Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Methven at Wembley

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I know this is unreasonable, but it annoys me a little. I think it’s that he’s there wearing the colours of a team who are (or, more accurately, were) in our league that makes it slightly worse. 

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter, but I do agree that the club really feels in a bad place at the moment and we desperately need to get this transfer window spot on to start trying to turn things around. 
    It’s not impossible, but it’s going to be a huge overall to get in the top 6 next season, I’m going to keep my expectations low, and hope to be proved wrong, in that I think unless huge money is chucked at it, it’s likely to be the season after we’ll have a go.
  • Options
    Just hope Charlies not caught on video with a glass of fizz in hand after he’s had a few, slumped in a corner saying ‘that’ll be us next season’ a la Nigel Adkins…
  • Options
    I expected him to be there - at the end of the day, if I was involved in running a football club, but it was (say) Norwich, but Charlton got to a play off final, or something even better - then I am there, supporting Charlton, as they are the club I support and love - BUT I have to earn a wage to pay the bills at the end of the day 

Of course the ‘challenge’ would be, I’m working for Norwich, and they are playing Charlton in play off to go to Prem 

What would I do ?

For me, I would resign from Norwich, take my chances, watch match as an Addick, with no ties / annoyances 

It is on the blood 
  • Options
    I hope @bobmunro didn’t come to a Wembley in 2019
  • Options
    Well if I’m honest it bothers me a bit I suppose but can understand why it doesn’t bother others. 

Just makes me think how ‘nothing’ and insignificant our club has become. It feels like over the last 10 years the soul and identity has been steadily kicked out of it. 

In his situation I’d expert him to be there. I know he doesn’t support us and we are just an opportunity to make money. But I’d expect him to be somewhere in corporate dressed in neutral smart casual. I can’t think of too many club fanbases where the lead person at the club is at Wembley wearing the shirt of a team in the same league as them, cheering them on and there not being some form of backlash. 

That just doesn’t happen really (except for us). I think we’re just collectively tired of everything so it’s all just ‘meh’. 
    Scally is (was) a Millwall fan when Gillingham chairman. Was more discreet though.
  • Options
    Be weird as a football fan if he didn't go
  • Options
    On a positive, where did Oxford finish last season? I think they were in a relegation battle. Shows that what we want to achieve can be done
    Interestingly they got the manager we were denied permission to speak to.  City Football Grop denied us permission to speak to him but he was an Oxford fan so, when they asked, he was there in a shot.  I said at the time he was highly regarded - looks like we missed out on a good one there.

fwiw I am happy with Nathan Jones so we didn't do too badly
  • Options
    He's involved at Charlton to exploit our potential. That's good enough for me not to think he doesn't have our best interests at heart. The fact he's an Oxford fan at heart shouldn't influence his input at Charlton, and I don't see how him appearing in an Oxford shirt at  Wembley today supporting his team makes any difference to that. We have bigger potential, and well he knows it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Methven supports Oxford.
    Good for him supporting his team at Wembley.
    He works for/has a small stake in Charlton.
    Everyone should have the capability to understand. 
    Just like that nice Mr Slater on his European tour with Man City then. Did you trust him too?
  • Options
    Not a huge fan of him and could have been more discreet but ultimately his call and not really detrimental to Charlton provided he leaves it just as a day out. But it does prove that we have become ambivalent to this sort of thing. Wonder how Sunderland fans would  have reacted
  • Options
    Watching a play-off final from the stands would be far more enjoyable than being in a corporate area. Does seem strange he has a replica kit though.
  • Options
    Methven supports Oxford.
    Just like that nice Mr Slater on his European tour with Man City then. Did you trust him too?
    How does it relate to the day job though? Someone is capable of success in their job at a football club whilst supporting another club. 
  • Options
    Just hope Charlies not caught on video with a glass of fizz in hand after he’s had a few, slumped in a corner saying ‘that’ll be us next season’ a la Nigel Adkins…
    He better not celebrate at the Oxo Tower! There'll be a riot!
  • Options
    Couldn't give a toss, if he didn't go to the game, some people on here would moan that he's a fake fan and he doesn't actually like football and it's all lies, so he's damned to an extent either way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Couldn't give a toss, if he didn't go to the game, some people on here would moan that he's a fake fan and he doesn't actually like football and it's all lies, so he's damned to an extent either way. 
    I think you might have gone a tad OTT there Sam…  :D
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Methven supports Oxford.
    How does it relate to the day job though? Someone is capable of success in their job at a football club whilst supporting another club. 
    Indeed, but can you tell me what his day job is? He describes himself as an owner. That’s not a job. 
  • Options
    Couldn't care less. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Disgraceful,  I'm still hoping for this Charlton supporting vegan billionaire who made their money milking almonds  to come along and snap us up
    Aren't you describing yourself there @Gribbo
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Disgraceful,  I'm still hoping for this Charlton supporting vegan billionaire who made their money milking almonds  to come along and snap us up
    But it depends on where they went to school and what colour trousers they wear, surely?
  • Options
    Who was the last senior management/chairman who was a Charlton supporter?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Who was the last senior management/chairman who was a Charlton supporter?
    Hulyer?
  • Options
    Much ado about nothing.