Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meta - Facebook rebrand

It appears they’re getting some criticism and ridicule for this. Not sure how it’s going to change much to be honest.
Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Is it a tax dodge? Like when your local curry house used to change it's name every couple of years but always still had the same people working there.
  • I frequently wonder how lives are enhanced by Facebook, and if there is a downside, and if the plus and minus is in balance.
    The most annoying aspect is the assumption of those with Facebook, tweeter, what’s application, instant Grammy, and linked in, assume others are on that stuff too.

• Facebook still remains, as does insta and WhatsApp and whatever else under the old 'facebook' banner. The holding company has been renamed, that's all.
  • It is just the parent company name changing. 

Just like google changed the company name to alphabet a few years ago. 
  • edited October 2021
    seth plum said:
    I frequently wonder how lives are enhanced by Facebook, and if there is a downside, and if the plus and minus is in balance.
    The most annoying aspect is the assumption of those with Facebook, tweeter, what’s application, instant Grammy, and linked in, assume others are on that stuff too.

I use linkedin a lot. Its basic premise means its used appropriately and isn't a free for all. I'm on Facebook but have no profile and dont have friends / make comments, it just allows me to use the platform. I have never been on twitter / whatsapp / any other platform (apart from CL...) 

Social Media has opened up the world and in the right hands it's incredibly useful and powerful - of course it is also a cesspit of bile and one of the most dangerous social phenomena ever created. Balancing those two elements is one of the greatest challenges the world faces.
  • edited October 2021
    I suppose the same questions could be asked of Charlton Athletic Football Club Life, seeing as it's a social media platform as well. What are the enhancements that it brings to people's lives? If there are any then you can probably apply those to the other platforms, too.
  • Hal1x said:
    I suppose the same questions could be asked of Charlton Athletic Football Club Life, seeing as it's a social media platform as well. What are the enhancements that it brings to people's lives? If there are any then you can probably apply those to the other platforms, too.
    CAFC is not for enjoyment or enhancement to peoples life. Its for suffering and disappointment to make peoples otherwise more humdrum lives seem more less of a burden and therefore more tolerable.
    Absolutely this, and of course to enrich the mods beyond the dreams of Midas through the holding company Vastco Industries plc. I expect.
  • It’s to align itself with its future developing the metaverse, but in the short term it’s an attempt to distance itself from the current scrutiny it is under.
    Mark Zuckerberg looks like he was grown in a GM lab.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s to align itself with its future developing the metaverse, but in the short term it’s an attempt to distance itself from the current scrutiny it is under.
    Mark Zuckerberg looks like he was grown in a GM lab.
    Gormless Minge?
  • seth plum said:
    I frequently wonder how lives are enhanced by Facebook, and if there is a downside, and if the plus and minus is in balance.

Other than Whatssap, I don't use any of them and don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • seth plum said:

I use linkedin a lot. Its basic premise means its used appropriately and isn't a free for all. I'm on Facebook but have no profile and dont have friends / make comments, it just allows me to use the platform. I have never been on twitter / whatsapp / any other platform (apart from CL...) 

Social Media has opened up the world and in the right hands it's incredibly useful and powerful - of course it is also a cesspit of bile and one of the most dangerous social phenomena ever created. Balancing those two elements is one of the greatest challenges the world faces.
    How does that work @SporadicAddick ?

what usage do you get and what do you as an individual get from it?
  • seth plum said:

Other than Whatssap, I don't use any of them and don't feel like I'm missing out.
    You’re not, and good on you, the whole premise social media, and indeed wider society plies its trade under now is FOMO!
  • seth plum said:

Feel like I should get a profile just like this. Amount of businesses that don’t have a website just a Facebook page is quite large. 

• seth plum said:

I'm similar - it's useful for seeing announcements and news from the groups for the local area which are good at letting you know about forthcoming events, local traffic issues and trade and service recommendations, so it's almost a replacement for a very local paper. It's a read-only thing as far as I'm concerned.

• seth plum said:

I've signed up and if anyone looks for me they will see that I (or at least my name) exists. But there is no profile, no picture, no details and I dont accept friend requests nor comment on anything.

But it means I can access all available facebook pages including work ones and local info sites (I probably only look at 3 or 4).

Occasionally of course, its also fun sometimes to look up people that you used to know and see what they are up to (It's not stalking!)

I'm not sure that facebook has any gravitas with anyone under the age of 20, so in due course it will evolve into something else.
  • Think the Gabby Petito case has recently served as a sad reminder that people don't live the lives that their Instagrams seem to present.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Might take this as an opportunity to gently step away from the toxic thing that Facebook has been for quite a long time now. The addictive quality of social media has been an eye-opener.
  • The metaverse is going to be a completely new technology. 

We'll all have our own avatar that can do some real fancy stuff, but I most look forward to the (avatar) punch ups in the Macro car park. 

It's interesting stuff, but not sure it does anything for human relationships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOn2CZWnxxY&t=3684s
  • cabbles said:
    Always amazes me how wonderful some of my friends lives look on Facebook and how average to crap they tell me they are when I meet them!  
    Echo this.  My profile is still on there, but stopped going on there years ago.  Same for Instagram.  Downloaded and shared a couple of photos, but within days it was making me sick with all the self indulgent, look at me posts and photos.  And that was my friends 😂

genuinely think it compels people to just show off.

you get it on LinkedIn as well.  I have to be on LinkedIn and use it a lot as I’m in sales.  It’s definitely part of my strategy to put up content and share as it helps build the profile of the product I sell, but I shudder at some of the stuff that goes up.  Ex-IBM or Ex Google in a job title is a little hate of mine.  So what?  

Someone I was connected to the other day posted about his ‘non negotiables’ and things no one can interrupt.  They included learning Spanish for 30 mins every morning, meditation - he practices the Win Hoff breathing technique if we were wondering and something about religiously exercising and reading everyday.  These are the sorts of people I can’t stand.  Why do we need to know about your ‘non negotiables’ and your, look at me I learn a language post.  I don’t go on there and tell everyone I need to have 15 mins on the bog every morning to scroll through the latest threads about Insulate Britain, or moan about how useless Chris Gunter is.  It’s the same thing 

Like you I use Linkedin a lot, and the virtue signalling has racheted up in the last couple of years. My pet hate is the posts that start with

"So this happened"

"I got fired"

and the many variations on a theme. 

Usually a whole post constructed in multiple three word sentences as if that's going to make it more believable or interesting. It doesn't, it makes then sound like twats.
  • How does WhatsApp make revenue?
    I know it used to be a quid on Apple phones, but that was yonks ago.

If indeed a quater of the adult population on earth uses WhatsApp, it must cost a fortune to run.

Is it simply about gathering personal data?

I know there is a business option, but i've never heard of anyone using it for that.