Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

robert lee set to join coaching staff

edited May 2009 in Rumours
of newcastle utd.

according to a geordie supporting friend.

Comments

• Thought he was working on the turnstiles.......
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thought he was working on the turnstiles.......

Funny that you say that as I read somewhere that he used to be a turnstile operator at the Valley. Can't remember where. Does anyone else remember seeing this somewhere?
  • Or a ball boy? ;-P
  • would not suprise me as he is good friends with AS, would expect to see gary spped there soon as well
  • edited May 2009
  • He went to Newcastle because its nearer to London than Middlesboro'.
  • I thought he was a turnstile operateor at West Ham, as he was a West Ham fan and his old man run the turnstiles at the Boleyn?

Anyways Shearer and Lee will be an absolute disaster. They were both brilliant players, but when you hear them on TV talking about football they're inanely boring and as insightful as a lobotomised Alan Mullery. Respect they may have, but knowledge and understanding of players and tactics I suspect will be somewhat lesser than Bryan Robson's management career; at least Robson had Andrews and Mcqueen among many other more astute backroom people. As for motivation has anyone managed to listen to Lee or Shearer's pathetically inane cliche riven drivel and gain anything from it?
  • I think you are confused. Rob Lee is an ex-England international, multi millionaire, tv pundit and Alan Shearer's best friend.

And....

Robert Lee played 298 games for Charlton and used to work on the turnstiles at The Valley. His old man is a Charlton fan - take it from me.

Last I heard was Rob(ert) was with his two sons in the away end at Villa Park on Saturday after paying for his own tickets. Doesn't sound like someone Mike Ashley was trying to woo.
  • Newcastle are welcome to him. I agree with ColinTat that he talks drivel. His autobiography is about the worst book I've ever read.
  • I heard a rumour that Rob(ert) Lee, (the man who re invented himself for his Newcastle audience) had all his connections to us surgically removed and airbrushed us out of his history. It now reads: Rob Lee, born within the odour of the Tyne in 1966, became a turnstile operator at St James' Park in 1980, began career at Newcastle in 1984 and played all his career as a one club man before retiring, the only Charlton he is familiar with is the famous Charlton bros who were born in Newcastle and were the nephews of Jackie.......(enough Newcastle nonsense ED)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I heard a rumour that Rob(ert) Lee, (the man who re invented himself for his Newcastle audience) had all his connections to us surgically removed and airbrushed us out of his history. It now reads: Rob Lee, born within the odour of the Tyne in 1966, became a turnstile operator at St James' Park in 1980, began career at Newcastle in 1984 and played all his career as a one club man before retiring, the only Charlton he is familiar with is the famous Charlton bros who were born in Newcastle and were the nephews of Jackie.......(enough Newcastle nonsense ED)

lol spot on Pilchy, hate it when he calls himself rob, he is/was Robert Lee, soon as he went to the poxy barcodes he re invented himself!! What a ponce!
  • I maybe mistaken Chicago, but Rob Lee is certainly a West Ham fan - don't know for sure about his old man, that was just a vague recollection. As for TV football pundit he's only that in name, if you've ever listened to him on the Singapore football channel he makes Steve McMahon sound like an erudite intelligent analyst.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thought he was working on the turnstiles.......

Funny that you say that as I read somewhere that he used to be a turnstile operator at the Valley. Can't remember where. Does anyone else remember seeing this somewhere?

Vicious rumours, I certainly never read it in any away programmes I've got from the 80's?
  • No suprise really, although Rob Lee was at our last three home games of the season, and was with Keith Peacock for of them. Wouldn't be surised to see him apply for the managers job here, if the board finally sack Parkinson. Lets just hope Lee doesn't pick up too many tips from Dowie at Newcastl first!
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I maybe mistaken Chicago, but Rob Lee is certainly a West Ham fan - don't know for sure about his old man, that was just a vague recollection. As for TV football pundit he's only that in name, if you've ever listened to him on the Singapore football channel he makes Steve McMahon sound like an erudite intelligent analyst.

Quite right Colin, he is a Hammer through and through. Both of his sons are in the Academy there. His old man was a Woolwich boy though. As for his punditry and book - I couldn't agree more.
  • Wasn't Curbs also a West Ham fan?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Wasn't Curbs also a West Ham fan?

Yes, until he tried managing them...
  • Haha good point Weggie! Not to change the subject of the thread, but if all the takeover rumours are true, Is Curbs actually allowed to manage yet considering he's still in court with West Ham?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Haha good point Weggie! Not to change the subject of the thread, but if all the takeover rumours are true, Is Curbs actually allowed to manage yet considering he's still in court with West Ham?

I think it would just mean he'd have to settle for less on his loss of earnings claim.

We can always dream, can't we?

PS It's Weegie, not Weggie - please don't make the same mistake as that Henry Irving bloke ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Newcastle are welcome to him. I agree with ColinTat that he talks drivel. His autobiography is about the worst book I've ever read.

Point of order there, the term 'book' is extremely loose in that context!
  • Sponsored links:

• yeah I read that... calling number 33 or something....

I dont think he has much love for us really.... and its terrible becasue I loved him... the hold up and turn on the edge of the box and then BANG!

time and time again... loved it...
  • There's nothing to stop you from managing another club if you're in dispute with previous employees. Just look at Souness he had multiple ding dongs with former employees and still idiot chairman gave him a job.
  • Curbs been "advised" not to take any other managerial jobs until after the court case with West Ham (heard that before somewhere) in November.