Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Man U goal last night

Fook all to do with CAFC I know but I just HAVE to get this off me chest...

FWIW, I thought the decision to allow Man U's goal last night was absolutely shocking.

The ghastly horribly biased Andy Townsend said that, looking at a replay of the incident it was clear that the referee walking away from the ball was the signal to restart play. What complete cobblers - nowhere in the laws of the game does it say that the referee turning around and walking away from the ball is a signal to restart play, the only recognised way to signal a restart in play is a blow on the whistle.

Nothing wrong with quick free kicks, our refs have developed the means to communicate whether or not they're going on the whistle and it works well, with the ref clearly communicating to both teams, but that situation last night was a joke - play had stopped completely to the point where a quick free kick was never on the cards, in such situations it has to be an on-the-whistle job.

I'm very much pro-Man U in European competition as I think they and Liverpool are the only English clubs with true European pedigree and class, but I was embarassed to be associated with that carve-up last night. Almost as much as I was in ITV for the disgracefully biased way they (ok, just Andy Townsend) dealt with it - had the boot been on the other foot they would've been screaming blue murder.

Rant over

Comments

• Just one thing you've said that isn't correct. The referee doesn't have to restart the match with a blow of the whistle. Agree with everything else though CFW. Totally agree the taking of quick free kick remains a grey area.
  • although i don't think man u wouldn't have gone so far as to pull players off, i thought it was hilarious that fergie deemed it ok to slate the players for crowding the referee.

if that free kick had been against them, they would have said something about it. ok, it wouldn't have kicked off quite so badly, but they probably would have had a whinge.

arse and man u are the worst for surrounding the ref when a decision goes against them. cue that pic of keown rising up like some kinda monster
  • edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Just one thing you've said that isn't correct. The referee doesn't have to restart the match with a blow of the whistle. Agree with everything else though CFW. Totally agree the taking of quick free kick remains a grey area.

Quite right, he doesn't have to, in fact a good ref won't blow every time the ball goes in and out. My two points of objection are with the ref for his inept handling of the situation (IMO it really was a situation where play had to be restarted with a blow of the whistle) and for Andy Townsend for his attempted justification of a poor, poor decision when, if it had gone the other way he'd be doing the complete opposite.
  • CFW - a great rant and one that I totally agree with. This rule is always a problem - if the foul takes place in the middle of the pitch, players are urged to get on with it, but if it's near the goal and they score, they are pariahs taking advantage of the fact that the opposition isn't ready. Perhaps players should wait for the whistle regardless? Also, the ref can talk to the taker of the free kick about it, but is under no obligation to inform the captain or players of the other team...seems a bit strange to me.

IMHO I thought this was a pretty cheap effort by Giggs - not against the rules, but not exactly sporting. OK they won, but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite] cue that pic of keown rising up like some kinda monster[/quote]
  • Has Keown got 666 tatooed on his head?
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite] cue that pic of keown rising up like some kinda monster
    [div class=Attachments id=Attachments_52419][ul][div]kewon.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

i loved that tho, i hated that horse faced no mark! look how he is bricking it!!! lol muppett
  • If a team has been fouled then they should have every advantage in their favour.
  • its a rubbish rule that needs changing. If its a direct attempt at goal, the kick should not be taken before the ref has blown his whistle, that's all that needs to be changed.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

arse and man u are the worst for surrounding the ref when a decision goes against them. cue that pic of keown rising up like some kinda monster

Talking of Arsenal did anyone see Wengers comments moaning that he knew PSV would be defensive and how they set out for a 0-0. Funny how they won the game then. So why didn't you counter that then Arsene. Do you expect teams to try and play perfect football and carve you apart cos they won't cos they know they'll get ripped apart on the break. Deal with it and stop your whining, first Fabregas last weekend and now Wenger!
  • Sponsored links:

• It may be regarded as a cheap goal, but as far as I see it no matter who is playing if you have given a free kick away you have stopped the other team from gaining ground or some sort of advantage, therefore if you cannot organise a wall or have not put someone fairly close to the ball to stop it being taken early moreful you. Charlton do not concede crap goals like that because we put someone behind the free kick taker so the goalkeeper is not lining up the wall & does not get caught out. Advantage to the attacking team in my opinion.
  • Agree with most points - but if the referee has clearly stopped the game then he has to CLEARLY restart it.
    No grey areas.
  • Great letter on football 365...

"I'll never understand why goalkeepers hug a post whilst they line the defensive wall up?

If they want to do it properly they should do as golfers do. Pace out the distance, look from both sides of the ball and the target - maybe have their captain accompany them, as a golfer might a caddy. Only when they are fully satisfied the defensive wall is in the optimum place with no gaps and all their players are behind the ball then a free kick can be taken.

We don't want the attacking team whose initiative has been thwarted by a mistimed tackling or, as commonly, bad sportmanship getting an advantage now, do we?"

To be honest i agree with him, if you want to take it quickly then where is the problem, the ref and player had a conversation, the ref moved away from the ball and faced the goal Giggs scored... where is the problem?
  • just stand someone on the ball, and take the card if needs be.

the attacking team has the advantage, so no sympathy for Lille