Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

In a parallel universe the 2022 Summer World Cup starts on Thursday 9th June

I will be bringing you the results as the tournament progresses.

As a preview here is what might happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ivxaoHXLI

Comments

• Thursday 9th June

Group A: Senegal vs Netherlands (Al Thumama Stadium, Al Khor; kick-off 7pm GMT)

Friday 10th June

Group B: England vs Iran (Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 1pm)
    Group A: Qatar vs Ecuador (Al Bayt Stadium, Al Khor; kick-off 4pm)
    Group B: USA vs Wales (Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 7pm)

I shall bring you the results as they happen, as best as my trans-dimensional portal allows. The excitement is building. The documentary I saw on the air-conditioned stadiums was amazing. Here's a picture of me taken during my 'dimension jump.' 

Forget Charlton and our sad reality. Come with me on a journey to a better football universe.

• Very little is known about the man behind Windswept Man

That picture reminded me of the windswept man in Market Street, Manchester.

• I will be bringing you the results as the tournament progresses.

As a preview here is what might happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ivxaoHXLI
    Don't bother.
  • Hal1x said:
    I will be bringing you the results as the tournament progresses.

Don't bother.

Miserable so-and-so. I'm not going to do it using Football manager - I just found that funny. I found it by typing 'alternate World Cup 2022' into Google. The commentary is actually quite good. Actually it's quite fun to watch I thought.
  • edited June 2022
    Got me nailed! 
  • I'm never quite sure about these multi-universe theories.

Oh, more that one universe ... sure ... but, if you want to postulate that "there is an infinite number of parallel universes where every possibility exists", you have to allow for the parallel universe where no other universes can exist.

So, then the question is ... are we in that one?  Statistically, probably not ... but someone/something is.
  • who's in scotlands group?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I'm never quite sure about these multi-universe theories.

Oh, more that one universe ... sure ... but, if you want to postulate that "there is an infinite number of parallel universes where every possibility exists", you have to allow for the parallel universe where no other universes can exist.

So, then the question is ... are we in that one?  Statistically, probably not ... but someone/something is.
    Bailey's ball?
  • edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:

You can't have a 'parallel universe where no other universes can exist' because if it's parallel, what is it parallel to, if not another universe?

Either you believe in the Many Worlds Interpretation or you don't.

I think that you're getting confused with the use of the word 'universe'. This is why the term 'world' is generally used. Many Worlds could be within our one universe but beyond our own conscious perception.

Oh, and, so far as I have discovered with my portal, there is no world in which Bailey scored that penalty. ;)
  • Dave Rudd said:

You can't have a 'parallel universe where no other universes can exist' because if it's parallel, what is it parallel to, if not another universe?

I think that you're getting confused with the use of the word 'universe'. This is why the term 'world' is generally used. Many Worlds could be within our one universe but beyond our own conscious perception.

Oh, and, so far as I have discovered with my portal, there is no world in which Bailey scored that penalty. ;)
    Ah, schoolboy error, @jimmymelrose

I mentioned the 'parallel universe where no other universes can exist' ... and you are correct in what you say.

But ... if 
    "there is an infinite number of parallel universes where every possibility exists" then there will be universes where there is only one other parallel universe, and another where there are two other parallel universes etc etc.  In fact, quite a lot of universes which have decreasingly less than infinity parallel universes ... and statistically we are likely to be in one of those.

I'm not sure that everyone subscribes to your distinction between 'world' and 'universe' too, but I suppose that we could establish some CL Rules to cover such things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should be a sizzler for the opening day this Thursday, with it being forecasted to be 45 degrees Celsius 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Ah, schoolboy error, @jimmymelrose

I mentioned the 'parallel universe where no other universes can exist' ... and you are correct in what you say.

But ... if "there is an infinite number of parallel universes where every possibility exists" then there will be universes where there is only one other parallel universe, and another where there are two other parallel universes etc etc.  In fact, quite a lot of universes which have decreasingly less than infinity parallel universes ... and statistically we are likely to be in one of those.

I'm not sure that everyone subscribes to your distinction between 'world' and 'universe' too, but I suppose that we could establish some CL Rules to cover such things.
    My head hurts...
  • cafctom said:
    Should be a sizzler for the opening day this Thursday, with it being forecasted to be 45 degrees Celsius 
    Indeed but all fans are staying in air conditioned hotels, travelling on air conditioned transport and spectating in air conditioned stadiums. 
    At one six star hotel there is even a covered air conditioned beach and the sea is referred to as the hot tub.
    When the BBC journalist asked whether they recognised that all this air conditioning contributes itself to the need for further air conditioning, they replied that they pray regularly, and told her to get back to her knitting.
  • I really wish there was a World Cup so threads like this don't become the norm out of boredom...
  • Dave Rudd said:

Put the joint down 

As it stands, nothing other than the big bang theory giving birth to just our universe - has any credible proven evidence. 

Got to love the theories and the open end questions that the universe provides.

It is very likely that we won't ever know and not much more can be proven. 

Perhaps the human species may evolve into a more complex advanced creature in a thousand years, and the answers to the relatable questions can be discovered.
  • edited June 2022
    Dave2l said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Put the joint down 

As it stands, nothing other than the big bang theory giving birth to just our universe - has any credible proven evidence. 

Got to love the theories and the open end questions that the universe provides.

It is very likely that we won't ever know and not much more can be proven. 

Perhaps the human species may evolve into a more complex advanced creature in a thousand years, and the answers to the relatable questions can be discovered.
    As a beginners' guide I highly recommend watching this:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjba38

Also, I hope you might enjoy this - a short story adapted from an excerpt of my novel in progress:

https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/wv2gck/
  • I'll give the video a watch later 👍
  • Thursday 9th June

Friday 10th June

Group B: England vs Iran (Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 1pm)

I shall bring you the results as they happen, as best as my trans-dimensional portal allows. The excitement is building. The documentary I saw on the air-conditioned stadiums was amazing. Here's a picture of me taken during my 'dimension jump.' 

Forget Charlton and our sad reality. Come with me on a journey to a better football universe.

Can we go to the parallel universe where Scott Parker says ‘do you know what, I think I’ll stay here and see the season out’.
  • Thursday 9th June

Friday 10th June

Can we go to the parallel universe where Scott Parker says ‘do you know what, I think I’ll stay here and see the season out’.

The resulting butterfly affect from that change of heart would be staggering.

Charlton probably would have been purchased in 2009 by a billionaire Saudi prince nutter. 
  • Match 1: Senegal 1 Netherlands 1

(Al Thumama Stadium, Al Khor) Attendance: 39,999.5

In a match that will be forever remembered for the surprising permission given to the Dutch to take turns to bathe in an ice bath on the touchline during the match, Senegal put the heat on The Netherlands right from the start. Only 30 seconds had elapsed when the ball found itself in the back of the Dutch net. With the goalkeeper still dripping wet from his pre-match bathe and his towel draped over his head he didn't notice his central defender pass back and the ball rolled gently into the net. After that the Dutch got themselves organised and, choosing to play the whole match with ten men, with the other taking his turn cooling off, they played with one up front for the whole match.

In the end their cooling tactics proved successful and they bossed the second half, although at the end they only had one goal to show for their dominance.

The organisers stated that were pleased that the first match only involved the death of one migrant worker who died at half time of a heart attack when, despite being a paying spectator, he was obliged to serve two hundred FIFA dignataries two hundred drinks and two hundred meals in a fifteen minute period.

• Sponsored links:

• So is this being played out by FM , or is it just someone making the commentary? Quite in depth for the former. 
  • edited June 2022
    No, it's not football manager - I shouldn't have put that link in the first post as it's misleading.

England are due to kick-off in less than an hour so I have to get my transdimensional portal speeding up.

I plan to stick around in this other dimension until the third match today finishes so I'll post all three results, and any reports of interesting incidents when I get back.

(Sssshhhh - if anyone wants to add to the fiction then join in. Only the results are pure fact😉).
  • I think you're flogging a dead horse mate 😀
  • edited June 2022
    Match 2: Group B: England 4  Iran 1
    Khalifa International Stadium, Al Rayyan

After a satisfying start to England's first match of the 2022 World Cup, manager Scott Parker praised striker Ben Tardren:

'Even when he was a ten year old as I was hanging up my boots at Charlton Athletic you could see what a special talent he was. In 2019 when I was still manager there, his goals led us to the club's first Premier League trophy in 15 years, since I was a player. I was criticised for picking him ahead of Harry but I think his four goals in this match show you want a special talent Ben is. It was a perfect match for Ben; one with his right foot, one with his left, one with his head, and the last that seemed to bounce off the sword tattoo on his left thigh'.

Match 3 Group A: Qatar 0  Ecuador 0
    Al Bayt Stadium, Al Khor

A match with no shots at goals throughout the whole ninety minutes; so boring that the atmosphere was positively livened up by the traditional Qatari half time entertainment of a man flogging his dead horse.

Match 4, Group B: USA 1 Wales 1
    Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan

A magnificent swashbuckling attacking performance by the USA, thwarted only by the excellence of the hard tackling, never say die spirit, of Wales defender Chris Gunter. Proving that not only is he a defensive hero for Wales, in an exciting finale he took the ball all the way up the other end of the pitch, dribbling around every member of the opposition, some of them even twice, and from the edge of the box curled in a beautiful last minute equaliser.