Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The accounts suggest that we sell more than buy.
    If Dobson goes how do we buy a player of similar calibre?
    The closest in style already at the club is young Kedwell who is nowhere near ready.
    Bakinson if he signed on a free isn’t a replacement, nor are Taylor or Coventry. Dobson leaving will need a decisive re adjustment in our style in order to play the cards we are left with.
    I will be very surprised if we spend significant money on a Dobson replacement.
    Coventry is/was Dobbo's replacement. 
    I don’t see much similarity. I am not writing Coventry off, but he is no Dobson as far as I can tell, beyond playing in the midfield. From what I have seen Coventry and Taylor are similar, but not Coventry and Dobson.
  • Options
    From the rudimentary look I've had at the income tax situation and making the assumption GD is on an annual income of £300k there seems to be a differential tax rate which favours Hungary by some 10% (UK income tax + NI @ 43.5% and Hungary income tax + social contribution @ 33.5%). Their other taxes related to property etc. also look a lot lower. Perhaps there there are also funky accounting ways (offshore, dividends?) of reducing his tax burden too so I'm thinking he must come out of the other end of a 3 year contract in Hungary with a healthy 6-figure amount of money compared to staying in the UK?
    Also, I can't see why the pre-contract whatever form it takes would preclude a signing-on bonus from the Hungarians as he'd be deemed a free agent?
    I'm also guessing his 'celebrity' profile would be much higher there than if he stayed in the UK? If this is true surely his agent would be able to use this to generate additional revenue?

'Buying' him back may be expensive chunks of NJ's summer transfer and operating budget?
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Chizz said:
    Just for background interest, can anyone think of any current British professionals who currently or in their career spent at least a season in the Czech,  Slovak,  Polish or Hungarian leagues? I can think of only one, Jamie Lawrence, the Welsh international defender, who spent a couple of seasons with AS Trencin in Slovakia.  As it happens I know his Dad, so I know Jamie is far from a typical Brit, partly raised in Amsterdam and a product of the Ajax academy. I don’t know of any others at all.

I was watching my Czech team, Viktoria Plzen, last night against Fiorentina in the Conference. Right now Viktoria are pretty much at the same level in their league as Videoton in theirs. 10 of their starting XI last night are Czechs. The other is Brazilian but played his entire pro career in CZ. On the bench all Czechs too apart from one from Ivory Coast. 

I hesitate to draw any specific conclusion from it, other than that it underlines how very unusual -possibly unique-  it is for a British player to make a move to a club in one of these countries. Possibly, just possibly, Videoton might be looking at the fuss and noise around this and thinking, sod it, lets do a deal and back out of this. 
    Hungary 
    • Ex Charlton loanee Nathan Ecclestone went to Békéscsaba in 2016. 
    • James Ashmore (ex Sheff United) signed for Ferencváros in 2010.
    • Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill (ex Arsenal and Swindon) ended up at Puskás Akadémia FC.
    • Rohan Ricketts (ex Arsenal and Spurs!) has played just about everywhere.
    • Paul Shaw (ex Arsenal, M*llwank, Gillingham) went to Ferencváros in 2008.
    • Sam Stockley (journeyman) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
    • Tony Stokes went from West Ham to Ujpest. 
    • James Weir (ex ManUre) went to MTK Budapest.  
    • Tommy "Tommy" Doherty (not that one) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
    Poland
    • Cameron Borthwick-Jackson – Śląsk Wrocław (2023)
    • Tom Hateley – Śląsk Wrocław (2014-2016), Piast Gliwice (2018-)
    • Eddie Stanford – Legia Warsaw (2004)
    • D'sean Theobalds – Korona Kielce (2020)
    • Rashid Yussuff – Arka Gdynia (2016) 
    Romania 
    • Mark Burke – Rapid București – 2001–2002
      • Shayon Harrison – Politehnica Iași – 2023–
      • Ross Jenkins – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2015–2016
      • Wilson Kneeshaw – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2013–2014
      • Jeffrey Monakana – FC Voluntari – 2015–2016
      • Jordan Mustoe – Dinamo București – 2018–2019
      • Jordan Robertson – Gaz Metan Mediaș – 2013–2014 
      Alright!! But apart from all those listed, can anyone think of a British player who has gone to play football in the Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hugarian or Romanian leagues?

ps no googling tihs time!
      Pretty sure Andre Green went to Slovakia

Edit: I checked. He did, Slovan Bratislava 
    • Options
      seth plum said:
      seth plum said:
      The accounts suggest that we sell more than buy.
      If Dobson goes how do we buy a player of similar calibre?
      The closest in style already at the club is young Kedwell who is nowhere near ready.
      Bakinson if he signed on a free isn’t a replacement, nor are Taylor or Coventry. Dobson leaving will need a decisive re adjustment in our style in order to play the cards we are left with.
      I will be very surprised if we spend significant money on a Dobson replacement.
      Coventry is/was Dobbo's replacement. 
      I don’t see much similarity. I am not writing Coventry off, but he is no Dobson as far as I can tell, beyond playing in the midfield. From what I have seen Coventry and Taylor are similar, but not Coventry and Dobson.
      Unless you're andy scott
    • Options
      From the rudimentary look I've had at the income tax situation and making the assumption GD is on an annual income of £300k there seems to be a differential tax rate which favours Hungary by some 10% (UK income tax + NI @ 43.5% and Hungary income tax + social contribution @ 33.5%). Their other taxes related to property etc. also look a lot lower. Perhaps there there are also funky accounting ways (offshore, dividends?) of reducing his tax burden too so I'm thinking he must come out of the other end of a 3 year contract in Hungary with a healthy 6-figure amount of money compared to staying in the UK?
      Also, I can't see why the pre-contract whatever form it takes would preclude a signing-on bonus from the Hungarians as he'd be deemed a free agent?
      I'm also guessing his 'celebrity' profile would be much higher there than if he stayed in the UK? If this is true surely his agent would be able to use this to generate additional revenue?

'Buying' him back may be expensive chunks of NJ's summer transfer and operating budget?
      The tax rate for the futball player much more lower. He can kepp more than 80% of his salary. 
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      Chizz said:
      Just for background interest, can anyone think of any current British professionals who currently or in their career spent at least a season in the Czech,  Slovak,  Polish or Hungarian leagues? I can think of only one, Jamie Lawrence, the Welsh international defender, who spent a couple of seasons with AS Trencin in Slovakia.  As it happens I know his Dad, so I know Jamie is far from a typical Brit, partly raised in Amsterdam and a product of the Ajax academy. I don’t know of any others at all.

I was watching my Czech team, Viktoria Plzen, last night against Fiorentina in the Conference. Right now Viktoria are pretty much at the same level in their league as Videoton in theirs. 10 of their starting XI last night are Czechs. The other is Brazilian but played his entire pro career in CZ. On the bench all Czechs too apart from one from Ivory Coast. 

I hesitate to draw any specific conclusion from it, other than that it underlines how very unusual -possibly unique-  it is for a British player to make a move to a club in one of these countries. Possibly, just possibly, Videoton might be looking at the fuss and noise around this and thinking, sod it, lets do a deal and back out of this. 
      Hungary 
      • Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill (ex Arsenal and Swindon) ended up at Puskás Akadémia FC.
      Poland
      Romania 
        Alright!! But apart from all those listed, can anyone think of a British player who has gone to play football in the Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hugarian or Romanian leagues?

Chizz said:

Hungary 
        Poland
        Romania 

Matthew Lowton ferencvaros 2009

• Options
          Chizz said:

Hungary 
          Poland
          Romania 

Romania I think 
          • Options

The tax rate for the futball player much more lower. He can kepp more than 80% of his salary. 

...😴
          • Options
            Chizz said:

Hungary 
            Poland
            Romania 

Romania I think 
              Slovan Bratislava in Slovakia.
            • Options
              I'm sure that @Vjacheslav is just passing on what he has been told, so thank you for sharing.

However, let's just pause for a second, because no one actually knows what that outcome is going to be. I'm sure come July 1st there will be lots of people saying "I told you so", but the only person who knows what the outcome is going to be is George Dobson and he may not even know himself yet.

We can bat this back and forth and go around in circles until July. George Dobson may have his heart set on new adventures in Hungary, maybe his wife is Hungarian? Or maybe George has changed his mind and will tell the Hungarians he doesn't want to come. I think it's highly unlikely they will want to spend money on a player who is going to be unhappy and unmotivated. Then again, it could be something completely different and he may end up at a different club.

Let's try and enjoy what is left of the season, sure it's been one to forget, but for what it's worth I think we'll get a clean-sheet win against Shrewsbury and maybe if we're lucky a comfortable 4 - 0 win!
            • Sponsored links:

• Options
              edited April 16
              Quite right Vjacheslav and I can't work out why people keep saying the same things over and over again for weeks on end.
              The discussion has been.

The contract is legally binding and nothing can be done, FACT

vrs

Something may be able to be done (like pay some dough to get out of it for example) and the Club (Us) might be considering if its worth it.

I think some of it may have been a little lost in translation, but also think now most are agreed there's probably is a get out claus with a financial forfeit, but no one knows how much it is.

Can't personally see the problem with talking about the future of the clubs Captain on the biggest supporters forum. It's all been quite civil
            • Options
              edited April 16
              This discussion has been closed...😉
            • Options
              All been very civil but now getting seriously tedious. He will stay or he will go. We will find out soon enough.
              Do the same on the match thread. We might win, we might lose, we'll probably draw. Find out after 90+ minutes

😉 
            • Options
              edited April 16

• Options
              Good luck to Dobson, I wish him the very best with his transfer, but let's move on. I'm a born optimist, I like to think we'll invest over the summer to the point where we don't miss him at all.

As much as he puts a shift in, and he's a decent league one player, I wouldn't call Dobson promotion-winning quality. I also don't see him as captain material - he's not the sort to go ballistic at or inspire his teammates and drive them on to victory.