Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New walking route from Woolwich to the Kent coast

Comments

• Awesome news. May even try it this weekend (if not next)
  • I mean, I've done Woolwich to Erith at least twice already, so starting at Erith and heading out obviously, wouldn't want to over-exert ;)
  • Annoying that you still have to double back between Crayford and Dartford marshes 
  • I live in West Thamesmead on the path, and walk up and down it every day. Have only got as far as Erith so far, but will try getting as far as Dartford at some point
  • cafctom said:
    I live in West Thamesmead on the path, and walk up and down it every day. Have only got as far as Erith so far, but will try getting as far as Dartford at some point
    I've also done the section which continues through Crayford Marshes to Crayford and beyond, as that's part of the London LOOP walk, which I'd definitely recommend.

• Probably quicker than South Eastern trains too. 
  • Jacko needs to take the players there & hopefully lose half of them in the salt marshes & mud flats. 
    Or maybe Crossness. A few of them will blend easily in the sewage
  • Looks like you have to still come inland at the Dartford barrier/river Darenth?
  • Shocking idea, keep Londoner's in London, not allow them to enter Kent via a footpath.

B) 
  • Sponsored links:

• In my late childhood, me and my mates (whatever happened to them all) use to cycle along a similar route a couple of times during a summer or three .. now ? .. I'd stick to driving  :)
  • There's a photo on that article titled "Grain Coastal Park at the end of the route, with Southend in the distance."  I'd just like to say, that's the best place to have Southend, preferably as big a distance as possible.
  • RedPanda said:
    Looks like you have to still come inland at the Dartford barrier/river Darenth?
    Yes - and it’s a lengthy detour as well - I may be wrong, but initially I think that pedestrians / cyclists could go across the flood barrier, but for years it’s been gated shut

Just beyond the flood barrier, going downstream, is the remains of Long Reach Isolation Hospital https://dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk/long-reach/long-reach-introduction/
  • RedPanda said:
    Yes - and it’s a lengthy detour as well - I may be wrong, but initially I think that pedestrians / cyclists could go across the flood barrier, but for years it’s been gated shut

Just beyond the flood barrier, going downstream, is the remains of Long Reach Isolation Hospital https://dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk/long-reach/long-reach-introduction/
    Yes, that is a major detour - all the way back out to that busy road and back again to see the other side that you saw about an hour before! I wonder why it isn't open to walk/cycle across.
  • RedPanda said:

Yes, that is a major detour - all the way back out to that busy road and back again to see the other side that you saw about an hour before! I wonder why it isn't open to walk/cycle across.
    Probably something to do with insurance would be my guess.
    My worry is that people will try & cross through the mud on low tide rather than the hour long detour. Accident waiting to happen.
  • RedPanda said:

Really interesting reading up on this.
  • RedPanda said:

Agreed, fascinating … had no idea about this 
  • Although fictional wasn't Long Reach where Magwhich tried to escape in the Thames in the Dickens novel Great Expectations?
  • There's a photo on that article titled "Grain Coastal Park at the end of the route, with Southend in the distance."  I'd just like to say, that's the best place to have Southend, preferably as big a distance as possible.
    Grain Coastal Park is a lovely place for a walk.
  • Richard J said:
    Although fictional wasn't Long Reach where Magwhich tried to escape in the Thames in the Dickens novel Great Expectations?
    No - that is at Cooling on Cliffe Marshes 
  • Sponsored links:

• This looks good - i've done the Erith to Greenwich stretch plenty of times but never gone the other way from Erith - will give it a try - anybody got any tips on where to park if starting at somewhere just east of the Dartford bridge? 
  • stonemuse said:
    RedPanda said:

Agreed, fascinating … had no idea about this 
    Dartford has a rich history in terms of medical care and the pharmaceutical industry - if you look at the first page of the website link I posted you will find that Dartford had more than it’s fair share of medical facilities, and adjacent to the Temple Hill estate was the huge Welcome pharmaceutical factory (now sadly all gone)

https://dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk/ 

I regularly walk my dogs on Dartford Marshes - not everyone’s cup of tea, as it’s flat and remote, but I really like marshes (I go to Cliffe regularly as well) - there is an abandoned firework factory on Dartford Marshes - access is easy, but take care if you go in the buildings - scroll down on this website and you will find pictures of it 

https://www.derelictlondon.com/south-of-the-thames-factories-and-warehouses.html
  • DOUCHER said:
    This looks good - i've done the Erith to Greenwich stretch plenty of times but never gone the other way from Erith - will give it a try - anybody got any tips on where to park if starting at somewhere just east of the Dartford bridge? 
    Asda car park in Greenhithe is just East of the bridge - short river walk from there to Swanscombe Marshes where the theme park is supposed to be built, then on to Gravesend, and after Gravesend is Higham Marshes, and then Cliffe Marshes - plenty to see, incl old Napoleonic forts - some parts are industrial, but that’s the nature of the area - I reckon Greenhithe to Cliffe Marshes and back is a days walk in summer time
  • It’s worth pointing out that it’s not only at Dartford Marshes you have to detour inland - most of the Northfleet stretch you are not walking next to the river (very industrial around there), and a small detour inland at Gravesend marina - one really weird place is Broadness ‘Harbour’ on Swanscombe Marshes - it’s like something from the third world https://www.remotelondon.com/swanscombe-peninsula-london-resort-theme-park-threat/
  • DOUCHER said:
    This looks good - i've done the Erith to Greenwich stretch plenty of times but never gone the other way from Erith - will give it a try - anybody got any tips on where to park if starting at somewhere just east of the Dartford bridge? 
    Asda car park in Greenhithe is just East of the bridge - short river walk from there to Swanscombe Marshes where the theme park is supposed to be built, then on to Gravesend, and after Gravesend is Higham Marshes, and then Cliffe Marshes - plenty to see, incl old Napoleonic forts - some parts are industrial, but that’s the nature of the area - I reckon Greenhithe to Cliffe Marshes and back is a days walk in summer time
    ok many thanks
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    ok many thanks
    You can’t walk next to the river if heading East from Asda Greenhithe at first - you have to walk down Greenhithe High St, and when you get to the Pier pub, that’s when you can begin walking next to the river - once on Swanscombe Marshes, head for the massive electricity pylon (tallest in UK) and after the pylon you will get to Broadness ‘Harbour’ - very weird place, where you will you think you will meet the banjo boy from the film Deliverance !!!
  • edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    ok many thanks
    You can’t walk next to the river if heading East from Asda Greenhithe at first - you have to walk down Greenhithe High St, and when you get to the Pier pub, that’s when you can begin walking next to the river - once on Swanscombe Marshes, head for the massive electricity pylon (tallest in UK) and after the pylon you will get to Broadness ‘Harbour’ - very weird place, where you will you think you will meet the banjo boy from the film Deliverance !!!
    okay thanks - is there a place to join the walk a bit further east where you stay by the river more? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    ok many thanks
    okay thanks - is there a place to join the walk a bit further east where you stay by the river more? 
    It’s only a 5 min walk from Asda car park to the river - alternatively, if you want to skip Swanscombe Marshes and Northfleet, there is free parking by Gravesend Sailing Club, but you would have to walk through the rather rough industrial estate for a few mins before you are out by the river - there is a quirky pub called The Ship and Lobster next to the river in the industrial estate - funny place, but I quite like it https://whatpub.com/pubs/GRA/0216/ship-lobster-gravesend
  • I Would like to do this but im currently waiting for a double knee op .
  • fadgadget said:
    I Would like to do this but im currently waiting for a double knee op .
    It will transform your life - my Father in Law had double knee replacement - incredible - now walks 5 miles every day - unbelievable the technology these days