Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covers better than the original

Comments

• Options
    fadgadget said:
     Bryan Ferry version of  , Jealous Guy
    Willy DeVille’s version is even better!

In fact any cover by Willy DeVille is better.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
     Bryan Ferry version of  , Jealous Guy
    Willy DeVille’s version is even better!

In fact any cover by Willy DeVille is better.
    His "mixed up shook up girl" is a classic and better than the good original.
  • Options
    Telegram Sam - Bauhaus
    This is How it Feels - Carter USM
    Step On - Happy Mondays 
    Oh What an Atmosphere - Ted Chippington
    William Tell Overture - Wendy Carlos
  • Options
    Creep - Richard Cheese
  • Options
    Believe - DMA's originally by Cher -

https://youtu.be/MmwFnoMoDDg?si=5qywR7l9djDm-zAB

Running Up That Hill - The Wombats originally by Kate's Bush -

https://youtu.be/e20W7aj5cxM?si=ReSfa4o2GMvzMmbh

• Options
    edited May 16
    Kasabian done a blinding Insane In The Membrane on same channel, but it got pulled after Tom got the boot
  • Options
    David Watts - The Jam

Fuck off.
    The Kinks original had wit and charm and nuance.
    I love the Jam but their version was dull, colourless monotony.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Kasabian done a blinding Insane In The Membrane on same channel, but it got pulled after Tom got the boot

https://youtu.be/sLkU4N9AfVc?si=CytdAjcuf8z5LdUh
  • Options
    Is that it @Gribbo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    David Watts - The Jam

Fuck off.
    Agreed. The Jam completely missed the point of the song.
  • Options
    The original Girls and Boys by Blur is a Britpop classic, but I really like the Pet Shop Boys remix, and then the live version they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbzMiMsWtCI
  • Options
    Rockin all over the world-Status Quo 
  • Options
    Easy (The Commodores) - Faith No More
    War Pigs (Black Sabbath) - Faith No More
  • Options
    David Watts - The Jam

Fuck off.
    Well even Ray Davies said the Jam version was better than the original, so you two numbscales need to reign it in a bit with the insults to the world's greatest band.
  • Options
    David Watts - The Jam

Fuck off.
    Well even Ray Davies said the Jam version was better than the original, so you two numbscales need to reign it in a bit with the insults to the world's greatest band.
    I love the Jam but they utterly murdered this song.
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Everything I own - Ken Boothe

If you could read my mind - Johnny Cash(did some great cover versions in his later years)
  • Options
    David Watts - The Jam

Fuck off.
    If you think they were " the worlds greatest band" then I forgive you for being blinded by stupidity.
    If Ray Davies said that (which I doubt) then he was being generous, but rather less than honest.
    The Jam added nothing to the song, rather thay removed any charm it had
  • Options
    edited May 16
    An obvious one, The Beatles Twist and Shout
    Much prefer the Isley Brothers version.
    Isley's version of 'Summer Breeze' knocks out the (admittedly good) Seals and Croft original
    Absolutely love the full album track where Ernie Isley plays an amazing lengthy guitar solo at the end..…..it’s top draw.
    DJ’s and radio stations very rarely play the album version…..mores the pity.
  • Options

Another shout out for Sound of Silence by Disturbed absolutely stunning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anything on Goldiggas (Beautiful South) especially Ciao, though have loads of covers they have done live.Lots of Carter ones. Oasis doing I am the Walrus has been committed to vinyl but a tad better live. Manics Theme from MASH. Don't know the original artist but Nellie the Elephant by The Toy Dolls is slightly livelier
  • Options
    Everything I own - Ken Boothe

If you could read my mind - Johnny Cash(did some great cover versions in his later years)
    'Hurt' is a prime example.

• Options
    'House of the Rising Sun' - The Animals
  • Options
    I appreciate that the Sound of Silence by Disturbed may be quite intense and a totally different take on the song, plus well produced. This should be applauded.

Unfortunately for me, I don't really get raawwkk music with growly metal voices, so Simon and Garfunkel for me.

I really liked The Lemonheads Mrs Robinson back in 92 and even started singing the Johnny Robinson song at Barnsley away, before we went back to The Valley.

Simon and Garfunkel win here too though.

• Options
    Oasis - Cum On Feel The Noize
  • Options
    Galaxie 500 - Ceremony (Joy Division-New Order)  .....or maybe equally as good
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Swans Love will tear us apart, red or black version, probably not better than Joy Division but equally as good (& I love Joy Division)
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Metallica are a brilliant covers band. 

Their most known one is Whiskey In The Jar by Thin Lizzy, but they also played a great version of Funeral For A Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding by Elton John recently. 
    Behave, it's a traditional Irish song from way back, the Highwaymen had a hit in the US in the 60s & of course the Dubliners over here. (I appreciate you may be referring to a "rockier" version but it's just a cover of a cover of a cover ad infinitum)
  • Options
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Having said that, the only time I have ever cried at a gig was watching Leonard Cohen perform it at Glastonbury 2008. A special experience. 
  • Options
    edited May 17
    The Clash - I Fought the Law
    The Jam - Stoned out of my mind
    I bought 'I fought the law' by the Bobby Fuller Four in 1966 - a top ten hit!

I was blissfully unaware of the original by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets until about five minutes ago.  Interesting acoustic guitar on that version.  I s'pose I'd better catch up with Clash's take on it now.