Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Building Regs Approval

Not sure if anyone can help guide me on how I can go about sorting this out?

We are currently in the process of putting our house on the market in the next couple of weeks. Going through all the legal bits and paper work to make sure its in order, and one things has popped up that I don't know how to go about sorting.

About 10 years ago, we had a garage conversion done (amongst other cosmetics bits). The garage conversion was a simple job to turn half a double garage into a family room. I was pretty green around the ears at the time and probably missed all sorts of stuff I should have challenged them on. But one thing stands out.... The builder who carried out the work (I was told at the time by one of his workers) went belly up half way through and basically only just finished the job (had to do all my snagging and finishing touches myself.

The big issue is he never got building regs approval or anything for his work. He just upped and went and I have never heard of him since. What will I have to do before selling the house and how do I go about sorting it? Presuming he legally shouldn't have built something and not got it properly signed off - but for now I just need to get this sorted.

Anyone offer any advice?

Was I supposed to do it myself? I seem to remember at the time he said he did it for me, but nobody ever arrived to 'sign it off' so to speak.

Comments

• This is often overcome by your solicitor taking out a small indemnity insurance policy if the situation is raised by your buyer.

Lots of properties have had work done without Building Regs being obtained. Take advice from your solicitor before discussing lack of Building Regs with anyone. 
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2022
    Raise it with your solicitor but don't pre-empt anything. It may not even come up in the enquiries. Buyer beware and all that.

I bought a place last year and it had an old electric heater thing in the bathroom which was against some kind of rules. It was getting ripped out anyway but I paid 40 quid for some indemnity insurance (the seller wouldn't stump up) to just get it sorted.
  • I would give the Local Council Building Control team a call to see what there view is. Some building changes can be done under permitted development and may not need Building Regs Approval. I am having my garage converted, but have Planning Permission and Building Control approval as I am building  out to the boundary. Other houses down the road have just bricked up their existing garage door so not sure what building regs approval but I know they have done this under permitted development. 
  • Sark99 said:
    I would give the Local Council Building Control team a call to see what there view is. Some building changes can be done under permitted development and may not need Building Regs Approval. I am having my garage converted, but have Planning Permission and Building Control approval as I am building  out to the boundary. Other houses down the road have just bricked up their existing garage door so not sure what building regs approval but I know they have done this under permitted development. 
    I would not call up Building Control. Could invalidate any insurance your solicitor arranges. Keep quiet and it may never crop up. If it does, deal with it then via your solicitor. 
  • PWR

F**k off Roland. We ain't done yet!
  • This is often overcome by your solicitor taking out a small indemnity insurance policy if the situation is raised by your buyer.

Lots of properties have had work done without Building Regs being obtained. Take advice from your solicitor before discussing lack of Building Regs with anyone. 
    This is very good advice, @DamoNorthStand - in short, don't worry about it until the buyer says they want to see the sign-off; your solicitor can then provide you with a relatively inexpensive policy and the whole problem goes away. 
  • If all else fails, I think you can get retrospective approval - probably for a fee 😀
  • Chizz said:
    This is often overcome by your solicitor taking out a small indemnity insurance policy if the situation is raised by your buyer.

This is very good advice, @DamoNorthStand - in short, don't worry about it until the buyer says they want to see the sign-off; your solicitor can then provide you with a relatively inexpensive policy and the whole problem goes away. 
    Buyer might not like this idea & pulls out 6 months into the process. Ignorance is not the way forward I would suggest & Indemnity insurance it usually for lost paperwork......not no paperwork at all. 

I thought you could get retrospective approval. I'm sure you must have had some inclination from the architect/surveyor/ builder at the time the works were being done that it was all ok. If so then local council building officer should be able to give you retrospective regs approval. 
  • They will  pick it up if you got planning permission for the conversion. Might not do otherwise
  • Thank you for all your comments and advice everyone. Much appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was BuildingReg the lack-lustre follow up to WreckitRalph?