Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 27th April 2024 | KO 12.30

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Alfie May League One top scorer (again).
    Jones is not keen on him , madness 
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

I hope we are just over thinking this and May is a first pick next season.
    It’s a team game and if that’s what Jones wants to do then we’ll have to trust him.

I’ll swap having the golden boot winner for a competent team that can win games on a regular basis in a heartbeat.
    It would be total fucking madness to get rid of May. 
    We just finished 16th in League One. Nothing should be off the table at this moment in time.
    If we hadn't signed Alfie May we'd have finished a lot lower than that
    You’re right. But that doesn’t change anything, nothing should be off the table if we want to buy in to what Nathan Jones wants to build.

Is there a reason why Alfie keeps scoring lots of goals but his teams finished 15th, 16th and 16th in this league?
    Can you suggest a reason? 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Season mark  for Nathan Jones. 5 out of 10. 
    I so jury still out for me on his management.
    What was your mark for Appleton, mine was 1 out of 10!
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Mibe would be 3 out of 10
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Worryingly, Curbs seems to agree with you. He reckons Jones likes big powerful players and maybe doesn't see May as his type of player.

And Brownie chipped in and said it wasn't great tje way Jones kept taking him off.

It’s a team game and if that’s what Jones wants to do then we’ll have to trust him.

I’ll swap having the golden boot winner for a competent team that can win games on a regular basis in a heartbeat.
    We just finished 16th in League One. Nothing should be off the table at this moment in time.
    You’re right. But that doesn’t change anything, nothing should be off the table if we want to buy in to what Nathan Jones wants to build.

Is there a reason why Alfie keeps scoring lots of goals but his teams finished 15th, 16th and 16th in this league?
    possibly because hes playing for shit teams.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:

Nope, I don’t have any suggestions. You’d think having a goalscorer would be a good thing but it doesn’t always equal success and that can be for a lot of reasons. I’ll leave that up to the people whose job it is to figure out.

My point is if we are a serious football club in any shape or form, everyone’s place in the team should be in question. That includes May who is my current favourite player. 
  • Options

• Options
    msomerton said:
    Yet his win percentage with us is higher than Jones's. I remember people piling scorn on Appleton for having such a low win ratio. That's not to say that I don't think Jones is a better manager and he's had less defeats obviously, but people claimed Appleton was a fraud and that whoever appointed him should be fired and that both shouldn't be allowed to work in football again.

Anyway, in the old points predictions, was anyone a winner on 53?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NJ post match intv is an interesting watch. Particularly around Alfie May. ‘Those three players weren’t contributing’
    Is there a chance he gets rid? 

• Options
    Scott just confirmed CATV will return next year for international viewers...unsure of the format at the moment, but will be confirmed "in due course"...so we shall see where this all ends up soon hopefully...🤔
    I wonder what the numbers are on CATV for international viewers only? I’d imagine not enough financially to support the current format. Guess it will just be the actual match next season and nothing else.
  • Options
    edited April 27
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    LoOkOuT said:

Nope, I don’t have any suggestions. You’d think having a goalscorer would be a good thing but it doesn’t always equal success and that can be for a lot of reasons. I’ll leave that up to the people whose job it is to figure out.

My point is if we are a serious football club in any shape or form, everyone’s place in the team should be in question. That includes May who is my current favourite player. 
    I think there's often not much correlation between an individual player's high performance and a team's underperformance. 
  • Options
    Scott just confirmed CATV will return next year for international viewers...unsure of the format at the moment, but will be confirmed "in due course"...so we shall see where this all ends up soon hopefully...🤔
    I wonder what the numbers are on CATV for international viewers only? I’d imagine not enough financially to support the current format. Guess it will just be the actual match next season and nothing else.
    Add in VPN's and who knows, could be a lot...
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    NJ post match intv is an interesting watch. Particularly around Alfie May. ‘Those three players weren’t contributing’

I don’t read that as them not contributing ever - it’s that game. I didn’t see Alfie contribute anything, so why leave him on. I think he knows what Alfie can do, but he wants to see more consistency. He’ll still be here next season. 
  • Options
    edited April 27
    msomerton said:
    Anyone else agree with this, I bet there's more than one?
    Who do you think we should replace Jones with?
  • Options
    It’s already international only for the majority of games - if there’s a service going, people will still be able to use VPNs to watch games in the U.K.

I don’t expect the financial support (in terms of fans buying streams) for Charlton TV to decline that much from this season to next season.
  • Options
    What was the point of playing lua lua ? 
    What was the point of playing hector and thomas, both who aren’t going to be here?  
    What is with bringing off May early? 
    Why bother putting in fiorini for one game? 
    What’s the point of bakinson? 

So many strange decisions and choices by Nathan jones. 
    It's pretty clear Jones decided to start May, the wing backs and a load of chuff.
    The reason is not clear.
    In Jones I trust.
    To leave the new owners in no doubt that we need to sign a lot of quality players this summer ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 27
    msomerton said:
    7/10 from me, maybe even 8/10 but that feels too generous.

First and foremost he was hired to help us avoid relegation

The confidence around the players, and on here was at a ridiculous low not just after Northampton, but after the 1-1 draw with Lincoln too.

He's not had a single Transfer Window as yet, but you can argue two of our better players of late (Ramsay and Small) were signed on his requirement. Recent games have been poor, but that's mostly been the case since safety was assured - Players have been on their Holidays.

Too many short memories, if they agree with that low rating.
  • Options
    Honestly couldn’t believe fans clapping them off at the end. Absolute fucking disgrace, the lot of them.
    Well I was more clapping Dobson tbh as I think he's earned that.

But agree with the sentiment though, we need a lot of investment this summer.
  • Options
    I guess it depends how they police it. As I understand it, all Charlton fans live abroad on alternate Saturdays anyway, so it might not make much difference. However I expect that the new owners of broadcast rights might be a little more concerned than UEFA that screening boundaries are adhered to. If the club have to prove in some way that only fans outside of the UK have access (e.g. demanding an overseas address or not accepting British bank details), then there may not be enough people who can jump the necessary hoops to make the current format viable.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Getting rid of our top scorer, I'll be amazed if that happens.
  • Options
    Nearly wavered and bought myself a season ticket the other day. Can't quite bring myself to do it. 
    Lots of talk about how good things will be next season. But it's just that.
    Maybe I'll dip my hand in my pocket for a half season one? Over to you Charlie & Co.
  • Options
    edited April 27
    LouisMend said:
    Couldn't have been clearer on the state of the defence. Big changes needed. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I don't.  It seems unfair as when Jones came in we were massively in the shit with seemingly no way out.  14 games unbeaten with what is a terrible squad, and surviving comfortably, is worth more than 5/10 IMO.
    There are always posters who want the manager out, goes with the nature of being a football supporter really, 'we have to blame someone for this mess, might as well be him'. That said, we all knew that Appleton was a wrong choice, and if he had remained at the helm we might well have dropped through the trap door, for me there was always one thing worse than Appleton and even Holden, and that is this squad. We have two goalkeepers who are not good enough, centre backs who are not good enough, a forward whose stock position is on the bench because he cannot play more than 20 mins and cannot be risked to start.  It's the largest squad that I can remember and the worst set of players that I can remember. 
  • Options
    https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1784224469717749924?s=46&t=ynww82GMl7VKBjthBflU0g

“Clean sheet record isn’t good enough. Under three managers who have all tried to fix it, we can’t all be bad”

“Big personnel changes in the summer, won’t name names but it’s not been good enough if we want to be a force next year”

”Can’t be sentimental with these decisions, have to be bold … got as far as we can with this group, the group got us safe but League One safety can’t be Charlton’s ambition and benchmark”

”We’ve done what we had to do, stark reality is we had to get away from a tough position … season is done now”

“Today was not good, horrible place to play especially when they get a lead because they know how to slow a game down and take the sting out”

”I’ve never lost here until today but five minutes in, diving in in the box we gave them exactly what they wanted … but that’s happening regularly here, we concede a goal every week”

”We’re limiting it to a goal a week and that gives us a chance to get points but it’s not good enough going forward”

“Carrying too many passengers, made HT changes because they weren’t contributing … how long do they stay on and get a chance to change it while risking giving Wycombe the second half initiative again”
    So that's Ness, May and Anderson then?