Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Croquet.

Just joined a club……has anyone on here played it at sometime or another, or better still does so nowadays?

Comments

• I prefer knitting.
  • He had 3 ears, one right ear, one left ear and one frontier 
  • Gribbo said:
    They go nice with chicken kiev and beans.

Shouldn't be playing with your food though Soundo
    Baked beans or green beans though?
  • Gribbo said:
    They go nice with chicken kiev and beans.

Shouldn't be playing with your food though Soundo
    Baked beans or green beans though?
    Baked
  • Watch out for the caribou.
  • "Don't knock the hoops in with the f ckin mallets!!"
  • Just joined a club……has anyone on here played it at sometime or another, or better still does so nowadays?
    Blimey, you must live somewhere posh!!  :)
  • I’m waiting for the bowls thread to start up, always fancied a bit of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not really.
  • Just joined a club……has anyone on here played it at sometime or another, or better still does so nowadays?
    I'll be serious mate.

There is a croquet club around the corner from where I used to live, it looked very pleasant.  Unfortunately I never saw anybody play.

Crown Green bowls you'd possibly enjoy as well?
  • Do you play Soundas or have you joined as a beginner?
    Irritable?
    Blimey, you must live somewhere posh!!  :)
    Croquet is the one without the horses
  • Used to love Miami Vice, whatever happened to Tubbs?
    Having retired a month ago I’m going to join the village bowls club soon. Expect I’ll be the youngest there.
  • edited August 2022
    Do you play Soundas or have you joined as a beginner?
    As a beginner……my first instruction session is tomorrow…..Wednesday….2pm.
    Quite looking forward to it…..evidently it’s very tactical, you don’t just go full on getting the ball through the hoops, that’s not even the half of it……although it is of course the ultimate aim.
  • Great game for a family get together. Always used to play on the old tennis court at my grandparents house when I was a kid. My parents still have their set and it still comes out at family gatherings although their garden isn't quite flat enough for it. Always telling my Dad he needs to get the heavy roller out.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve played. It’s easy exercise and you can be nasty to people in a nice setting.

Harpo Marx was a very keen player and was admitted into the croquet Hall of Fame. 
  • I’ve played. It’s easy exercise and you can be nasty to people in a nice setting.

Harpo Marx was a very keen player and was admitted into the croquet Hall of Fame. 
    A bit like CL then. 🤭
  • An old workmate of mine was a world finalist a few years ago. He's still winning major tournaments to this day.
    Was quite young when he reached the World final, so not the clichéd old man's game. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Great game for a family get together. Always used to play on the old tennis court at my grandparents house when I was a kid. My parents still have their set and it still comes out at family gatherings although their garden isn't quite flat enough for it. Always telling my Dad he needs to get the heavy roller out.
    Can you lend me a fiver?
    That was mostly tongue in cheek. My granparents did have a set that we played in their garden and we do still play in my parents garden. The rest is waffle!

Funny, he never spoke of it  ;)
  • Great game for a family get together. Always used to play on the old tennis court at my grandparents house when I was a kid. My parents still have their set and it still comes out at family gatherings although their garden isn't quite flat enough for it. Always telling my Dad he needs to get the heavy roller out.
    My nan’s gaff smelt of piss and biscuits. 
    I do not recall any tennis court in her flat at the top of Villas Road however. 
  • snooker/billiards on grass .. looks like an interesting game .. the official name of Wimbledon Tennis club is the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club .. not a lot of people know that  :)

PS Love some of the witty comments
    Having retired a month ago I’m going to join the village bowls club soon. Expect I’ll be the youngest there.
    Congratulations on your retirement
  • Do you play Soundas or have you joined as a beginner?
    As a beginner……my first instruction session is tomorrow…..Wednesday….2pm.
    Quite looking forward to it…..evidently it’s very tactical, you don’t just go full on getting the ball through the hoops, that’s not even the half of it……although it is of course the ultimate aim.
    So it's not all about getting balls through a gap?
  • An elderly neighbour gave our family a croquet set when I was a kid. At first, we played the incorrect rules (possibly an Australian version) which meant my dad could regularly smash by ball into the distant flowerbeds. As a teenager, I learned the proper rules (at least I think I have) - more about angles and strategy than brute force. Like snooker, a player can build up quite a 'break' and forge ahead, leaving an opponent far behind.