Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cambridge Away train tickets - Monday 18th April 2022

Not seen a thread for this, but train tickets to Cambridge on Easter Monday are currently available for under £20.

Super off-peak return for £19.50 (£12.85)
Off-peak return for £28.50 (£18.85)

Railcard prices in brackets

Comments

• Think If you go via London Bridge and on Thameslink to Cambridge, it’s same price on the day. 
  • Think If you go via London Bridge and on Thameslink to Cambridge, it’s same price on the day. 
    Only 2 direct rains an hour on that route I think, and takes about 90 mins.
  • Booked a super off peak return to Cambridge North as that's much closer to the ground so better for after the game.
  • Croydon said:
    Think If you go via London Bridge and on Thameslink to Cambridge, it’s same price on the day. 
    4 per hour from London Bridge, 3 per hour from Charlton 

• shine166 said:
    Croydon said:
    Think If you go via London Bridge and on Thameslink to Cambridge, it’s same price on the day. 

Where are you seeing 4 direct trains an hour from London Bridge on the 18th?
  • Cambridge in the same league as us and direct trains from London bridge?! Wow progress.
  • 4 trains an hour out, only three trains an hour back after the match. That is to Cambridge main station. Whilst it is a longer walk  (2 miles) than from Cambridge north there are buses.
    Cambridge also has a park and ride system with two routes going near the ground. If coming up the M11 head for the Trumpington park and ride just off junction 11 and take the bus to the Grafton centre and walk along the Newmarket Road to the abbey stadium. You can also go to the Newmarket Road Park and ride, near Cambridge airport  and catch a bus to the centre, which passes the ground. Get off at the B&Q on Newmarket road which is next to the ground. There is very little non-retail parking near the ground and the newmarket road retail outlets B&Q, Homebase and Tescos can be a bit iffy on occasions. It is only 1.2 mile walk from the Newmarket Road Park and ride as well

• Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Croydon said:

Sorry missed the direct bit 
  • A word of warning about Cambridge North station; it looks closer to the ground on a map but the ground is across the railway line and I know from previous experience that the detour makes it closer to the walk from the main station.
  • Cambridge Station

Cambridge Rail station is located in the city centre and is a 25-30 minute walk from the ground. To get to the ground walk away from the station along Station Road and take the first right, (Tenison Road). Take the first right again, (Devonshire Road), follow this round to the left, up to the next junction. Turn right - again - onto Mill Road. Walk over the railway bridge, then take the third left, (Sedgewick Street). Follow this road, pass a set of traffic calming barriers, and shops (at this point you are in Cromwell Road) to a T-junction, (Coldham's Lane). Ahead of you should be a large field (Coldham's Common). Go into this field and follow a path under the railway bridge to the away turnstiles.

There are regular services to and from Cambridge Railway Station, where taxis are available or the Citibus C3 service runs from the station every ten minutes during the day and at longer intervals in the evenings.

Cambridge North

There is also now a new station in the city, Cambridge North, nearby in Chesterton. Not every train stops there however and it is approximately a 30 minute walk to the ground.

Coming out of Cambridge North Station, turn to the left and walk through the Bike Parking area and onto the Cycle/Footpath running parallel with the train tracks. This leads to a Cul-de-Sac called Moss Bank. On exiting Moss Bank, turn right on Fen Road. Continue straight on Fen Road (and later Water Street) for about 1/2 a mile until you reach the Green Dragon Pub. At the pub, cross the river using the footbridge and then cross over Stourbridge Common to join Oyster Row and Garlic Row. At the end of Garlic Row you will join Newmarket Road - turn left, cross over the railway lines and you will see the stadium on your right.

• Sponsored links:

• 22 minute walk to Cambridge North from the stadium according to Google maps so that can be done in around 15 minutes.
  • shine166 said:
    Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Croydon said:

Sorry missed the direct bit 
    No prob, thought I was losing my mind!
  • Are these prices likely to be the same on the day given the supply of 3-4 trains per hour?
  • Are these prices likely to be the same on the day given the supply of 3-4 trains per hour?
    The tickets are 'Super Off- Peak Day Return' which can be bought on the day of travel for that price.

Tickets can be bought in advance or immediately before travel.   
    https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/SSR.aspx
  • Belv said:
    22 minute walk to Cambridge North from the stadium according to Google maps so that can be done in around 15 minutes.
    Yeah... curiously, that is not the route described above in the extract from the CUFC website.

The key bit seems to be the crossing at the Chisholm Trail Bridge.

Either Google maps is wrong (and there is no crossing) or the CUFC website has out of date info. 

The bridge looks like it may be new on Google maps and that fits with the fact the station is newish, too
  • Presumably there’s better/more pubs close to the main station than the north station? 

• From footballgroundguide re the different stations
  • se9addick said:
    Presumably there’s better/more pubs close to the main station than the north station? 
    I would think so.

I will be getting off at Cambridge before the game but heading to Cambridge North to come home.
  • Unless time is at a premium, it would seem a bit of shame to visit Cambridge by train and completely miss out the historic centre, even if it involved more walking or a bus ride to the ground. I'm thinking about the Lincoln sightseeing photos published here!

Indeed you can more or less walk from the historic centre to the ground along the River Cam using the cycle path, though personally I'll be hiring a penniless student to punt me along  ;)