Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martens Avenue Bexleyheath - sinkhole spanning breadth of whole street opens up

The hole which measures approximately seven metres by seven metres and is four metres deep – emerged on Tuesday evening when the road in Bexleyheath started cracking.

Police said they were called to Martens Avenue just before 9pm and that nobody had been injured. Firefighters also attended the scene.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/sinkhole-spanning-breadth-of-whole-street-opens-up-in-london/ar-AAYJOpk?li=BBoPWjQ

Comments

• In some pics, there is a motorbike at the bottom of the hole.

One report I read said that the motorcyclist didn't see the hole in time to stop and, instead, tried to unsuccessfully jump it. He then ran off. I couldn't work out whether he went into the hole with his bike or jumped off in mid-air.

Not the first sink hole to appear in the Barnehurst/Bexleyheath area.
  • clive said:
    Gribbo said:
    There's always been a sink hole in Bexley, it's called Albany Park
    Will you be looking into it?
    Give me some stats Clivo and I see what I can do mate ;)
  • edited June 2022
    Has John Marquis been found down it?
  • Kate Bush was born in Bexleyheath, just saying.

I think one of her music videos was on plumstead common
  • Is there a picture of the sinkhole? 
  • Dave2l said:
    Is there a picture of the sinkhole? 
    The Bexleyheath sinkhole with police looking on and cordons in place
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    Dave2l said:
    Is there a picture of the sinkhole? 
    The Bexleyheath sinkhole with police looking on and cordons in place
    The residents appear to be very fortunate that it is entirely in the road and nowhere else (hoping that there is no further damage to come).
  • that is remarkable to say the least .. good how the hole stopped before spreading too far onto the pedestrian pavement
  • wonder how long it'll take to get the hole filled in ?

The car parked in the driveway is probably a tad fed up
  • Will probably need a geologic survey before work starts on it. Sinkholes get a lot bigger than that.
  • edited June 2022
    More than likely a Denehole left by the Vikings.
    Anyone checked down there for treasure?
    wonder how long it'll take to get the hole filled in ?
     If it's anything like the one that opened up near us a few years ago, a bloody long time!
    Bexley Council? 4-6 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:
    wonder how long it'll take to get the hole filled in ?

The car parked in the driveway is probably a tad fed up
    Hope its not called Christine.
  • Biggest shock in this is finding someone uses msn for their news.
  • I live about 20 houses up from this and drove over that bit of road about 8.30 last night few years back another sinkhole in a close round the corner from that got taken down by one 
  • From my understanding Thames water leak seems the likely candidate about 15 Thames water staff there and looks like surveyors and people with measuring devices etc walked past a min ago whilst taking dog for his evening walk 
  • I live about 20 houses up from this and drove over that bit of road about 8.30 last night few years back another sinkhole in a close round the corner from that got taken down by one 
    It was Braeside Crescent IIRC.

My parents (and I for a while) lived in the bungalow on the corner of Park Grove and Leysdown Avenue until a couple of years ago.

I tried to buy a maisonette on Lea Valenby the gas works and the survey came back with subsidence from possible sink holes in the viscinity back then as well.
  • The hole which measures approximately seven metres by seven metres and is four metres deep – emerged on Tuesday evening when the road in Bexleyheath started cracking.

Police said they were called to Martens Avenue just before 9pm and that nobody had been injured. Firefighters also attended the scene.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/sinkhole-spanning-breadth-of-whole-street-opens-up-in-london/ar-AAYJOpk?li=BBoPWjQ

Isn't that just a description of Bexleyheath?
  • OK, I'm now worried about parking there next time there's a big crowd at the Oakwood for the women's game. 

• OIEO £249,495