Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car scrap dealers/values

I have a slightly battered 2001 Hyundai with mot, going spare. Drives really well except if wet when a brake problem sometimes kicks in. Shame to scrap it but not safe to drive either. 
4 virtually new tyres. Newish clutch.
Have been offered £200 and £270 scrap at different times recently.
Anyone able to recommend a decent recycler/scrapper in South east London, assuming there is such a thing?

Comments

• I have a slightly battered 2001 Hyundai with mot, going spare. Drives really well except if wet when a brake problem sometimes kicks in. Shame to scrap it but not safe to drive either. 
    Anyone able to recommend a decent recycler/scrapper in South east London, assuming there is such a thing?

Are the scrap yards still up on Winn's Common, top of King's Highway?

It's been about 45 years since I was climbing up stacked cars to extract a seat belt or similar so they may not be. Health & Safety didn't exists back then!
  • I'd take the £270. There's not much call for 2nd hand parts on a 21 year old Hyundai so it really just is scrap value.
  • bobmunro said:
    I have a slightly battered 2001 Hyundai with mot, going spare. Drives really well except if wet when a brake problem sometimes kicks in. Shame to scrap it but not safe to drive either. 

It's been about 45 years since I was climbing up stacked cars to extract a seat belt or similar so they may not be. Health & Safety didn't exists back then!
    Been gone years, same as the old hut that were the changing rooms.
  • bobmunro said:

Been gone years, same as the old hut that were the changing rooms.

Doesn't surprise me - seriously I haven't been up that part of Winn's Common since my courting days!
  • Ace Car Breakers in Swanscombe .Used them twice. Will collect. Both times paid more than any other quotes. Company cheque handed over when they took cars away. Get an online quote and decide.
  • I have a slightly battered 2001 Hyundai with mot, going spare. Drives really well except if wet when a brake problem sometimes kicks in. Shame to scrap it but not safe to drive either. 

Not just a case of changing brake pads, or something more serious?

Not just a case of changing brake pads, or something more serious?
    Its been a fairly long standing and difficult issue. Latest suggestion from mechanic was that the cv joints haven't been fitted properly or are not compatible. If not that then an ABS sensor perhaps. Removing the ABS fuse suppresses the problem but isnt ideal and quite probably illegal.
  • edited June 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'd take the £270. There's not much call for 2nd hand parts on a 21 year old Hyundai so it really just is scrap value.
    The firm that offered the £270 dropped to £200 2 weeks later on account of falling scrap values. An online quote at kings Langley offered £288 about the same time if I dropped it off which I won't be doing as no longer insured.
  • Ace Car Breakers in Swanscombe .Used them twice. Will collect. Both times paid more than any other quotes. Company cheque handed over when they took cars away. Get an online quote and decide.
    Thanks @Bromley Graham. Will check them out.
  • Sometimes flaffing about over a hundred quid ain’t worth the agro in the bigger picture of things.
    If someone is going to collect it for the right money, hassle free, get on with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• redcorn.co.uk - paid a good price on my mother in laws car.
  • removemycar.co.uk
  • I used a scrap car comparison (think that was its name) website, easy to do to get a decent price quickly. Worth it just to see how much you'd get. I got just over £270 for an X reg Nissan
  • edited June 2022
    if it's still got an MOT stick it on Facebook marketplace for £500 and someone will have it.

and mention the brake problem which I'm sure someone can fix.
  • Scrapped an X type with the rear suspension hanging off for £331. Think I used scrapmycar.com. was paid the price quoted less than 24 hours after accepting the offer. Very convenient.