Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New State-of-the-art Pitch at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea on costs of this but if an annual spend on the relaying the pitch is as Seth says around £1 million then what are the annual ongoing costs of this new pitch ? 
    As usual, he's wrong
  • Options
    edited April 26
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:
    Ownership contribution is somewhere between £500-750k 
    'Six figure', so minumum £100,000.
    Total cost was said to be £1.2m so £450,000.

The £750k is on the proviso that the women's play there for at least ten years.

This was looked at under the previous regime but it didn't happen but that was Tony Keohane penny pinching.

Good news for both first teams and the club in general.

Even though there is a sizable grant it is still a  big outlay by the club owners who are only renting.

Yes, we also need better women and men to play on the pitch but why invest in better players and not give them the best possible facilities on which to suceed?

Even a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.
     What's the latest on moanie Tony?
    His LinkedIn seems to suggest he's still here?

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

This was looked at under the previous regime but it didn't happen but that was Tony Keohane penny pinching.

Even though there is a sizable grant it is still a  big outlay by the club owners who are only renting.

Yes, we also need better women and men to play on the pitch but why invest in better players and not give them the best possible facilities on which to suceed?

What's the latest on moanie Tony?
    His LinkedIn seems to suggest he's still here?

Gardening leave, presumably not working his notice
  • Options
    so this money will go towards the monthly £10m cost of relaying the pitch
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Connected to this is the restructuring of the women's game.

The super league and championship are now one entity and the rumour was that the WSL might expand.

This might open a back door (oh er missus!) method of promotion for Charlton Women.

While the pitch upgrade is valid and desirable regardless, Oakwood would not be of a high enough standard which ever division we play in so something had to happen.

While the overheads of staging a game in SE7 are higher it is more prestigous and there is more potential for bigger gates.

You might also see new, local fans that visit the Valley for the first time for a CAWFC game realising the ground is a safe and welcoming place and then return for a mens match.
    A WSL expansion to 14 or 16 teams would be excellent and much needed IMO.

Twelve teams with one up, one down is not good enough for how fast the interest has grown.
  • Options
    I'm trying to find a way to be negative about this. I will get back to you all.
    They didn’t choose the version with extra hamstring protection?😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 26
    So Charlie boy lands the FA grant based on the women’s team getting to play on the pitch but a few days ago he was musing about axing the women’s team. I think I can see where he’s going with this.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Solidgone said:
    I’m sure the away team will enjoy playing on the state of the art pitch too…unfortunately.
    This.

Nathan Jones was moaning lately about the pitches at Fleetwood & Cambridge (too dry & bumpy) and that was the reason why we didn't win.

Now we are going all out to help our opponents play on a lovely surface. Numpties.... :D
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Anyone know if this type of pitch is likely to have any impact on our annual injury list?  I think in the past plastic pitches were seen as often being responsible for more injuries but with this latest mixed version would I be right in thinking the surface is about as true as you can get so maybe players would be less likely to be injured?  Maybe there is simply no difference?
  • Options
    Nothing to celebrate, word will get around among the local pigeon community, and more of the fuckers will be lording it around on the pitch in search of these premium seeds. 

These lot can't get anything right.
    Ah, but they're gonna choke on the plastic bits.
  • Options
    I have no idea on costs of this but if an annual spend on the relaying the pitch is as Seth says around £1 million then what are the annual ongoing costs of this new pitch ? 
    As usual, he's wrong
    How much is the ‘usual’ annual spend then?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

Sorry I may have missed this. Where is the £1.2m quoted?
  • Options
    As usual, he's wrong
    Hard to say as Keohane cut so many corners to try and impress Sandgaard.

A repair might be under 100k, a full relay £150k to 200k, IIRC but  it depends on exactly what is needed and what is done.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

In my post😉

That was the figure i heard last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

In my post😉

That was the figure i heard last season
    So if we assume your figures are accurate the £450k investment is potentially ‘reduced’ to £250k if a spend of £200k may have been baked into the annual budget / forecast already?

Regardless I remain a little surprised the extra investment is not given more profile in the article if indeed more than £100k. 

Any insight on whether this does also provide under soil heating as I don’t get why this isn’t quoted. 

It’s all good news to promote in my mind. 
  • Options
    As usual, he's wrong
    Hard to say as Keohane cut so many corners to try and impress Sandgaard.

A repair might be under 100k, a full relay £150k to 200k, IIRC but  it depends on exactly what is needed and what is done.
    From memory without checking with Nathan, 150k got you a full pitch overhaul (not a new pitch) with a maintenance package over three years for issues over and above the normal cutting/divoting etc. 
    The cheapest option of 35k which was the basic package of we’ll cut/roll/seed etc, if it goes tits up you’re on your own. 
    There was a middle package, but no memory of what that was.
    Burger boy presented the cheaper option to TS on his crusade, I was present when Nathan presented his chosen option (3year deal) as a qualified groundsman in a folder as thick your arm. 
    TS words were, why have I never seen this?
    “With the current issues with the pitch, I was only aware of the costings (35k) not the options”

• Options
    Wonder how much input technical director Andy Scott will have had on this…
    He's bringing in the corner flag areas of turf from the Man city academy on loan and singed a pre contract with a Hungarian side to send them our best piece of grass.

• Options
    What’s not to like about this. 
    I'm sure someone will find something to moan about.
  • Options
    This is a really good move - shows genuine commitment to playing at The Valley long term and excellent for the women’s team. On my last time there to see them play it was so heartening to see such a mixed crowd - many local families and much more mixed than the usual crowd at men’s matches. It’s a great potential gateway for the community in the immediate vicinity to get along to their local football club. And over time that will both help to build overall support for Charlton as a whole and also improve diversity. Winning helps too of course!
  • Options
    This is a very positive move. It looks as though the people who say the owners are only here to 'flip' the club as soon as possible, will be disappointed that some long term investments are being made. Transfer business to start next month I would guess, to try and get NJ's squad together as early as possible.
    Looking forward to next season!
    I doubt it as those people were fans of the club who were worried about the motives of our new owners. If the new owners make sound, long term investments and improve the club I would imagine those fans will be delighted that they are proved wrong.
  • Options
    What’s not to like about this. 
    I'm sure someone will find something to moan about.

Nope, nobody has had a single moan.  Ironically yours is probably the least positive post on here. 🤣
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Sounds good. The current pitch seemed to hold up well but if this will allow us to get more use out of it and allow the women’s team to play at our actual stadium then we’re on to a winner.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Rothko said:

As far as I'm aware it was Louise McGinn, the general manager of the women's team, who lined up the grant for the work.