Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bee nests

edited May 2009 in Troubleshooting
Last week,while out in the garden playing football with my littlun,i noticed a bee crawl into and then out of a little hole in the bottom of a small wall i've got out there.Didn't think much of it untill i was out there today and saw it happen again.Decided to fill the hole with some ant powder(Is there a bee powder??) and then a load of earth from a flower bed and quickly ran inside.Thing is,ive now got 7 or 8 pi55ed off bee's trying to get home only to find the door aint opening.Anyone know if i need to do anything else?

Seem to remember a wasp nest problem i had once and had to get an exterminator in my loft.He told me you have to kill the queen first and the rest will bugger off soon enough when they realise the old lady's pegged it.I'm guessing the same applies to bee's?

Any honeycomb heads out there who can help?

;-)

Comments

• Buzz off mate
  • I find this whole topic "Bee-littling".
  • I usually throw stones at them and see if it kills them in one hit
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I usually throw stones at them and see if it kills them in one hit

No throwing stones when you are near all those greenhouses Nathan !
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I usually throw stones at them and see if it kills them in one hit

Do you get stung often Nathan?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I usually throw stones at them and see if it kills them in one hit[/quote]

Do you get stung often Nathan?[/quote]

Never have been
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I usually throw stones at them and see if it kills them in one hit

Do you get stung often Nathan?

Never have been

Did you buy a season ticket last season ;0)
  • Un block it.....Bees are pretty harmless and do a lot of good in the garden...wasps I can understand, a nuisance (albeit good for the garden) but they sting indiscrimanently and are generally a pest.
  • Sounds like miner bees. We've got them at the front of our house, had an exterminator in but they always come back.
  • I got a man round to clear some wasps from my garden - I didn't like the thought of trying to clear them myself. Within 15 minutes, he had removed the nest. He charged £500 for the work. When my wife got him, she asked how much he charged. "500 quid, I said". "Christ, you've been stung", she said.
  • Sponsored links:

• The council will usually clear them if you do want rid.
  • buy each bee a Crunchie Bar.
  • No! Save the Bees! No problem with 'em, they don't do any damage, help with your garden and will do anything they can not to use their sting. Unlike wasps which as everyone knows are complete and utter psycho's. Napalm those b####ds off the face of the earth.

Seriously if they are only in you garden wall I'd leave 'em. BTW I don't think the council will clear out a bee's nest either only wasps.
  • Dont block it up or harm them. Bees are on the decline (especially Bumble) in the Uk. We put up a box for them and have a nest in our garden. Lovely little things and never seen so many flowers in bloom in the 6yrs we've lived there
  • Absolutely, bees are being wiped out by a virus that seems to have come from America where bee-keepers have lost millions of them. They're essential for pollenating almost everything that grows and people are seriously worried about what's happening to them.
  • You can buy a bee nest for the garden. Might do it actually.
  • Thats what we did SHG. Nathan should be able to get you a discount when he starts his new job ;)
  • I get loads of bees in my garden, they love the honeysuckle. I'm not bothered by them and am generally petrified of insects! Wasps though are another matter, Chav Scum of the insect world.
  • Now i feel guilty.Thing is ,my boy is highly inquisitive.The more and more we start to get the more likely he is to start sticking his little fingers down that hole.So on the grounds of safety i'm afraid the bee population has just dropped by a few.Sorry.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Now i feel guilty.Thing is ,my boy is highly inquisitive.The more and more we start to get the more likely he is to start sticking his little fingers down that hole.So on the grounds of safety i'm afraid the bee population has just dropped by a few.Sorry.

Boo!!! Bee killer!

Actually I'd be surprised if you got them all anyway so don't go counting your chickens just yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Now i feel guilty.Thing is ,my boy is highly inquisitive.The more and more we start to get the more likely he is to start sticking his little fingers down that hole.So on the grounds of safety i'm afraid the bee population has just dropped by a few.Sorry.

Boo!!! Bee killer!

Actually I'd be surprised if you got them all anyway so don't go counting your chickens just yet.

So what do you do with a chicken nest?
  • wifey found one in our old back garden a couple of years ago - she was trimming an unruly Holly bush and saw this massive nest. She ran indoors but was stung on the wrist, leg and bum.

She phoned me - I happened to be in New York at the time on business - and was rather upset.

We got a guy around to get rid of it and it cost something like £35

I feel bad killing anything but if it attacked my wife then it has to suffer
  • The highest density of Bees in the country is normally found round Griffin Park.

FACT
  • you'll get bee keepers who will happily come round and collect the nest - as long as they are bees!
  • who acts like a right pansy when a bee or a wasp come near you that you could be mistaken for a highly excitable woman ?
  • I like the idea of a bee nest in the Garden. How much are they?
  • I bought this fancy Bumble Bee nest, made from bamboo, from B&Q for £20 ish

Having said they compeletly ignored it and nested in the old bird box right next to it.....