Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Barnsley | Saturday 6th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    I'm getting cheesed off keep predicting draws AND usually being right .. sooooo .. this one could genuinely produce any result, two good teams going at it .. Barnsley have more to play for, they'll be keen to keep their play off spot as the season draws towards its end .. given the Tykes have more incentive than us, I am going for a VERY narrow away win, thus bringing our unbeaten trot to a halt .. having said all this, a win for us or an exciting draw would not surprise at all 
    F*** me, this is the first time the eternal optimist has predicted a Charlton defeat :o. I hope you're feeling alright mate :)
    No idea why, BUT I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Barnsley, AND this isn't the first time I have 'predicted' an Addicks defeat, usually I just don't publish the fact
    Hope that all's well in Brrrrazzzzeeeellll Gary
  • Options
    I'm expecting a slightly more exciting game, but nothing to get excited about. A draw or a narrow win for either side, Barnsley being poor at home but excellent away this season.

It will be interesting which centre backs make the cut, as we do have a lot of options there.
  • Options
    Barnsley have the best away record in the EFL so I'm not too optimistic. I'm going for 1-1 draw - Chuks to score an equaliser 
    This. I'm hoping for 1-1, but fear a 1-2.
  • Options
    You never know with Charlton. They often surprise by beating the top sides when you least expect it. I am going for a 2-0 win. 
  • Options
    Can't see a bumper crowd tomorrow let's hope they put a shift in & make it worth while for those of us who do 
    COYR 😎

• Options
    edited April 5
  • Options
    5 to go thankfully. An awful season but it could have been so much worse. Barnsley should reach the play offs and play better football than Stevenage so it should make for a better game. We are getting tough to beat, honours even, 2-2.
  • Options
    We will have to be at our best to force a draw...narrow defeat.
  • Options
    Yes another flat atmosphere I expect and unsurprisingly really bearing in mind the season we have had. Hoping the players can muster up some passion. 1-1. Alfie with with the opener.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    Not sure I can face it. 
    Surely you will, in the hope you'll have something to moan about on here.
    Say it isn't so! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm expecting a slightly more exciting game, but nothing to get excited about. A draw or a narrow win for either side, Barnsley being poor at home but excellent away this season.

It will be interesting which centre backs make the cut, as we do have a lot of options there.
    Would that be 5% more exciting? 10%? 'C'mon killer, 'slightly' is so hard to hang a hat on.  :D
  • Options
    Barnsley have sold a shade under 850 tickets for tomorrow so I imagine they'll have about 1000 for the game, not bad numbers considering they only have an outside chance of automatic promotion.
    I would call that poor given their league position 
  • Options
    Breaking a golf and boys all dayer jolly to rush around and make this, must be mad. 
  • Options
    I kind of get why so many are saying all they want is for the season to be over. But I bet within a month they'll be gagging for the new season to start and anxiously waiting for 22nd June to see who we've got on the opening day. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I kind of get why so many are saying all they want is for the season to be over. But I bet within a month they'll be gagging for the new season to start and anxiously waiting for 22nd June to see who we've got on the opening day. 
    Yeh, I guess we should cherish every remaining game and patiently await more of the same next season  ;)
  • Options
    Breaking a golf and boys all dayer jolly to rush around and make this, must be mad. 
    Mad playing Golf? I think you're right 😀.
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Davo55 said:
    There have been games in recent seasons where I’ve given them a miss, using an excuse like it’s too fcking cold, I was enjoying myself too much drinking the free beer at an event, I can’t be bothered etc. Despite the crap that’s been served up this season I’ve not missed a home game so far, if you don’t count the cray valley Sunday evening live tv match and the EFL cup games. Nathan Jones may not have sorted everything out on the pitch just yet but it’s definitely heading in the right direction.

• Options
    I think Ramsay will be on the bench and get 15 mins at the end. 
    Will he bring on both wingers and try out a 4-4-2 formation? 
    Looking forward to the game.
  • Options
    1 win 4 losses and 5 draws in our last ten home games , if that doesn’t motivate you to get down to The Valley I don’t know what will 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    There have been games in recent seasons where I’ve given them a miss, using an excuse like it’s too fcking cold, I was enjoying myself too much drinking the free beer at an event, I can’t be bothered etc. Despite the crap that’s been served up I’ve not missed a home game so far, if you don’t count the cray valley Sunday evening live tv match and the EFL cup games. Nathan Jones may not have sorted everything out on the pitch just yet but it’s definitely heading in the right direction.

Agree, but more than that (for me) is that I still remember the longing to be back at the Valley during the shit years of exile at Selhurst and Upton Park, and not being able to go during the covid pandemic. Still love going there whatever the football is like and I miss it like crazy during the close season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hadn't been aware of Barnsley's fearsome away record, with only one defeat this season and 7 wins and 4 draws in the last 11 games. They're due a defeat somewhere along the line, although the same can be said of us with our 10-match unbeaten run, especially as a number of those performances have been a little pedestrian. I suppose it points to a draw as the most likely outcome but who knows.

At least Barnsley should come out to win the game if they're to have any chance of catching Derby, so it should be a decent match if we can get our act together. I doubt there'll be many changes, although do I hope that Ladapo doesn't start, as he's generally been pretty hopeless.

The excellent retro football magazine, Back Pass, always includes a column on what's coming up on The Big Match Revisited. This series comes from the 1980-81 season and this morning's episode at 10:30am "focuses on the Division Three promotion race on 4 April when Charlton met Huddersfield. The Addicks were flying the flag for London, surrounded by a Yorkshire triumvirate of the Terriers, Rotherham and Barnsley. Division One action came from Leicester City and Norwich..."

A nice taster prior to today's game, although it will be available later on ITVX.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    And then going completely over the top because we failed to beat Crawley in our first pre-season game!
  • Options
    It looks like a reduced service on Thameslink today, so worth checking the times before you depart.
  • Options
    Hoping for a nice convincing win. Maybe today it will all come together! 2-0 Addicks
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Looking forward to the lunchtime game on tv today in the Fans Bar. Hope Man City don’t disappoint and that whoever it is that switches over to watching Charlton tv for lip readers waits until the final whistle if City are running riot with the goals 
  • Options
    Davo55 you need to be in love with cricket as well,  which means the stress of Charlton (which is always there) can take a back seat and your sport fix can be fed elsewhere , obviously nothing is as blood curdling as watching The Addicks 

• Options
    Hoping for a nice convincing win. Maybe today it will all come together! 2-0 Addicks
    Ditto. Weirdly optimistic today
  • Options
    Looking forward to the lunchtime game on tv today in the Fans Bar. Hope Man City don’t disappoint and that whoever it is that switches over to watching Charlton tv for lip readers waits until the final whistle if City are running riot with the goals 
    Don’t get your hopes up too high..
  • Options
    I'm hoping we can win this, it won't be easy but if Wickham can start with Lua Lua, and bring on Chucks last 20 mins that'll cause their defence some problems!
  • Options
    I'm hoping we can win this, it won't be easy but if Wickham can start with Lua Lua, and bring on Chucks last 20 mins that'll cause their defence some problems!
    And our medical department problems on Monday...