Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Biggest difference in attendance from one game to the next.

I had the pleasure of watching the mighty Spalding United beat St Neots Town 1-0 today in front of a bumper crowd of 381.
The last game I went to was the cup game at Old Trafford, with an attendance of 74,345.

I got thinking that not many people will have ever been to two games with such a large difference in crowd numbers.

Anyone else had similar experiences from one game to the next? Maybe other sports?

Comments

• I went to Hull v Charlton on 19th March 1986, the crowd was just over 7k. Following day went to the Milk (league) cup final between Oxford and QPR, crowd was over 90k
  • I thought from the title of this thread that it would be for the same team, and for this surely it has to be Charlton Reserves when Simonsen arrived.
  • Guessing lots of people will have gone to the playoff final at Wembley and then their next match will have been a pre-season friendly.
  • On this note I was randomly looking at some old crowd figures the other day 🥸

Some mind boggling (in a bad way) mid 80s crowds - 11,000 at recent European cup winners Villa Vs West Ham in a top flight match, 8,800 for a top flight West Midlands derby Baggies V Cov

And Chelsea as one example, in consecutive home fixtures in sept 1993 - sheff Wed 16,000, then United 37,000. That sort of huge disparity for league fixtures is unthinkable now at any level really 

Some mind boggling (in a bad way) mid 80s crowds - 11,000 at recent European cup winners Villa Vs West Ham in a top flight match, 8,800 for a top flight West Midlands derby Baggies V Cov

And Chelsea as one example, in consecutive home fixtures in sept 1993 - sheff Wed 16,000, then United 37,000. That sort of huge disparity for league fixtures is unthinkable now at any level really 

(Ignoring of course special deals like our sell out footballer for a fiver type Cheat codes)

47k  Man City v Charlton in 1985 as they got promoted to the top flight when crowds were pony back then, that was a mammoth attendance 

I remember Chelsea only getting 7-8k for some games in the 80's. Crowds were very poor, football was dead on its feet back then. 
  • Sponsored links:

47k  Man City v Charlton in 1985 as they got promoted to the top flight when crowds were pony back then, that was a mammoth attendance 
    The previous away game was at Carlisle, when the crowd was 2,635
  • I thought from the title of this thread that it would be for the same team, and for this surely it has to be Charlton Reserves when Simonsen arrived.
    We have the winner.

Simmo's first game was against Swansea and drew 2000 fans, I'm guessing we'd have been getting no more than 300 normally.
  • edited February 2023
    Colin Cameron wrote about us playing Arsenal in the Cup at The Valley in front of 72,000 and the following Wednesday we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in an afternoon kick off, in Arctic conditions, in front of about 8,000.
  • edited February 2023
    My sons u14 match attendance of 17 in 2019
    2019  League One Play Off final 76,155 
    Close but you probably win. I went to our u18s friendly away at Eastbourne United in the summer after the playoff final.
  • Non Charlton.
    I was at Old Trafford for a midweek European fixture with 75k ish in attendance.
    On the Saturday I was at Flint Town Utd with a crowd in the region of 500.
    And just to throw another one in, the next day on the Sunday I was at Anfield with a crowd in the region of 54k 
  • It would seem that nigh on 200,000 watched the Huddersfield 7-6 game (according to anecdotal evidence) and 18 turned up for the next game.
  • I was one of the 18
  • I was one of the people who managed to go to a game in 2020/21 and thus experienced a massive drop in attendance, and in a normal league game, due to Covid restrictions. 

Home vs Middlesbrough in March 2020, the last game before lockdown, 18,080
    Home vs MK Dons in December 2020, one of the test games, 2,000

Ignoring the PSF friendly in the summer of 2021, my first EFL game then was
    Home vs Sheffield Wednesday in August 2021, 17,639
  • edited February 2023
    I went to Hull v Charlton on 19th March 1986, the crowd was just over 7k. Following day went to the Milk (league) cup final between Oxford and QPR, crowd was over 90k
    Did you know that Oxford only won that (they were massive underdogs) because the QPR club doctor accidentally drugged his own team?
  • JamesSeed said:
    I went to Hull v Charlton on 19th March 1986, the crowd was just over 7k. Following day went to the Milk (league) cup final between Oxford and QPR, crowd was over 90k
    Did you know that Oxford only won that (they were massive underdogs) because the QPR club doctor accidentally drugged his own team?
    Really?? QPR were awful that day, I was in the seats right next to the stairs on the way down from the Royal Box and when Michael Robinson came past he was inconsolable and looked like he was trying to get rid of his losers medal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember a mate of mine saying he went to a game at Selhurst and the attendance was about 4560 and the next game he didn't go and the attendance was 4559. 
    Leave the CL jury as to the truth of the matter 
  • I went to the FA Cup Final replay, MU V Brighton (92,000) not sure who we played before or after that but I was probably there as I hardly missed a game back then.
  • 1998 Play-off Final followed by Sittingbourne away pre season friendly which we lost.
  • In the Summer of 2021, just towards the end of the pandemic rules I was doing as much non league as I could to get my fix.

Punjab United vs Faversham Town in a friendly in front of less than 100 people, but then managed to get a ticket for Spain vs Italy at Wembley for the Euro 2020 Semi Final which had 57,000.
  • This is cheating somewhat, but my last game before the playoff final was the women's match away at Selhurst. 900 or so at that one.