Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray: My regret at Charlton exit

2»

Comments

• Options
    How dare he negotiate his salary, the nerve of the man...

My take on this is that he's entitled to negotiate whatever salary he likes and perhaps knowing that he wanted to move up north Barnsley offered him something that was below what he was currently earning on the basis that they had a player who they knew wanted to leave Charlton. This is likely to be his last decent contract - his next move will either be down the leagues or into retirement, in those circumstances I don't blame him for negotiating a little harder than some here would like and I sense that Barnsley were trying to take advantage of the situation a bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]How dare he negotiate his salary, the nerve of the man...

My take on this is that he's entitled to negotiate whatever salary he likes and perhaps knowing that he wanted to move up north Barnsley offered him something that was below what he was currently earning on the basis that they had a player who they knew wanted to leave Charlton. This is likely to be his last decent contract - his next move will either be down the leagues or into retirement, in those circumstances I don't blame him for negotiating a little harder than some here would like and I sense that Barnsley were trying to take advantage of the situation a bit.

well said.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with negotiating the best deal for himself, BFR. But if that's what was holding up the deal then it's unfair that some people have accused charlton of being hearltess and blocking the move.

This is about the third thread we have on this topic and it's all full of baseless guesswork. It's an emotional subject given Gray's family situation and speculating is unfair on those involved, imo.
  • Options
    BBC best comments yet

[cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]It's an emotional subject given Gray's family situation and speculating is unfair on those involved, imo.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]There's nothing wrong with negotiating the best deal for himself, BFR. But[u]if[/u]that's what was holding up the deal then it's unfair that some people have accused charlton of being hearltess and blocking the move.

This is about the third thread we have on this topic and it's all full of baseless guesswork. It's an emotional subject given Gray's family situation and speculating is unfair on those involved, imo.[/quote]

As always we can only guess and work out what is happening by reading between the lines.

Barnsley knew that the player wanted to leave and that Charlton wanted to sell - here you have a buyer's market and although I'm guessing they put in a low offer based on the hope that that Charlton would in desparation say yes and that the player would also accept it in his desire to get back up north. In such circumstances I respect andy Gray for saying no to a deal that he thought wasn't right, I appreciate that to some people that comes across as mucking the club about, but I'd ask myself - what would I do in such a situation? And to answer that I wouldn't be afriad to say "No", it's a very effective word in negotiation.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]Butifthat's what was holding up the deal then it's unfair that some people have accused charlton of being hearltess and blocking the move.
    That's the crux of it, in my opinion. No judgement personally on Gray or those involved in the negotiations. Just showing that nigel's original post was quite harsh in slating the Club for being heartless in not letting Gray go. And that is where Brunello stepped in with his comment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]There's nothing wrong with negotiating the best deal for himself, BFR. Butifthat's what was holding up the deal then it's unfair that some people have accused charlton of being hearltess and blocking the move.

This is about the third thread we have on this topic and it's all full of baseless guesswork. It's an emotional subject given Gray's family situation and speculating is unfair on those involved, imo.

exactly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]Butifthat's what was holding up the deal then it's unfair that some people have accused charlton of being hearltess and blocking the move.
    That's the crux of it, in my opinion. No judgement personally on Gray or those involved in the negotiations. Just showing that nigel's original post was quite harsh in slating the Club for being heartless in not letting Gray go. And that is where Brunello stepped in with his comment. He would be quite a bit closer to what actually happened than most, in my opinion.

who he then, have I missed something ??
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2009
    The reason the deal dragged out for so long was that Gray's agent was holding out for a 30k one off payment for the move to Barnsley.

Obviously the club wanted to get shot because of the 12.5k p/w wages and the agent knew this so went back and forth trying to get his payment. It got to a point where SW took both Gray and his agent down to the training ground and said "you can have your payment, but you tell me which non-football staff member from the training club you want me to make redundant so we can afford it".

When this was laid on the line, the agent said don't worry and the deal was pushed through. That is straight from the smiling horses mouth.
  • Options
    if andy gray had a brain he should have said 'me' .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HAHA! Brilliant.
  • Options
    whatever mate...why should andy have to fork out? i agree with what barnsley did
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Been in Canterbury watching cricket since last Thursday and just logged on for the first time in almost a week. Can't believe people are still going on about BIG BAD ANDY GRAY, tapping their nose, claiming he demanded this or he demanded that and held a gun to our heads ...or perhaps it wasn't him after all, it was his agent...

Just be glad he's gone! Good news for CAFC, good news for Gray, good news for his family. Probably won't do Barnsley much good. But who gives a flying **** about them?

For the record, all the original post asked was that CAFC did the decent thing after the club had said Barnsley had failed to match our vaulation, and could we please come to a compromise deal. And guess what? Hooray, that's what happened! So let's be happy ...

Due to a hectic cricketing schedule, I've only seen one CAFC game so far this season and I'd much rather read about how well we're doing than people complaining about the evil, money-grabbing scheming (alleged) of some not very good strker we've finally and thankfully managed to off-load (for more than he's worth, IMO)...
  • Options
    Gray comes from a great family with Uncle Eddie our best ever servent and still much involved with all things White. He is a very genuine lad and gave everything for us before being shunted out. Sometimes circumstances are just wrong for a player and yet a barrier exists between the club/players and fans that make us unaware of circumstances that may effect performance. More honesty and realism from everyone would be refreshing.

MOT
  • Options
    I think we are all well aware of his ancestry, and we knew about his ability, he scored a couple of goals for Burnley against us just before he signed but for whatever reason it didn't work out for him at Charlton. To be fair to him he joined at our lowest ebb for many years as a club and quite a few of our players failed to prosper under Pardew's unique man management abilities and of course off the park he had problems. Best of luck to him.
  • Options
    BARNSLEY striker Andy Gray is set for a less stressful Christmas than the one he had last year in what was a winter of discontent, more importantly away from football than on the field of play, when he was at Charlton Athletic.

In October 2008 his wife Georgina, only hours after giving birth to the couple's second child Harry, was diagnosed with a brain tumour that was obviously a far greater cause of concern than the hip problem which was affecting Gray's progress with the Addicks.

"It was a terrible time for us," said the 32-year-old striker. "My injury was of course nothing compared to Georgina's problem, but thankfully she came through it. She still has to have radiation treatment periodically, but she's very well now.

"I had a stress fracture of the hip, one of those injuries that's hard to detect, and I'd been playing all season with it before we knew the full extent of the problem. It meant I never played again from January, and that was very frustrating."

Gray left Charlton, who were relegated to Coca-Cola League 1 at the end of last term, for Barnsley during the August transfer window. And that meant a return to his Yorkshire roots as well as an immediate climb back up to the Championship.

"It was a combination of things that led to the move," said Gray, "but it certainly wasn't because I was unhappy at Charlton. I enjoyed my time there and as a family we enjoyed living in London, but it was good to get back home.

"I'm from Harrogate and Georgina's from further north, so it was a good move for us. I also knew a number of the Barnsley lads so settling in at the club wasn't a problem, although the manager was sacked a week after I arrived and that was a bit of a shock."
  • Options
    Probably pass you on the way up Andy!
  • Options
    Was not Grays fault, Pardew paid so much for him. Wish him all the best. Imo Barnsley will be fine this season and hopefully we will be playing them next year in The Champ, I won't boo Gray unlike a few other ex CAFC players who'll be in the Champ as well (Ambrose, M Bent)
  • Options
    He was a daft signing for a silly amount but that wasn't his fault and despite his unsuccessful spell with us he has never had anything bad to say about us.

I wouldn't boo him
  • Options
    I wouldn't boo him, but he was bloody useless for us. Didn't exactly make up for it with effort, either.