Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Gray: My regret at Charlton exit

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
ANDY Gray has spoken of his frustration at not being able to produce his best form for Charlton after sealing a long-awaited move to Barnsley this week.

The experienced striker was keen to return to his northern roots to be closer to his family, particularly after a torrid year which saw his wife taken seriously ill.

And while Gray admits it is a relief to have the situation resolved, he wishes things could have been different at The Valley.

“It might sound strange but I really enjoyed my time at Charlton,” Gray told the South London Press.

“My wife has been ill and she’s still in the early stages of her recovery, so it’s important for us to be around our family as much as possible and to have them for support.

“If circumstances had been different I wouldn’t have wanted to leave.

“I’ll look back on my time at the club with frustration. With one thing and another it was a pretty disastrous year all round. My wife became ill, I got injured and Charlton were relegated.

“I would have loved to be able to show the fans more of what I can do because they certainly didn’t see the best of me, but that’s how football is sometimes.”

Good luck to him, apart from when he comes up against us.

Comments

• It's really is quite weird to hear him say he enjoyed his time at Charlton when he played consistently rubbish, got injured and his wife suffered a brain tumour. Not sure I get that one.
  • Can't really argue with that. Good luck Andy.
  • Nice comments from Andy Gray - he didn't need to say this. I wish him and his family luck for the future
  • Don't worry he won't come up against us again - we're going up and Barnsley will get relegated. Never rated him but Good luck to him. I think his biggest problem was that Pardew signed him without having a clue how to use him.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think his biggest problem was that Pardew signed him without having a clue how to use him.

Nail on head....good luck to him.
  • Well said ME14.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think his biggest problem was that Pardew signed him without having a clue how to use him.[/quote]

Nail on head....good luck to him.[/quote]

Agreed
  • I'm glad he and his family got what they wanted and we recovered something in return whether for re-investment or operating costs. You don't often hear a player reflect on their previous clubs like this, regardless of what went on, so good on him.
  • Agree with all these comments and I think we should be a little ashamed that there were some on here who turned on him when he was trying to expedite a move he obviously needed to make for his family, and were calling him a money-grabbing b****d who was holding CAFC to ransom etc...

My understanding is that - despite him knocking on Parky's door every day for a month - nothing could be further from the truth.
  • what's brunello's take on this
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair comments, just a shame he was utter shite and one of our worst ever buys.

That's football I suppose.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Fair comments, just a shame he was utter shite and one of our worst ever buys.

That's football I suppose.

Oh I dunno about that. He wasn't a good buy, that's for sure - but the list of worse buys is almost endless.

I'm thinking Traore, Faye, M Bent, Christensen, Rommedahl for starters!
  • Sounds like a gentleman to me. Good luck Andy Gray and family.
  • What the f*ck am I gonna do with a signed Andy Gray shirt now then??!!?

At least I soiled meatheads Shelvey one ;-)
  • good luck to the fella and and his family
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what's brunello's take on this

silence apparently.
  • Didn't work out at Charlton for a number of reasons - none really his fault. I always appreciate it when a player has something positive to say about the club when they leave no matter who they are, as said above he didn't have to say anything so good luck to him.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Fair comments, just a shame he was utter shite and one of our worst ever buys.

That's football I suppose.[/quote]

Oh I dunno about that. He wasn't a good buy, that's for sure - but the list of worse buys is almost endless.

I'm thinking Traore, Faye, M Bent, Christensen, Rommedahl for starters![/quote]

Colin Cameron should write about a book about the shite signings of the past 3 years.

"The UnValiant 50"
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]biggest problem was Pardew without having a clue.

Nail on head...

Agreed

:)
  • Best of luck Andy G
  • Sponsored links:

• You have to say fair play to him, he really didn't have to bother saying that.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Agree with all these comments and I think we should be a little ashamed that there were some on here who turned on him when he was trying to expedite a move he obviously needed to make for his family, and were calling him a money-grabbing b****d who was holding CAFC to ransom etc...

My understanding is that - despite him knocking on Parky's door every day for a month - nothing could be further from the truth.

Then Nigel, Im afraid you know nothing. This is a player who when his move to Barnsley was agreed by both clubs turned around and demanded that Charlton made up the shortfall in his pay...to the tune of £3k a week. I know that times are hard, but Im afraid that if Andy couldnt get by up north on £9k a week then something is seriously wrong with the world. Yes I sympathise about his Mrs, but lets not get too carried away with the "Poor Andy" Nonsense....he is far from poor....
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Agree with all these comments and I think we should be a little ashamed that there were some on here who turned on him when he was trying to expedite a move he obviously needed to make for his family, and were calling him a money-grabbing b****d who was holding CAFC to ransom etc...

Then Nigel, Im afraid you know nothing. This is a player who when his move to Barnsley was agreed by both clubs turned around and demanded that Charlton made up the shortfall in his pay...to the tune of £3k a week. I know that times are hard, but Im afraid that if Andy couldnt get by up north on £9k a week then something is seriously wrong with the world. Yes I sympathise about his Mrs, but lets not get too carried away with the "Poor Andy" Nonsense....he is far from poor....

If, and only if what you say is true Tel then Andy Gray should hang his head in shame. I and i suspect most other people on here would instantly take a 25% pay cut if it meant i could spend more time with my partner who had recently had a tumor! I really despise greed especially form privaliged people like footballers.
  • No point sitting in judgement now, the man has moved on ..... and so can we.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Agree with all these comments and I think we should be a little ashamed that there were some on here who turned on him when he was trying to expedite a move he obviously needed to make for his family, and were calling him a money-grabbing b****d who was holding CAFC to ransom etc...

but at the end of the day he has to do what is right for his family and that includes maximising his income. Who knows, if push really came to shove and he was left with a straight choice of Barnsley on 9k or stay with us on 12k but not being back up north where he wanted to be that he wouldn't have gone anyway. In the mean time wasn't it just negotiating the best deal he could get. What is wrong with that ?? And he may have still been on 9k pw, a considerable sum, but it's hardly like a JT haggling over a few grand when you are already on 135k pw or whatever.
  • edited August 2009
    The difference Large is that, if we believe Tel, he was quite happy to put the deal in jeopardy for the sake of the money and so we putting the cash before his family.

The club were accused of being heartless and penny pinching for not letting him go but he is right to put the money before his family moving back north? A bit inconsistant there.

And I doubt very much that he was on £12k pw with us.
  • No he is not POOR,

But his family situation is, leave him alone FFS he no longer plays for us.

I dont think it was to do with his wages at all especially when you consider the fact that the club stated "they have not met our valuation of Andy yet",

I'm glad he's now gone so all you lot can forget about it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A bit inconsistant there.
    Poppycock Henry! Large isn't inconsistent... he's consistently anti-Charlton ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The difference Large is that, if we believe Tel, he was quite happy to put the deal in jeopardy for the sake of the money and so we putting the cash before his family.

The club were accused of being heartless and penny pinching for not letting him go but he is right to put the money before his family moving back north? A bit inconsistant there.

And I doubt very much that he was on £12k pw with us.

sorry, can't see where I said the Club were being heartless and penny pinching. Can't see where I'm being inconsistant. As I was stating he was merely negotiating which some have interpreted as him putting the deal in jeopardy and putting money before his family which I'm sure he wasn't.

BTW, I didn't say he was on 12k pw, Tel did.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]A bit inconsistant there.
    Poppycock Henry! Large isn't inconsistent... he's consistently anti-Charlton ;-)

yeah that's right. It's why I drive to places like Hartlepool and back just so I can slag the team off and am well pissed off when we win. Nice in the Bahamas or Bermuda or wherever you are is it.