Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

1. Dobsons current contract with Charlton runs out at the end of the season 
    2. He has some sort of agreement with the Hungarian team after this date
    3. Jones rates him highly, Scott seemingly doesn't 

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 
    Not if that  player already has a legal contract with another team. 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
    There is no IF, it is binding.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
    Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all
    It’s as binding as any contract in football is. Charlton could buy any player who is under contract so long as a fee was agreed with the team that has the players registration and a contract is agreed with the player themselves. That’s what we would have to do in order to keep Dobson at Charlton. 
    I know, the other fella is talking like absolutely nothing can be done to change things
    Nothing other than a normal transfer can be done. 
  • Options
    I just can’t see him kicking a ball in Hungary…..as to what the consequences of that will turn out to be, is as clear as mud.🤔
  • Options
    There seem to be quite a few people on this thread who are absolutely confident of the validity, veracity and unimpeachability of the pre-contract Dobson appears to have executed.  However, to be certain of the outcome, one also has to be certain of the answer to a few questions.  I thought it might be interesting to articulate those questions, in an attempt to shed some darkness on the light others seem to be emanating.  

The questions that must be answered before determining whether the pre-contract is "binding", include the following: 

1. Is the Pre-Contract "subject to contract"?  In many pre-contracts, the heads of terms are often laid out and the intention and willingness of both parties to be bound by such terms is clarified.  But they remain "subject to contract", in order to prevent one or both parties falling foul of (foreseen or unforeseen) circumstances.  For example, if the player is prevented from signing the contract for some legal or technical issue, neither party would necessarily want to be held to the terms.  So, do we know if the pre-contract is "subject to contract"? 
    2. Is the pre-contract a Memorandum of Understanding, a Letter of Intent or a contract of employment?  If it's an MoU, or LoI, then both parties are signalling that, without prejudice, they're have the intention of completing the execution (signing) of the contract in the time period dictated (eg "this Summer").  Or, is it a contract, where both parties agree and sign on the dotted line?  The former (MoU or LoI) would be the simplest, most straightforward means of signalling intent to sign a contract at a specified time in the future (I have signed a lot of these, fwiw).  Or is it a contract?  (Which would not be binding, since he's already under contract, until 30 June 2024).  
    3. Does Dobson have a Work Permit and a Work Visa for Hungary?  Since the UK is no longer a member of the EU, a third-country citizen requires both of these in order to play professional football in Hungary.  If one or both are not yet in place, he cannot play and, one would assume (if the club have done their homework) would not be able to sign a contract.  
    4. When did the negotiation between Dobson and/or his representatives start with the club in Hungary? If the first contract was before January, then FIFA's regulations state: "Any breach of this provision shall be subject to appropriate sanctions". 
    5. When did the club inform Charlton, in writing, that they were negotiating a contract with Dobson?  If they omitted to do this, FIFA's regulations state: "Any breach of this provision shall be subject to appropriate sanctions". 

And, there's one more important question which still needs to be answered.  It's possibly more important than any of those above. 

6. Who does George Dobson want to play for next season? 
  • Options
    1. No 
    2. It’s a contract, this type of transfer happens 100s of not 1,000s of times a year
    3. Irrelevant 
    4/5. These rules are, sadly, a total joke. When has tapping up ever resulted in a cancelled contract?
    6. irrelevant 
  • Options
    I suppose a work visa and a work permit has to be applied for by the actual worker and not somebody else on their behalf.
    What if Dobson doesn’t apply for a permit or visa, does somebody forge his signature?
  • Options
    1. No 
    2. It’s a contract, this type of transfer happens 100s of not 1,000s of times a year
    3. Irrelevant 
    4/5. These rules are, sadly, a total joke. When has tapping up ever resulted in a cancelled contract?
    6. irrelevant 
    Just for clarification, you're saying his work permit and work visa are irrelevant and it doesn't matter who he wants to play for?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
    Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all
    No, it is binding, because Charlton must pay for to keep Dobbo.
    And that's the point here.

He could possibly stay, but for that to happen Charlton would have to agree a figure with Fehervar for them to agree to rip the contract up.

How realistic that figure is is key - it would need to be enough for Fehervar to think they're better off having the money than signing Dobson when he might rather stay, but small enough for Charlton to think they've not spent too much on their 'own' player and/or can do better offering that money on a different player.

For what it's worth I think he'll go - sadly the mess was created in January and that'll be that despite everyone wishing it wasn't.
    Exactly ⏫️ 👍 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

He could possibly stay, but for that to happen Charlton would have to agree a figure with Fehervar for them to agree to rip the contract up.

How realistic that figure is is key - it would need to be enough for Fehervar to think they're better off having the money than signing Dobson when he might rather stay, but small enough for Charlton to think they've not spent too much on their 'own' player and/or can do better offering that money on a different player.

For what it's worth I think he'll go - sadly the mess was created in January and that'll be that despite everyone wishing it wasn't.
    The other thing is that, Dobson's transfer fee, with only half year left from his contract, was around between 300-500K EUR. As I heard the first several offer declined, but the final one accepted by Charlton(Scott). In this case the contract lenght will be 3 years, so the transfer fee will be much more higher than that Charlton could had received at February. 
    Jones had kept Dobbo for half year, and avoid the relegation, and a same time Charlton lost the transfer fee.
    At the other hand, Charlton lose Dobbo for nothing, or have to pay much more higher to keep him.  
  • Options
    I think the biggest key to this is George himself, ultimately if he has changed his mind and decided he doesn't want to play in Hungary will Ferharvar want to be shelling out what is likely a high weekly wage by their standards to a player who doesn't want to be there? 

I am sure if the Charlton and George want to make it happen then an agreement with Ferharvar could be made.

It was a very strange decision to make on George's part if he wasn't 100% convinced as so much can change in 6 months.

My thoughts are that he will go to Hungary and be back in the EFL on loan in January 2025, whether that be at Charlton or another top end league one club is anyone's guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    1. No 
    3. Irrelevant 
    6. irrelevant 
    Just for clarification, you're saying his work permit and work visa are irrelevant and it doesn't matter who he wants to play for?
    Absolutely, even without a work visa they’d still hold his footballing registration, this also isn’t that uncommon.

Who he wants to play for is irrelevant, unless the club decide him not wanting to be there is enough to sell him. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Unravelling the Dobson thing is beginning to sound like too much aggro, and in the end Methven (who I think runs the club) will wash his hands of it and allow Dobson to depart even if Dobson wishes to stay, and we can all see he is one of our best players.
    Methven may well bounce responsibility to Andy Scott, and there may be some truth in that sharing of responsibility for incompetence. 
    Personally I want Dobbo to stay, and for once I believe I am part of the majority.
    Oxford fan Methven and his underling Scott should re visit the notion of the wisdom of crowds and learn from Luis Campos.
    Obsessed 
    Are you making some kind of reasonable point, or a comment about me personally?
    If you are making a disparaging remark about me, then you are not interested in explaining yourself but simply throwing out rather inaccurate adjectives.
    Are you doing that as an act of self comfort or in a desperate attempt to feel superior?
    You don’t know me or my obsessions, nor do I know you and your obsessions, the difference between us is that I refrain from slinging out personal adjectives in your direction.
    Crack on.
    Think it's just that you made up a kind of evil villain scenario in your post (sort of - that Andy Scott is to Charlie Methven what Waylon Smithers is to Mr Burns), and continued that you think Methven has used Scott to secretly go behind the majority of the fan's back, to make an out of contract player leave because basically, he's an Oxford supporter, so that'll trump the fact that he needs to get a any return for the investors he's personally got on board. 

It doesn't make any sense mate.
    Thank you for your developed perspective.
    I don’t agree with all of what you say, but a lot of it.
    You may be interested to know that I am not the only poster pointing fingers at Andy Scott, if you read this thread back you will see that to be true.
    What I am doing is suggesting that the Methven/Scott management of Charlton Athletic is welded. I was at the U21 game last week, and was wondering why Methven, reportedly a sleeping distant mere shareholder was there.
    I also wonder why Methven is here when he seemingly has no personal affiliation with the club as I and many others do. 
    I don’t see any secrecy in the Dobson affair by the way, simply poor judgement and incompetence.
    If George Dobson comes out and says it is his lifelong ambition to play in Hungary, and it was an offer he couldn’t refuse, and Methven and Scott moved heaven and earth to try to persuade him to stay then I will probably see things differently.
    Incidentally I don’t see Dobson leaving as a return for ‘investors’, unless a cost cutting measure is a return.
    I hope what I have written makes some kind of sense to you.
    Like him or not, he’s a businessman, and clearly likes being involved in football clubs, I see nothing strange about a shareholder of the club (no matter how small compared to the main GFP in investors) being at one of our U21 games. The guy can’t win with you, if he was completely missing from every aspect of the club on any level on match days, I’m sure you’d criticise that too.
    We get it, you don’t like him, he and many other club employees or shareholders in the past or future will not have had any affiliation with us

If Methven delivers promotion and a balance sheet in the black in the next 12 months I will like him.
  • Options
    IF Dobson was going, do you really think he would be anywhere near the first team selection now we are out of danger of relegation, if we were ever really in it that is...
    Dobson is going nowhere next year, and will be signing an extension with us soon as season is over, probably for 2 years + 1 optional...
    This thread is amazing in it's sustainability...🙄
    Even if he is going, why wouldn't be play him?

After all if you have someone really good on  loan for you (like a Rak-Sakyi) you don't leave them out from the final games of the season because they won't be with you next season.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

It’s as binding as any contract in football is. Charlton could buy any player who is under contract so long as a fee was agreed with the team that has the players registration and a contract is agreed with the player themselves. That’s what we would have to do in order to keep Dobson at Charlton. 
    I know, the other fella is talking like absolutely nothing can be done to change things
    Have you seen the contract then Stu? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    DA9 said:
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Unravelling the Dobson thing is beginning to sound like too much aggro, and in the end Methven (who I think runs the club) will wash his hands of it and allow Dobson to depart even if Dobson wishes to stay, and we can all see he is one of our best players.
    Methven may well bounce responsibility to Andy Scott, and there may be some truth in that sharing of responsibility for incompetence. 
    Personally I want Dobbo to stay, and for once I believe I am part of the majority.
    Oxford fan Methven and his underling Scott should re visit the notion of the wisdom of crowds and learn from Luis Campos.
    Obsessed 
    Are you making some kind of reasonable point, or a comment about me personally?
    If you are making a disparaging remark about me, then you are not interested in explaining yourself but simply throwing out rather inaccurate adjectives.
    Are you doing that as an act of self comfort or in a desperate attempt to feel superior?
    You don’t know me or my obsessions, nor do I know you and your obsessions, the difference between us is that I refrain from slinging out personal adjectives in your direction.
    Crack on.
    Think it's just that you made up a kind of evil villain scenario in your post (sort of - that Andy Scott is to Charlie Methven what Waylon Smithers is to Mr Burns), and continued that you think Methven has used Scott to secretly go behind the majority of the fan's back, to make an out of contract player leave because basically, he's an Oxford supporter, so that'll trump the fact that he needs to get a any return for the investors he's personally got on board. 

It doesn't make any sense mate.
    Thank you for your developed perspective.
    I don’t agree with all of what you say, but a lot of it.
    You may be interested to know that I am not the only poster pointing fingers at Andy Scott, if you read this thread back you will see that to be true.
    What I am doing is suggesting that the Methven/Scott management of Charlton Athletic is welded. I was at the U21 game last week, and was wondering why Methven, reportedly a sleeping distant mere shareholder was there.
    I also wonder why Methven is here when he seemingly has no personal affiliation with the club as I and many others do. 
    I don’t see any secrecy in the Dobson affair by the way, simply poor judgement and incompetence.
    If George Dobson comes out and says it is his lifelong ambition to play in Hungary, and it was an offer he couldn’t refuse, and Methven and Scott moved heaven and earth to try to persuade him to stay then I will probably see things differently.
    Incidentally I don’t see Dobson leaving as a return for ‘investors’, unless a cost cutting measure is a return.
    I hope what I have written makes some kind of sense to you.
    Like him or not, he’s a businessman, and clearly likes being involved in football clubs, I see nothing strange about a shareholder of the club (no matter how small compared to the main GFP in investors) being at one of our U21 games. The guy can’t win with you, if he was completely missing from every aspect of the club on any level on match days, I’m sure you’d criticise that too.
    We get it, you don’t like him, he and many other club employees or shareholders in the past or future will not have had any affiliation with us

If Methven delivers promotion and a balance sheet in the black in the next 12 months I will like him.
    Methven has far less to do with Charlton than often made out. And delivering promotion and break-even is impossible no matter who is calling the shots.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I talked with member of the club about the contract, and he know all of the content, and he told me it is Binding for both party. Binding for Dobbo, and also binding for Videoton. If Dobbo breaks his leg at his final game at Charlton, we have to pay his salary after 1th of July.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Was standing next to his old man Saturday, asked him if there is any chance of him staying. He said Jones wants him to stay so let’s see.
    I suspect the fact we are now safe and Jones is not only playing Dobson but still has him leading the team as captain speaks a thousand words.

If Dobson also carries on playing the last 2 games as captain I strongly suspect something will happen behind the scenes before long. 
    He is also going out of his way to praise him in interviews. 
    Not sure about that. He's being asked about him in virtually every interview, he's hardly going to say "no I think Dobson's crap". 

The post-match interview yesterday he singled out Dobson for his quality. He has said a few times now people see him as a defensive midfielder, and he has said he has more quality than that.

May be nothing just seems to me he is making a point to either those above or Dobson himself.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I don’t need to, it’s a very standard contract within football, the idea that this would be some unique exception is utter madness. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    1. No 
    3. Irrelevant 
    6. irrelevant 
    Has his passport got at least 6 months on it before it expires? 😁😁😁
    Normal ID enough at the EU, no need passport.
    At Hungary the driving licence is also enough, but maybe for the hungarian people.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I don’t need to, it’s a very standard contract within football, the idea that this would be some unique exception is utter madness. 
    Okay 👍 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

The other thing is that, Dobson's transfer fee, with only half year left from his contract, was around between 300-500K EUR. As I heard the first several offer declined, but the final one accepted by Charlton(Scott). In this case the contract lenght will be 3 years, so the transfer fee will be much more higher than that Charlton could had received at February. 
    Jones had kept Dobbo for half year, and avoid the relegation, and a same time Charlton lost the transfer fee.
    At the other hand, Charlton lose Dobbo for nothing, or have to pay much more higher to keep him.  
    How much do you think his transfer value would be if he refused to play in Hungary?
  • Options
    If he stays and a fee is paid to the Hungarians then George should pay it. He's ballsed up, his mess, he can sort it out.
    We were pretty obviously pushing him out of the door at the time.  Jones coming in changed that.

I think it was a weird choice to not wait until the summer and see what offers he got, but he wasn't forcing a move etc.

It was our mess.
    Pushing, not pushed. He could have done a Clarke Harris and waited until the summer