the Grotto?
  • Believe it's only November dates available for Ruxley. December dates usually sell out the first day they release tickets.
  • Sponsored links:

Could you not pass off as a youngster AFKA?
  • Slightly different, we visited Christmas at Bedgebury last December.  Nice long trail with light exhibits all the way round.  Santa was standing outside his cottage in the woods all night.  Not the sort of grotto where the kids go and sit on his knee or anything like that but something nice to do.

Not sure what my wife paid for the tickets but dont think it was overly expensive, unlike the hot chocolate!

Could you not pass off as a youngster AFKA?
    Thought this was AFKA.

• I know it feels a mile off, but a couple of Father Christmas grotto visits I was looking at for the kids have been sold out already, so looking at options - probably the last year my eldest will believe in Father Christmas so want it to be a good one, proper beard, nice experience etc but then don't want to (/can't!) pay some of the crazy prices for Lapland UK & the like.

WHAT??!! 
  • We are doing Ruxley this year and been told it's worth every penny. I let the mrs book it but she said tickets sold put near enough instantly for the dates she wanted.
  • I know it feels a mile off, but a couple of Father Christmas grotto visits I was looking at for the kids have been sold out already, so looking at options - probably the last year my eldest will believe in Father Christmas so want it to be a good one, proper beard, nice experience etc but then don't want to (/can't!) pay some of the crazy prices for Lapland UK & the like.

WHAT??!! 
    There's this rumour going round that the parents put the presents underneath the tree.

Crazy I know.
  • Believe it's only November dates available for Ruxley. December dates usually sell out the first day they release tickets.
    Think it's even crazier this year as so many were closed last year 
  • We do ruxley every year but always make sure it's in December as just feels more Christmassy for the kids. 

Totally forgot to set an alarm for the day the bookings open. Remembered at lunch time on the day but most dates in December and especially times we could do had all sold. 

Someone recommended polhill which takes bookings a week later than Ruxley, again forgot to set an alarm but when I checked the website had crashed and stopped taking bookings. They set it to re open again a few days later so made sure I set an alarm this time and was lucky enough to get a Christmas eve slot at Polhill. Hopefully it's as good as Ruxley normally is.
  • We usually do the Dymchurch railway Santa Express - good fun, train trip to visit Santa in his grotto, present for the kids and hot food / muled wine etc all included - takes a couple of hours in total but my kids loved it

It’s a real shame when it stops mate. No more grotto visits, putting out food for the renideer, santa letters etc. One redeeming thing though is the fact that I don't make a tit of myself at the school nativity play by crying (think I did it every year).
  • Sponsored links:

• We usually do the Dymchurch railway Santa Express - good fun, train trip to visit Santa in his grotto, present for the kids and hot food / muled wine etc all included - takes a couple of hours in total but my kids loved it
    We did that and Spa Valley Railway different years when they were pretty little, but the concern now is that the Santa wasn't that convincing and they are at that age where they'll be well aware it's a fake beard etc, I need a good Santa!
  • Castle Howard in North Yorkshire due a fabulous “Winter in Narnia” experience. Not local for most of you I realise but I’ll be taking my granddaughter in December.
  • We went to Lapland a few years ago with Canterbury Travel.  4 or 5 nights over Christmas.  Best trip ever.  Save up and see your kids faces - it was incredible and totally unforgettable
  • Swisdom said:
    We went to Lapland a few years ago with Canterbury Travel.  4 or 5 nights over Christmas.  Best trip ever.  Save up and see your kids faces - it was incredible and totally unforgettable
    I'd love to do that, but a) extortionate and b) presume there's all the covid tests as extra hassle and expense this time.

Hasn't stopped me entering every competition Canterbury Travel have run in the last year or so to try and win a trip!!
  • edited September 2021
    Any bearded freeloader in a red onesie comes into my house at night I'm sorry but I am not waiting for the old bill to decide whether they are going to come round and offer him a nice bed for the night and a cup of tea, I'm going in with my golf clubs.

That's the tone we usually go for on this forum, isn't it?
  • My kids weren't as excited about visiting Santa as I'd hoped.
    Is Milton Keynes39s Winter Wonderland the worst-ever Christmas attraction   Christmas  The GuardianIs this Britain39s worst grotto Bin-bag Santa moves in to York  YorkMix

It’s a real shame when it stops mate. No more grotto visits, putting out food for the renideer, santa letters etc. One redeeming thing though is the fact that I don't make a tit of myself at the school nativity play by crying (think I did it every year).
    I'm dreading it, it's 90% of what makes Christmas good.

Basically Christmas is good for young kids and then from about 18 to 25 when you all go and get drunk together on Christmas Eve etc, the in-between stage either as a child too old for Father Christmas stuff but too young for drinking, or (I assume as not there yet) as a parent of those ages, just not as good.
  • How much was Lapland UK of you don't mind me asking?  What else was there beyond the Grotto?
    Did it last year and won't get much change out of £500 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Stupid amount of money but you can see where it goes as it's incredibly well done. Makes a full day of it with various rooms and activities you go to before seeing the fat bearded one.
  • I think Santa Claus posts on here, you should inbox him