Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• shirty5 said:
    I wish Sandgaard would button it regards matters on the field, he should leave it to the coaches.
    Take a lesson from the American owner at Millwall. Hardly hear from him and let’s people get on with their business
    Totally agree in theory, but plenty of owners are on the phone almost every day and want to have their say on the footballing side, it’s just they don’t speak to the press or post on social media. 
  • edited June 2022
    So a question.

When was the last time we took a in work manager from another club?

Dowie had resigned, the Belgian network moving the deckchairs on the Titanic doesn't count.

Tarbuck was unemployed as were Slade, Mullery and Parkinson, Jacko and Bowyer inhouse as were Bailey, Craggs, Lawrence, Curbs and Gritt, Firmani and Foley.  Powell was employed but as a coach not a manager.

So I make it that the last manager we took from another club was Andy Nelson in 1974!

Before that I'm not sure about Stokoe but otherwise it might be Jimmy Seed.

Millwall Bob is a grey area, he was waasland manager while we were linked with him and pretty much nailed on for the job with us, BUT he did technically quit then join us a week later. Waasland claimed there may have been and illegal approach made. 

So, Peeters maybe, kinda, yes.. no.
  • Scoham said:
    So a question.

Dowie had resigned, the Belgian network moving the deckchairs on the Titanic doesn't count.

Tarbuck was unemployed as were Slade, Mullery and Parkinson, Jacko and Bowyer inhouse as were Bailey, Craggs, Lawrence, Curbs and Gritt, Firmani and Foley.  Powell was employed but as a coach not a manager.

So I make it that the last manager we took from another club was Andy Nelson in 1974!

Karel Fraeye joined from VW Hamme, a Belgian third tier club at the time and not part of Roland’s network.

It's comedy time.
    The compensation for Karel Fraeye was....
  • JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
    The 45 minutes v Forest at The Valley?

The football geeks(proud to wear that badge) on CL agreed it was the best passing and link up play we had seen for ?  We will say decades.
    Now that 1st half was brilliant but when Forest finally woke up in the 2nd half the game ended up 1-1.

It was great that the rose coloured glasses were on yesterday, even by Golfie and the reality is that we want to emulate the excellent passing side of Brighton under Gus Poyet that totally out played Charlton at the Valley in League 1 and WON, also Bournemouth that played an attacking game under Howe and had an identity as they rose up the divisions which culminated in that master class at the valley with their Championship win.

If we win like Rotherham managed in League 1 in a functional manner it's not going to be enough for many judging by the comments on CL. And they are playing in the Championship before coming right back down again. 

It's can't just be possession football as we had 67% against Morecambe but we gave away 3 bad goals so our 2 goals from good build up play counted for nothing.

I would love it, really love it(thanks Kevin) if we could have an identity under Garner and play some sweet passing moves and Score  but you know that the old clichés of Tatically naive and no plan B will be seen on CL or heard at the ground when we get hit in transition and lose games as night follows day.

Enjoy the Honey moon Ben Garner because the Charlton crowd turn quicker than Johan Cruyff in his pomp. 
    It's 100% support from me as this journey to the promised land takes place on good and bad result days. 
    Nail on head moment right there.
    That Forest game was so entertaining.  I recall a similar performance against Bristol City when we won 4-1 I think - such excellent flowing football.  But isnt it sad that I really vividly remember a couple of standout games from the 40 years of supporting this club.  I sincerely hope the days of us being entertaining to watch will be more frequent but im also really excited about us forming an identity as a club.  Feels like a new start
  • edited June 2022
    We gave a statue of Karel Fraeye Winking; I have put the ball in the area so I want the assist when that is edited !

Two new Laundry baskets for VW Hammer changing room.
  • Glad it’s done and we can move forward to building the squad and hopefully fixing the balance of it as well. 

Good interviews from all 3 Yesterday just hope that the plans discussed  are implemented and this is the start of a structure being put in place, if I was TS I would want Ben Chorley to come in as well to help with that but can’t see it. 

I have voiced concerns of how things are going under TS but always believe he is doing what he thinks is best for the club and is desperate to be successful, I really hope it is. 

Can start looking forward to some new faces. 
  • On another note, watching the TS interviews? Is he having a pop at JJ/Stockley? Obviously there’s whispers of Stockley wanting out and Wednesday being linked by one of their local journos, TS says something along the lines of ‘the days of knocking it up to a big striker are over’. Feels like a bit of a pop when you consider that was our previous managers style and our main strikers strength..

I am not opposed to selling Stockley if it means it makes way for other strikers who have looked good like Alfie May or Stockton.

Get the feeling based on our owner, manager and style we we trying to implement that Stockley will be off 
    I'm not sure that it was a pop at Stockley.  JJ, probably. Stockley scores goals and wins his fair share of headers.  But in my opinion, his hold up play, back to goal, is not his strength. Playing the ball long up to him was not a good tactic and rarely gave us possession in the attacking third. Carl Leaburn he is not.  Under the new regime he is likely to still have a role if we play out wide and put his A-game to work.
  • edited June 2022
    seth plum said:
    To the tune of Lee Lee Lee Bow-yer it will be Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner which will be a bit of a low in creativity.
    If the fans want the manager to up our game, then Garner has the right to expect the fans to up their game in chants.
    Well I tried my best! What did you expect .... from a fish! 🐟

I'm looking at BeeGee songs for inspiration now because of his initials, but I think another club uses 'Islands in the Stream', so that's out.

There's always 2Unlimited's, 'There's no Limit' to fall back on.

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
  • Scoham said:
    So a question.

Karel Fraeye joined from VW Hamme, a Belgian third tier club at the time and not part of Roland’s network.
    yes but an amateur club and he'd been part of his newtwork before as Riga's assistant.  I refuse to accept that we paid any compensation or that Fraeye even had a contract with the Dog and Duck XI
  • Sponsored links:

• All this talk focusing on attacking exciting football which is what Thomas wants. But we also need to defend which is the basis of a good strong team. Are we to see our first game result winning 4-0 or losing 4-5
  • edited June 2022
    Sometimes we may think certain aspects of a players game is not a strength but when he plays with different players it becomes less evident.  A premier league passer may have to change his game in League One as a pinged pass may not be controlled by the recipient at a lower level. A visionary ball requires the runners. I have noticed in recent times how we are not great at finding space to make a pass easy and we don't win enough second balls. If this can be addressed we ought to see a major improvement.
  • swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    To the tune of Lee Lee Lee Bow-yer it will be Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner which will be a bit of a low in creativity.
    If the fans want the manager to up our game, then Garner has the right to expect the fans to up their game in chants.

I'm looking at BeeGee songs for inspiration now because of his initials, but I think another club uses 'Islands in the Stream', so that's out.

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Now it's been confirmed I'm still hoping for the "he's got no hair but we don't care" revival, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
  • Welcome to the madhouse Ben.

Now the soap opera of the appointment is over how nice is it to look forward to the chit chat, transfer rumours and my Newport County supporting mate says he's mustard/rubbish of the summer.

We've got some catching up to do. 
  • swordfish said:
    seth plum said:

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Yes I saw your earlier effort which was actually very good. Was it a bit complex though?
    This ‘no limit’ one is good.
    Fish or not you ought to be a founder member of the chants ideas lab.
  • aliwibble said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Now it's been confirmed I'm still hoping for the "he's got no hair but we don't care" revival, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    The problem here is ‘Ben Garner’ does not really scan like ‘Stevie Gritt’.
    Either way, welcome to the chants ideas lab.

• I think in terms of initial scanning ‘Ben Garner’ fits with the ‘Jorge Costa’ overture, but it needs a following couplet.
  • Gribbo said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    Just going by the fact he's just signed a 3 year contract, I'd say he was happy. Maybe you know a fact that says he ain't happy, 48 hours into it??
    See this ? It's a question mark. I don't need to produce a fact when I'm asking a question.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    These should be his first 2 signings before anything else is done 
    I think TS realises that and is just playing crafty.

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
    Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
    I will never as long as I live forget Wim de Corte, aka Crystal Meth Art Garfunkel
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Being as bald as coot myself now, it's a bit too 'pot, kettle, black' for me, but I used to join in the Stevie Gritt appreciation society renditions of it along with the rest!😎
  • seth plum said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Yes I saw your earlier effort which was actually very good. Was it a bit complex though?
    This ‘no limit’ one is good.
    Fish or not you ought to be a founder member of the chants ideas lab.
    Complex? 🤣 It only had four lines, the same number as the 'no Limit' one. I can't think what you're implying?  😎
  • Gribbo said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    Just going by the fact he's just signed a 3 year contract, I'd say he was happy. Maybe you know a fact that says he ain't happy, 48 hours into it??
    See this ? It's a question mark. I don't need to produce a fact when I'm asking a question.
    Yes it's a question. It's just a stupid question.
  • What's the score with the coaches?
  • edited June 2022
    aliwibble said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Bob Peeters used to get the ‘he’s got no hair’ song, but it was a different tune to the Steve Gritt one. 

Oh Ben Garner
    Oh Ben Garner
    Oh Ben Garner

He’s got no hair, but we don’t care

Hard to describe the tune, but if you were at Reading away, when I think we won 1-0, you might remember it. 
  • edited June 2022
    Not a song but some Rhyming couplets for @seth plum in AABB stanzas.

Ben Garner comes from Kent 
    If only we had Darren Bent
    He would lift the chanting Crowd
    When goals arrive they sing so loud

Our new manager is Ben Garner
    He may even need Body Armour
    When our strikers can't convert
    They are not fit to wear the shirt

Thomas Sandgaard is a showman
    At time the football can be an omen
    Of better times that may be ahead
    Or should we have stayed in bed

Charlton Athletic had a five year plan
    Which ended up in the trash Can
    Now fans just can't be fair weather
    For unity, success we come together

The new season on the pitch
    Could well have the odd hitch
    Now let sleeping dogs lie 
    We are Charlton until we die
  • Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, whoah
    He comes from Pembury
    And plays football progressively

;) 
    Not bad, but the word football may not fit.
  • Not a song but some Rhyming couplets for @seth plum in AABB stanzas.

Ben Garner comes from Kent 
    If only we had Darren Bent
    He would lift the chanting Crowd
    When goals arrive they sing so loud

Our new manager is Ben Garner
    He may even need Body Armour
    When our strikers can't convert
    They are not fit to wear the shirt

Thomas Sandgaard is a showman
    At time the football can be an omen
    Of better times that may be ahead
    Or should we have stayed in bed