Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Think the major question in the summer is whether the owners agree with how much Jones feels he needs to do transfer wise. 

Jones can't see this team as promotion contenders. So will the owners front the bill for the major changes we require? 
  • Options
    Judging by the comments, my decision to watch Dune 2 instead of watching the game was a good one.
  • Options
    edited April 1
    And our set piece woes continue.
    Corner comes to diddly. Not a sniff. And within 30 seconds the opposition are in our box and nearly score. I actually dread us getting them. It's beyond a joke.
  • Options
    edited April 1
    Don’t know if this is a whoosh joke but didn’t they drop the ‘Borough’ about 20 years ago?
  • Options
    A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
    A warm welcome to the Carl Piergianni fan club mate, alongside myself and his Mum. 
  • Options
    edited April 1
    1StevieG said:
    i just want to know how the ref gives a free and books Watson who kicks the ball out and the oppos player dives over Watsons leg? 
    Third Division referees, eh?

Even worse than Third Division players.   :|

• Options
    For the first time ever I actually fell asleep in the second half. Got woke up with fits of laughter about me.
    They should have let you sleep, you weren’t missing anything! 
  • Options
    3 home games left. That was the last one for me till next season. No point wasting precious spare time watching pub league stuff.

Tuesday week we are at home to Wigan.

Same time, there is a lovely pub waiting with mates watching Arsenal v Bayern and Man City v Real Madrid.

No contest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 home games left. That was the last one for me till next season. No point wasting precious spare time watching pub league stuff.

Tuesday week we are at home to Wigan.

Same time, there is a lovely pub waiting with mates watching Arsenal v Bayern and Man City v Real Madrid.

No contest. 
    Tuesday week could be a new low in terms of attendance then. Wigan arent likely to bring many & I'm sure lots of our fans will decide to stay at home / go to the pub to watch those games.
  • Options
    A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
    I imagine there would have been more substitutes, except Watson having to be replaced meant that we'd used all 3 substitution breaks

At the time I thought it was a bit silly to bring on Bakinson for May (our 2nd sub break) just as Watson went down injured, rather than waiting to see if he needed replacing and making 2 changes at once.
  • Options
    In regards to Dobson and coming from someone who has stuck my neck out for him, I do think we need to move on. There's no way we should be paying a fee for him, Scott has had a disaster there, and I don't think he can play in a midfield with Coventry. We spent some serious cash on Coventry and he is the future of this midfield. I think we stick with Coventry and spend whatever the fee would be on Dobson elsewhere. 

Dobson did some heroics today, but we also created absolutely nothing from the middle and it was all very laboured just like against Exeter. I thought they could play in the same team, which they can against better sides, but when we want to beat these ordinary teams who play it safe, it's no good.

Absolutely love him but I think the timing is right for us both. Next season we need two midfielders to play Infront of Coventry with similar skill sets to the likes of Aribo and Cullen. At the moment we are so woeful and slow in the middle. There's also no way Alfie should be playing as a 10.

We need a partner for Alfie up top to bring out the best in him, it's too soon for Kanu imo and we can't gamble on Leaburn or Chuks. We then need some midfielders who can actually travel with a ball and control the middle to give players like May a chance to run on the shoulder. The lack of control in midfield against these sides is alarming. 

Jones is going to need a few million at least to turn this around and he's gonna have to get them in quick to drill in some kind of playstyle. If we don't, it will be another average season in this shit league and it won't be his fault at all.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Don’t know if this is a whoosh joke but didn’t they drop the ‘Borough’ about 20 years ago?
    Yes they did but their nickname is Boro . Not Borough 
  • Options
    sm said:
    It may be sacrilegious but my view is that Nathan Jones should drop Dobson for the rest of the season. He isn't creative enough to play in that position and we need to leave Coventry where he is as that will be his position next season. 
    Dobbo has been an absolute titan for us since his arrival and up until Christmas. When all around him were dreadful or injured, he soldiered on, relentlessly running and breaking up play. Now, HE seems to be breaking up OUR play, with his atrocious distribution, that has become a liability. God I've loved watching that lad in our colours, but his form is awful. I've posted previously, he's the only player, who has had his name on the back of my shirt in over 35 seasons of buying shirts (that's a lot of good players who missed out). Words i never thought i'd say, but he might aswell go, his time is up. I don't doubt his passion for one minute, but a new face needs to be tried, someone who might fill his shoes for next season, or at least be a backup, for an incoming playmaker.

A point, a clean sheet, but feck that was a truly awful watch. Devoid of any redeeming features throughout the whole game.

I'd make the lot of them watch it all again on Monday, as thousands of fans spent hard earned money to watch that excuse for a football match. 

Did anyone notice Jones shaking his head as he went to shake hands with the Stevenage coach. He knew they were all as bad as each other. Embarrassed he should be after that. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Utterly turgid.
  • Options

I was practically laughed off the site when I suggested Piergianna as a decent centre back before Christmas 
  • Options
    Judging by the comments, my decision to watch Dune 2 instead of watching the game was a good one.
    You could have watched the original Dune movie and been even mre bored than watching the match!
  • Options
    Well we're still unbeaten and yet its not enough for us still. Bolton could only draw at Stevenage on Friday and yet somehow we do the same and it's dogsh*t.

You don't need to be an expert in body language to see that Nathan probably wants to find a table tennis table and slam several players heads onto it so instead he must be gritting his teeth so tightly to just keep him from losing his sh*t before going to Sports Direct. 

Nathan has little choice with players but his ability to turn around this team of misfits after what we previously had is miracle. Of course he's not the messiah but at least he knows how important it is not to lose in this dreadful league when your at the crap end of it. 
    I completely agree with you that this isn't on Jones. He has done wonders to get us away from trouble and despite us not reaching 50 points yet, i think realistically we probably already have enough points to stay up because I can't see Burton/Port Vale/Cheltenham all winning 3 matches out of 6.

But in reference to your first paragraph it's not a case of people moaning because we got a point, they are moaning because the football was absolutely awful. People pay their money and give up their time to be entertained, and yesterday was about as much fun as a trip to the dentist.

However i'm quite sure that Jones knows what we need and i for one am looking forward to seeing if we do make early moves in the summer window, as he hinted at in a recent interview.
  • Options
    I was also surprised at how bad Stevenage were. A side with the play offs still in sight but they offered very little and are now 7 without a win. This run they're on is a huge fuck up from them.
  • Options
    PWR. The 5-3-2 system will almost certainly see us safe but it doesn't lend itself to creativity the way we're playing it. Would love to see what Kanu in particular can do with better service. Add to that, we're playing Dobson & Coventry - both good players but too similar. I'm sure Jones realises this and will, given support, make the necessary changes for next term.
  • Options
    Grin and bear it and hope Jones is given the dosh to re build - a fit powerful striker, a centre half like their nr.5, 2 or 3 creative midfielders / wingers / wing backs and a midfield all rounder like Brannigan at Oxford to start with 
  • Options
    I think yesterday's game probably makes my Top Ten worst games of all times list. Might even break into the top five. 

Our two strikers were pretty grim (Kanu tried very hard and did do a couple of good things) and barely anything stuck to them. That's one massive area to address for next season....get a striker that can hold the ball up, so we can play further up the pitch. 

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see 3-5-2 working for a whole season. Not unless we can sign three more proper WBs to go with Small (we're going to need cover). 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I think yesterday's game probably makes my Top Ten worst games of all times list. Might even break into the top five. 

Our two strikers were pretty grim (Kanu tried very hard and did do a couple of good things) and barely anything stuck to them. That's one massive area to address for next season....get a striker that can hold the ball up, so we can play further up the pitch. 

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see 3-5-2 working for a whole season. Not unless we can sign three more proper WBs to go with Small (we're going to need cover). 
    For me a 352 only works if you have two very good wing backs as they're probably the two most important positions in the formation. If the wing backs aren't good, it's quite likely the team will not function properly.

Small is good (is he signed for next season yet?) but we need similar on the right. Ramsay can be the right sided back up but we absolutely need to sign a good quality RWB for the first XI.