Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
    A warm welcome to the Carl Piergianni fan club mate, alongside myself and his Mum. 
    Previous starring roles at Altrincham, Salford and Oldham but Steve Evans can recognize a slab head battering ram when he sees one and how to use him. Better forwards would be rolling him all day and other refs on another day would interpret “coming together” slightly less leniently. But how I wish he was on our side yesterday.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Not much to add, wasnt great, far from it really, tuned in from work and then decided to stare at a blank database instead.

As others have said its not what a lot of us were hoping for when Jones came in but he has delivered on what was needed in getting us away from the drop as quickly as possible, Im confident with the right backing and preseason we'll be a different team next season, but I still see this period as a positive as it shows Jones is more than capable of  pragmatic, mixing it up "needs must" approach football rather than being wedded to a system/ formation/ style and hoping for a turn around.

Special mention to Hector another good game and a strong case for a renewal.

Extra special mention to Piergianni not even the great beast had much luck against him.

Extra extra special mention to Ladapo, not lived up to the expectation, just doesnt look particularly capable of anything. 
  • Options
    Hope the powers-that-be look at Charlton Life and realise just how disillusioned fans have become. If the owners do not respond this summer and fail to give us at least some reason to be optimistic, we will be on downward spiral from which it will be hard to escape. And that’s assuming we escape relegation. 
  • Options
    A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
    A warm welcome to the Carl Piergianni fan club mate, alongside myself and his Mum. 
    Previous starring roles at Altrincham, Salford and Oldham but Steve Evans can recognize a slab head battering ram when he sees one and how to use him. Better forwards would be rolling him all day and other refs on another day would interpret “coming together” slightly less leniently. But how I wish he was on our side yesterday.
    Yeah if there's one thing we lacked it was a dominant defence
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I couldn't post last night. When I got home around 7:15 pm, I just needed to immerse myself in family life. Chat to my wife about my time with the grandkids earlier in the day, have dinner, watch some TV, just forget about the football for a while.

It was quite the April fools joke, kidding many thousands of people to give up most of a precious bank holiday to watch what was supposed to be a football match. It barely merited that description. As we left the stadium, the hollowed bowl of our beloved Valley was mirrored in the sunken eyes of all us poor souls who were there, subjected to this twisted mis-representation of the “beautiful game”.

With Stevenage still in with a chance of the play-offs and Charlton still not absolutely safe from relegation we might have expected at least some energy and fight. Instead they collectively served up what looked like an end of season kickabout with absolutely nothing riding on it. So, another turgid point as we crawl step by tedious step towards the glory of league one survival.

Nathan Jones has certainly improved our points haul, although wins are proving difficult to come by, but the performances remain dire. Even the increased intensity and passion he generated initially seem to have seeped away into the historic Valley turf. I am still very much on his side, but by Christ he needs better material to work with.

Supporting Charlton is like being in an abusive relationship. Always hoping “they’ll" change, clinging onto the memories of rare and fleeting happiness, but knowing deep down that you are destined to be miserable. I'll be renewing mine and my sons season tickets this week. But doing so is the very definition of a “triumph of hope over experience”.

It was just that. No real urgency from either side to really do anything. I get it, but as Davo said, it was a bank holiday so I'm guessing there was a fair few there that have never been before. It was hardly an endorsing performance to bring them back.
     And I thought that was one of the owners, well Methvens at least main aim??
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I think yesterday's game probably makes my Top Ten worst games of all times list. Might even break into the top five. 

Our two strikers were pretty grim (Kanu tried very hard and did do a couple of good things) and barely anything stuck to them. That's one massive area to address for next season....get a striker that can hold the ball up, so we can play further up the pitch. 

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see 3-5-2 working for a whole season. Not unless we can sign three more proper WBs to go with Small (we're going to need cover). 
    For me a 352 only works if you have two very good wing backs as they're probably the two most important positions in the formation. If the wing backs aren't good, it's quite likely the team will not function properly.

Small is good (is he signed for next season yet?) but we need similar on the right. Ramsay can be the right sided back up but we absolutely need to sign a good quality RWB for the first XI.
    Ramsey is a quality first team player and Watson or someone else will be his back up player IMO.
    Calls for a complete overhaul I think are both unlikely and unnecessary. We do need a big striker to add to May, Kanu, and Leaburn. Someone like Clarke-Harris.
    Essential is an attacking midfielder to play behind the strikers. He also needs to be a captain. We really lack some leadership on the field. Against Exeter we were under sustained pressure and yet took quick free kicks and throw ins.Yesterday at the start of the second half the same thing. Someone on the pitch should have slowed it down. Pearce would have had a sit down!
    Dobbo if he stays to drop to the bench with Anderson replacing him.
    After these two positions it is a bit more taste and fancy. I would want a left winger (Blackett-Taylor on loan would do as Derby don’t play him) to give us the option to change formation if needed, and a GK who commands the box a bit more. Although Isted is growing on me we need better competition.
    Three or four quality players would transform the side IMO. Back ups would be lovely 😊 

• Options
    edited April 2
    Awful game. Pleased for the clean sheet. On a positive we are looking much more organised defensively and starting to look assured instead of chaotic. Hard to say whether Small was having an off day for his crossing or it’s a genuine weakness to his game. 

Will try and take the positives of the clean sheet and Kanu continues to improve game by game. 

Only 5 matches left until the summer break. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2
    Wont read too much into the match... Stevenage's season has been based on playing turgid Football like that all season, we've taken a step forward under Jones as imagine we'd have lost it under Appleton, but won't be surprised if we see more half hearted performances as we sleep walk towards lower mid-table.

The number of players we need next season based on that performance is immaterial, we certainly need better strength in depth... Because... and here's the shocking revelation... We'll get injuries like we always do, like other teams will, and we'll also have performances as bad, if not worse than that at times next season regardless.

The important factor is we have a lot less than this season, and that we can turn a lot more of these draws into wins.

Clean Sheet was certainly a bonus
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

A lot of people like him mate. We'd be lucky to have him.

Dobson was very good at the last ditch stuff today, but... he had a clear site of goal from the edge of the box and blasted it way over. We need to start hitting the target (a la Aneke), and shoot more often, particularly early in games.

And a shout out to Bakinson, who again came on and and looked to get forward. His first touch (I think) was a first time effort from inside the box that went just wide, when tightly marked. He at least tries to create something when he's on the pitch.
    If you're going to moan about Dobson firing over, then you should also comment on the misplaced pass from Bakinson right at the end that sent Stevenage off on a counterattack that they almost scored from.

You may not have seen it but NJ was going absolutely ape-shit at Bakinson as they walked off, his arms flying all over the place presumably showing him where his pass should actually have gone.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

No, you don't understand, we need to sign that 32 year old journeyman defender having the first proper L1 season of his career. It's the only way we'll progress as a club.
    Piergianni himself is probably not the exact solution we need but we absolutely would benefit from someone in his general mould and style. 

There's a place for classy, ball-playing CBs but there is just as much a place for an absolute unit who likes to batter people, at League One level anyway.
  • Options

Jones is going to need a few million at least to turn this around and he's gonna have to get them in quick to drill in some kind of playstyle. If we don't, it will be another average season in this shit league and it won't be his fault at all.

Got to watch the FFP there.
  • Options
    edited April 2

Someone said this to me on twitter yesterday (re journeyman career), who then also proceeded to call me a tragic grown man for vlogging, but it's not always about where you start and all that. He's undoubtedly one of the best performers in this league.

Some of our most impactful players in league 1 in Lyle, May and Holmes, were all late bloomers and had rather unimpressive careers before us (with the exception of May but still a late bloomer). If a player is playing well now, and doing is consistently, that's all that matters to me. 

In regards to age (which I've seen mentioned a few times) why are people so hung up on it. Plenty of players playing well into their 30s nowadays and our current nailed on play of the year, is in his 30s. If they're good and fit enough to play football, I don't know why the age bothers people. Especially in league 1
  • Options

Jones is going to need a few million at least to turn this around and he's gonna have to get them in quick to drill in some kind of playstyle. If we don't, it will be another average season in this shit league and it won't be his fault at all.

Got to watch the FFP there.
    We have spent a fair bit most seasons, a lot of people will be leaving so I don't think we will be too restricted in the transfer market. Don't think Jones would have signed if that was the case 
  • Options
    That was a really tough watch - no real quality from either side. I have watched much better quality games in NL South this season. I think we should have tried our passing game much more rather than try and match Stevenage's hoofball. Not that many positives to take from it, but the clean sheet was welcome and it's another point closer to safety (I think we are already just about safe on 47 points and a better goal difference than those below us).

Jones does seem to have made us much tougher to beat, which is a huge improvement.

I have no idea how Stevenage are close to the play-offs. They looked extremely limited.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

A lot of people like him mate. We'd be lucky to have him.

Dobson was very good at the last ditch stuff today, but... he had a clear site of goal from the edge of the box and blasted it way over. We need to start hitting the target (a la Aneke), and shoot more often, particularly early in games.

And a shout out to Bakinson, who again came on and and looked to get forward. His first touch (I think) was a first time effort from inside the box that went just wide, when tightly marked. He at least tries to create something when he's on the pitch.
    If you're going to moan about Dobson firing over, then you should also comment on the misplaced pass from Bakinson right at the end that sent Stevenage off on a counterattack that they almost scored from.

You may not have seen it but NJ was going absolutely ape-shit at Bakinson as they walked off, his arms flying all over the place presumably showing him where his pass should actually have gone.
    Agreed, but if I picked out every error and misplaced pass it'd be up there with Grapevine in the lengthy post stakes.
    Shame about the Bakinson pass because he's improved us when coming on as sub and makes things happen. He might have lost us the game with that one, and I doubt if Jones will forget that.

Would like to know what's happening with Jones, Wickham and Camara, all of whom seem to offer something we're lacking.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

No, you don't understand, we need to sign that 32 year old journeyman defender having the first proper L1 season of his career. It's the only way we'll progress as a club.
    We all must beware the folly of thinking we should sign a player based on seeing them a single time (I know you weren’t really doing that). I was at the Port Vale away match and came away convinced that Ikpeazu was exactly the striker we needed and nobody else would do. I was joyous when it looked like we were just about to sign him at the end of the January window. Anyway, that didn’t work out, but looking at his record the last time he scored a goal for Vale was that Charlton match and it was also the only goal he’s scored all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was also surprised at how bad Stevenage were. A side with the play offs still in sight but they offered very little and are now 7 without a win. This run they're on is a huge fuck up from them.
    It is also a reflection on how poor this league is this season.  next season will be a whole different proposition.  Rotherham are the poundland yo yo club, the remaining two places in the championship will be potentially half decent clubs and Wrexham will probably come up not lacking investment.
  • Options
    We're not going to get outmuscled by bloody Rotherham, surely. Surely
  • Options
    We need more players through the team who score goals. 
    Give this man a promote.
    Nah. Give him a medal.
  • Options
    See that Dobson is getting dug out a bit and not really sure why. He’s never been an offensive minded midfielder so not sure why expectations are seemingly coming from around that. He’s not playing at the best we’ve seen him, but who is?  He does seem though one of the only ones actually wanting to receive the ball and seek it out, and made a couple of crucial interventions near the end. 

Coventry seems to be consistently marked higher yesterday, but I can’t see why personally. Interested in hearing what people thought he did better than Dobson as I didn’t feel he was in the game anywhere near enough 
     I'm guessing it's down to the fact he's off.
    People look at him on a downward trajectory and Coventry on an upward one.
     I honestly think it's time he moved on. I thank him for his outstanding efforts over the years but it's time..
    We need a spark in the middle and with both Dobson and Coventry in the there it's unlikely to come. They are far too alike.
    I know you shouldn't hark back for better days gone by  but with our current stock I'm trying to work out Who's our Beliek, who's our Cullen and who's our Aribo?
    Unfortunately I can't make a case for Dobson for any of the slots these days.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Leuth said:
    In 2017-18 they outplaced us and were promoted via play-offs easing past the side who made light work of us. 

In 21/22 they went up automatically while we lingered with a mid-table finish in 13th. 

There's a serious argument to be made that Rotherham have been a more successful club in the last 8 years or so with more promotions under their belt and more fixtures played in the championship? 

Not a team to take lightly and will be right up there as they usually are in league1.
  • Options
    See that Dobson is getting dug out a bit and not really sure why. He’s never been an offensive minded midfielder so not sure why expectations are seemingly coming from around that. He’s not playing at the best we’ve seen him, but who is?  He does seem though one of the only ones actually wanting to receive the ball and seek it out, and made a couple of crucial interventions near the end. 

Coventry seems to be consistently marked higher yesterday, but I can’t see why personally. Interested in hearing what people thought he did better than Dobson as I didn’t feel he was in the game anywhere near enough 
    I wouldn't necessarily dig him out on a personal level but yesterday was a microcosm of his limitations as a player - he's good at getting the ball and there's none better at the combative, tackling part of the game.... but he's not and never has been particularly progressive or attack minded.

Against a safety first, defensive and frankly rather boring side like Stevenage the Dobsons of this world are never going to shine when you need someone to step up and play the unexpectedly clever pass or put May or whoever through on goal.

You could and probably should say the same thing about Coventry to be fair and there's bigger problems if you don't have the right combination up front anyway so it's not all on Dobson - but I don't think it's unfair to say he's excellent at a very specific job... but limited outside of that one job.
  • Options
    Well that was 96 minutes of my life I will never get back and £27.50 I will never see again!!
    On the plus side, it was good to catch up with an old mate in the Fans Bar and the Meantime Pale tasted as wonderfully bland as it ever does. Thought it was quiet in there when I arrived (didn't have to wait to be served) and wasn't therefore surprised to see some large gaps in the Covered End.
    Nice to feel the warm sun on my face, particularly during the second half, when I closed my eyes, switched off, enjoyed the sunshine and waited patiently for a goal...
    Bought my ticket the night before and didn't get surcharged. Have the Management changed the policy?
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Leuth said:
    In 2017-18 they outplaced us and were promoted via play-offs easing past the side who made light work of us. 

In 21/22 they went up automatically while we lingered with a mid-table finish in 13th. 

There's a serious argument to be made that Rotherham have been a more successful club in the last 8 years or so with more promotions under their belt and more fixtures played in the championship? 

Not a team to take lightly and will be right up there as they usually are in league1.
    They also don't have the Manager that took them to that success in the years you mention - So could well be a very different proposition under Matt Taylor back at this level.

Paul Warne with his history at this level is probably the best Manager to appoint in League One.
  • Options
    According to NJ, Watson will be OK for Saturday and Ramsay will also be available