Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Couldn't find a thread (apart from the table prediction one) so starting this one.

Season starts tonight, Palace v Arsenal.

Obviously most people will know the 5 subs rule is now back as the PL falls in line with the rest of Europe. But there is another change (probably for the better), where the Premier League will bring in a multi-ball system to reduce delays when the ball is out of play.

"There will be 10 balls in total - the match ball, one with the fourth official and eight around the pitch on cones next to a 'ball assistant'."

Back to the game tonight, Arsenal have had an amazing pre-season smashing everyone and scoring 20 goals in 5 games. Would be typical tonight that it finishes Palace 1 Arsenal 0.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Hoping this is the year that Palace struggle

They looked very average when Gallagher wasnt playing, and thought whilst they got mid-table... Vieira did nothing overly special in the League. 
  • It's such a tough one to call, Arsenal are flying in pre season but even the end of last season they went into this same game and the wheels came off a bit (3 losses in a row, stopped them getting 4th).

Palars can and will probably cause a few scares its just how Arsenal deal with that, if they can get an early goal and hopefully they can put Palars to the sword. I think we are dreaming if we think they would be anywhere near the relegation, but here's hoping! 

Should be a good game and fingers crossed Arsenal thump them!
  • Fancy Arsenal to do well this season (Definitely shouldn’t be 8/1 to finish 3rd). Opening day defeat at Brentford last season will mean they want to start the season well.

Here’s hoping it’s finally the season when Nigels get relegated. I can’t see it, but here’s wishing.
  • Yeah i think Arsenal will do well too. Jesus and Zinchenko have been there and done it, Saliba returning from his loan will make them stronger defensively, and of course their younger players are now another a year older and should be better for the experience. Don't know anything about Fabio Vieira but he has a good record for Portugal U21s and big signings from Porto do generally tend to be quite good.

The big question mark though is how they cope with the PL and European football. Last year they weren't in Europe and still couldn't get top 4.

Pressure is definitely on Arteta this year though. Arsenal are the biggest spenders in world football since last summer, although Chelsea will soon overtake them the way they're throwing money around.
  • Yeah i think Arsenal will do well too. Jesus and Zinchenko have been there and done it, Saliba returning from his loan will make them stronger defensively, and of course their younger players are now another a year older and should be better for the experience. Don't know anything about Fabio Vieira but he has a good record for Portugal U21s and big signings from Porto do generally tend to be quite good.

The big question mark though is how they cope with the PL and European football. Last year they weren't in Europe and still couldn't get top 4.

Pressure is definitely on Arteta this year though. Arsenal are the biggest spenders in world football since last summer, although Chelsea will soon overtake them the way they're throwing money around.
    I do think there is not much between them Spurs and Chelsea this year, i know Spurs have made some key signings but on paper Arsenal can give them all a game its just the consistency and not slipping up at teams like palace... previous years it was not getting the results against the big teams but looks like they are doing better in these games (bar City).

I like their signings, again don't know much of Viera and how he will fit in yet, i would guess Zinchenko will be moved to CM once Tierney is back as thats the position he wants to play and plays for Ukraine. Jesus should on paper be a great signing, although he does need a few chances to convert so needs to get up and running early really to settle, i am sure Arsenal fans were pushing for Saliba to start last year so will be good to see him get some games, they just need to cut out the silly sending offs too, be aggressive but not overly. 

Started and finished the 3 episodes on Prime last night and recommend, i didn't realise how good Arteta speaks in team talks and just in general seems a very clever manager.  
  • still think the 5 subs rule is one too many .. why not 4 ? .. I'll wait for someone to say 'why not 6,7 8, 3 or 2' ..  :)
  • I never really have an Arsenal player in my fpl team. This year I have 3. Think they may well do alright this season.
  • Get your money on Palace relegation now because the odds will be slashed this evening after Arsenal give them a five nought pumping.
  • Hope so for @oohaahmortimer... He's ready to jump if Palace win and top the table tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t work out the Arsenal lineup, as White is playing RB. Is Zinchenko playing in midfield or Saka?
  • That Palarse XI reads like a decent championship side, nothing more
  • edited August 2022
    Can’t work out the Arsenal lineup, as White is playing RB. Is Zinchenko playing in midfield or Saka?
    SkySports had Zinchenko in Defence when they showed the team in formation

Martinelli was in front of him on the flank
  • Can’t work out the Arsenal lineup, as White is playing RB. Is Zinchenko playing in midfield or Saka?
    I think it’s a 4231 with Zinchenko left back. Saka, Odegaard and Martinelli the three behind Jesus up front.
    BBC Sport says:

1Ramsdale
    4White 12Saliba 6Gabriel 35Zinchenko
    8Ødegaard 5Partey 34Xhaka
    7Saka 9Gabriel Jesus 11Martinelli
  • Think they've signed Zinchenko as backup to Tierney given he's injured, and I reckon Saliba and Gabriel may well be their first choice this year.
  • Interested to see how Saliba does this season... Surprised its taken so long for him to play for them
  • 3 at the back with Saka and Zinchenko as wing backs maybe?
  • Stealing history as they have none 
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone left a red sock in the Arsenal kit washing machine 😎
  • Should have been a great goal... Instead Arteta turns away asking himself why he started Martinelli
  • Oh dear god!!! - Never change Palace, never change

nice cake 👍🏼
  • edited August 2022
    Oh dear god!!! - Never change Palace, never change

Amazing what primary school children can make these days. So clever.
  • still think the 5 subs rule is one too many .. why not 4 ? .. I'll wait for someone to say 'why not 6,7 8, 3 or 2' ..  :)
    Why not 9?
  • swordfish said:
    Someone left a red sock in the Arsenal kit washing machine 😎
    Trouble is it’s the wrong shade of red.
  • Martin Tyler can go F**k himself.

" South London deserves an elite side"
  • ‘South London deserves an Elite club’ :neutral:
  • 0-1. Palace poor marking from a corner and punished.