Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Arsenal after Carson

edited February 2007 in Rumours
Reported in a number of papers this morning, so something must of got out.

I think even if we do stay up, we won't be able to attract him next season, they'll be too many bigger clubs waiting in the queue first. Unless Pardew can sell him the vision of the future etc.

Either way, has been the most successful loan signing we've ever had and i really think he has the ability to go on and be England's number one.

Comments

• I saw this too, and i totally agree, great bloke and great keeper. Will go all the way, although he has some great competition in that foster fellow, he is also quality.
  • I think, realistically, we all knew this was going to happen.

The thing is, the lad's played fantastically all season, made all the right noises about fighting against relegation, that he's enjoying his time here etc. etc. so, when he and Baby Bent do inevitably go, I'm sure it'll be with all of our best wishes.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Either way, has been the most successful loan signing we've ever had and .

typical newbie fan...the most successful loan signing has to be alan macdonald from qpr who kept us up when we looked dead and buried...
  • edited February 2007
    well i was going to offer John Hendrie.....
  • of course, you could also include supermac who guested for us one night in a testimonial match and got on the score sheet and therefore had a 100% record...cant get more successful than that......
  • edited February 2007
    At Liverpool his future is uncertain...Reina is the established #1, and there's Dudek plus rumours that Liverpool are looking to sign this or that keeper. For him going back there and sitting on the bench or in the stands makes no sense. What makes me think that there might be something in this is that Arsenal have offered Jens Lehmann a one year deal when he wants two and there are stories in the German press that Jens wants to come home.

Realistically Carson looks a future England #1 and no doubt will be in a year or two, unless Pardew can work some magic and convince him to stay I think he might just prove to be a fond memory.
  • I think we still have a chance of keeping him (excuse the pun) providing we stay up. Really think it is that simple, doubtful even Wenger would 'Guarantee' him the No1 spot over any of his other keepers, something that we could do. Still been a pleasure to watch him this season.
  • if we stay up then he is the most successful loan signing we have ever had just due to the money if anything else
  • and then there's jorge costa...i seem to recall he had a pretty good season and effect on the team...
  • i still think the Costa thing was overated.

He had a good impact on us, but he came into what we can now see looking back, a decent team. A good man marker, but defensively had plenty of question marks, particularly against pace and movement. If he had stayed another season he would of been found out big time.

His popularity was accentuated because his nickname was The Tank and we managed to come up with a decent song for him.

FACT :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]and then there's jorge costa...i seem to recall he had a pretty good season and effect on the team...

My Dad tells me about Hans Jepsen, from Sweden, who played about a dozen top flight games for us in the early 50's.

Apparently we were relegation fodder and almost dead and buried - Jepsen signed for us about February, scored 10 or 12 goals (including a hatrick in a 5-2 WIN at Arsenal) and we stayed up comfortably.
  • "i still think the Costa thing was overated.

He had a good impact on us, but he came into what we can now see looking back, a decent team. A good man marker, but defensively had plenty of question marks, particularly against pace and movement. If he had stayed another season he would of been found out big time.

His popularity was accentuated because his nickname was The Tank and we managed to come up with a decent song for him.

FACT :-)"

We have a non believer!! Stone him!!
  • How very dare you AFKA
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]and then there's jorge costa...i seem to recall he had a pretty good season and effect on the team...

You guys are all forgetting Martin Pringle.

...... Oh, nevermind.
  • colin pates.........
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Either way, has been the most successful loan signing we've ever had and .

typical newbie fan...the most successful loan signing has to be alan macdonald from qpr who kept us up when we looked dead and buried...

I think Oggy Red has trumped you with his "Hans Jepson" post!
  • Alan Kernaghan was a great loan signing.
  • Kernaghan was great, i remember the stories were that we were scraping together funds to keep him. I was sooo excited. Lennie leaves to boro and makes Kernaghan captain up there... bugger
  • i think it was £300k we were going to pay for him.
  • I win - Neil Heaney. Taricco, nuff said!
  • Sponsored links:

• Mike Small was a good one, and who could forget Rueben Agboola?

You know, Rue....... oh never mind!
  • And then there's the one who played in the first match back at the Valley - Lee Power from Norwich, wasn't it?

Violently disagree with you on Jorge, too, AFKA (though suspect a wind-up) - he was a class act, and helped keep us out of what could easily have become a relegation battle. Don't think we've had any other loan signings (yet) who've gone on to captain a team to the UEFA Cup then the Champions League...so maybe he wouldn't have got found out!
  • What about Dennis Bailey from QPR - and Ricky Otto from Southend or was it Brum?
    Keithie's boy, Gavin Peacock from QPR - for the Newbies.

And for Lennie fans........Kenny Achapong from Fulham!
  • not forgetting 5-12-92 lee power.
  • Mike Kearns, ageing 3rd Division goalkeeper borrowed from Walsall.... played, erm....just the once, I believe.

Went all the way down to Plymouth in 1973 in Clockwork Orange white coats and bowler hats - and got stuffed 5-0.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]not forgetting 5-12-92 lee power.

You were a bit slow there, pbs, look two posts before you...
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]not forgetting 5-12-92 lee power.

You were a bit slow there, pbs, look two posts before you...

****hangs head in shame and gives credit back to weegie*******