Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Times are hard - CL money saving tips

Times are hard and no doubt all of us could do with saving a few bob where we can.

What money saving gems can this auguste forum offer ?

My is : put a brick in your petrol tank to save on petrol ;0)

Comments

• red wine drinkers.

worried about staining your teeth?

simply down a bottle of white before going to bed to save on toothpaste.

(admittedly nicked from viz)

• If you are borderline alcoholic and can't give up wine and/or beer, make your own! I've been making my own wine from kits since Christmas and am able to produce it at just over a quid a bottle and in enough quantities to mean that we've hardly had a shop-bought wine in 2011.

Just buy the kit and some equipment and follow the instructions. My one essential piece of advice (and this could be applied to other hobbies) keep your equipment clean!
  • Forget laying an expensive shag pile carpet in you home just glue two pieces of off cuts to your slippers and experience a newly carpeted home wherever you walk !
  • dont use CAFC player saves 10p
  • Times are hard and no doubt all of us could do with saving a few bob where we can. What money saving gems can this auguste forum offer ? My is : put a brick in your petrol tank to save on petrol ;0)
    how does a brick in your tank save petrol .. or are you being deliberately 'silly'? ... my tip, tape up your mouth for 3 days a week, stops eating drinking and arguements
  • If you are borderline alcoholic and can't give up wine and/or beer, make your own! I've been making my own wine from kits since Christmas and am able to produce it at just over a quid a bottle and in enough quantities to mean that we've hardly had a shop-bought wine in 2011.

Just buy the kit and some equipment and follow the instructions. My one essential piece of advice (and this could be applied to other hobbies) keep your equipment clean!
    Seconded. I am currently supping a pint of home brewed Wherry.

One of my favorite kits the Wherry one - cheers!
  • edited August 2011
    Serious suggestion:  Buy yourself a set of clippers and never pay for another haircut again.  

Favourite Viz tip:  Putting just the right amount of gin in your fish tank makes the fish swim in an amusing manner.
  • edited August 2011

Sounds like a wherry good idea.
  • Sponsored links:

Sounds like a wherry good idea.
    No. It's a Wherry Wherry good idea.
  • My tip: use the Dartford crossing as often as you can before the charge goes up: save a fortune.
  • I lost my wallet last week and only just found it. I had numerous opportunities to sped money but had to refuse them. Saved a fortune.

My fave top tip? Gentlemen wishing to measure the size of their todgers: a button attached to a paperclip makes an ideal minature trundle wheel
  • www.hotukdeals.com

Be surprised what bargains you'll pick up on it.
  • Save on postage by writing your letters a day earlier, and using 2nd class stamps.

(Acknowledgement and thanks to Viz for that one. It must have saved me £££s over the years)

WRT the first post in this thread, my petrol filler is too narrow for a brick.  Will putting in lots of small stones have the same effect?

I don't want to cut open the tank and weld it up again.  That could be dangerous.

• Another brick one from Viz!

Pile bricks at one end of your bath, when filling with water you will only need half the amount therefore saving a fortune on hot water.
  • I found out recently that if i drive like an old woman rather than a young man I save a fortune on petrol.  Harldy rocket science, but it makes a big difference as I do 25k miles per year

• Stop bread from drying out by keeping it in a bucket of water.

@McBobbin So true mate - I have to drive up to Yorkshire once every few weeks, having been furious at the amount it cost me on weekend when I had impatiently pelted up there and back down again (think it was about £80), I made a point of driving as economically as possible the next time round and it cost me £25 less.

One final one, well worth signing up to that Quidco cashback site. If you shop online anyway you can make a fortune back on there, particularly when it comes to utilities, insurance, satellite tv etc.

• Bumped this for obvious reasons. Think it might be needed eleven years on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stop smoking, stop drinking, go on a diet?
  • Start by listing every single penny you spend for a month.
  • Can't see what the fuss is about the price of petrol. I only ever put twenty quids worth in.
    So enough to get you off the forecourt, turn round and back in again for the same?
  • Come on Martin, up your game
  • cafcfan said:
    First, don't, under any circumstances, have kids. Latest estimates indicate the average cost of raising a child to age 18 is £202,660. Much more if you go for private schooling of course. I mean, you could buy and run a Bentley for that sort of money!

Second, if you have more than one kid, probably best to get a mate to report you anonymously to Social Services, turn up drunk and abusive for the interview and have them taken into care.  Then get yourself a Lambo!

Third, Check out the tariffs on criminal offences. Get yourself banged up for six months between Oct-March - pay nothing for food or utilities during the winter months.

And, finally, the sensible option. Marry a small woman with small feet. No VAT on kids clothes and shoes. It also helps if she is allergic to make-up. 

As a bonus have a niece with 12-year-old female twins who have out-grown their clothes and size3 shoes and the aforementioned small woman gets loads of handy on-trend cast-offs*.

*Not sure about the Derry GAA tops though.
    Kids are not cheap but I don’t buy into this £202,660 figure that would mean having two kids would cost you £22k a year. Not possible for the vast majority of families and also I’m sure not remotely true. A total 18 year outlay of £404,000 is quite ridiculous. 
  • cafcfan said:
    First, don't, under any circumstances, have kids. Latest estimates indicate the average cost of raising a child to age 18 is £202,660. Much more if you go for private schooling of course. I mean, you could buy and run a Bentley for that sort of money!

Second, if you have more than one kid, probably best to get a mate to report you anonymously to Social Services, turn up drunk and abusive for the interview and have them taken into care.  Then get yourself a Lambo!

Third, Check out the tariffs on criminal offences. Get yourself banged up for six months between Oct-March - pay nothing for food or utilities during the winter months.

And, finally, the sensible option. Marry a small woman with small feet. No VAT on kids clothes and shoes. It also helps if she is allergic to make-up. 

As a bonus have a niece with 12-year-old female twins who have out-grown their clothes and size3 shoes and the aforementioned small woman gets loads of handy on-trend cast-offs*.

*Not sure about the Derry GAA tops though.
    Kids are not cheap but I don’t buy into this £202,660 figure that would mean having two kids would cost you £22k a year. Not possible for the vast majority of families and also I’m sure not remotely true. A total 18 year outlay of £404,000 is quite ridiculous. 
    Indeed! I have 5 children and sure heck aren't spending £100k a year on them!
  • If you drive and you are able, trade your car in and get a PCP on an electric car, no MOT for three years, under £40000 there is no road tax, depending on your use could be a fuel saving in the hundreds. Failing that look at the deals offered on public transport.