Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How good ... how bad ???

Given the fantastic start to season in the table, some questions that can be asked together ...

How good is Charlton?

How poor is the quality of opposition in the Third Division (League 1)?

In other words, what are we really seeing, particularly in relation to last season?

Comments

• How good is Charlton?
    How good are Charlton.

Sorry, it's a pet hate of mine.
  • edited August 2009
    next month will be a better indicator, brentford, norwich, southhampton, exeter, leeds and colchester

but can't be more happy with our start, and if we pick up wins against the say lowest 10 clubs home and away, thats 60 points, glad we've been a bit more ruthless and seem alot more confident of our own abilities

there's still a long way to go but its looking good
  • I've been impressed with the teams organisation this season. We have a very good, if not the best midfield in the league and the communication is much better at the back.

It's all very well saying that the opposition has been poor, which they have, but we are beating teams we ought to be beating and we are winning well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    How good is Charlton?

How good[b aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][i aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]are[/i][/b]Charlton.

Sorry, Vfr, I asked in American English where a team name is deemed to be singular.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]It's all very well saying that the opposition has been poor, which they have, but we are beating teams we ought to be beating and we are winning well.

Yeah it'll be a bigger test against the better teams, but we're doing everything right at the moment. Look at Southampton and Norwich, have to give Parky, his staff and the players credit. They could start thinking we're too good for this league or loose concentration, but we're not.
  • How good are Charlton ?

The midfield is top level Championship standard, defencesively, I still think we could be undone by the top teams.
    451 means attack relies on the midfield get beyong Deon and they are doing that to some effect.

Overal then , if we can survive the window intact then we have enough for a play off place at the very least and if we can strengthen then automatic promotion.
    Credit to Parky too , he has rid the club of the Pardew malaise
  • In other words, what are we really seeing, particularly in relation to last season?

We are seeing a team playing with confidence, unity and a desire to win, three things that were lacking last season. Bear in mind all bar Dailly, Llera and Richardson that these players were all at Charlton last season, so it isn't as though we've had a drastic clear-out of players from year-year.

We may not have a strong squad in terms of depth and the takeover rumours drag on but the sun is shining and we are setting the pace and racking up points while we are playing well and able to field our strongest starting XI. Sure there'll be a few rainy days ahead, but five games and five wins says it all.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

Sorry, Vfr, I asked in American English where a team name is deemed to be singular.

There is no bloody language called American English (feck off Bill Gates), JUST ENGLISH - It's our language, we developed it, speak it proper like the queen what what!

American English - Pet hate of mine!
  • Posted By: American_Addick

Posted By: Valley_floyd_red

How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

There is no bloody language called American English (feck off Bill Gates), JUST ENGLISH - It's our language, we developed it, speak it proper like the queen what what!

Blimey! And I get called a gamma nazi! ;-)
  • I think we are proving we are too good at the moment for this league but the quality within it is not to obvious to me

I think there are numerous teams like walsall, Wycombe and tranmere in this league and to be fair they aint very good

i think Narwich, Leeds and us will fight it out for automatic and who ever dont make it as automatic will be miles ahead of 4th
  • Sponsored links:

• * Scoham
    * CommentTime35 minutes ago

quote# 6

Posted By: Valley_floyd_redIt's all very well saying that the opposition has been poor, which they have, but we are beating teams we ought to be beating and we are winning well.

Yeah it'll be a bigger test against the better teams, but we're doing everything right at the moment. Look at Southampton and Norwich, have to give Parky, his staff and the players credit. They could start thinking we're too good for this league or loose concentration, but we're not.
    Exactly. If we'd got a draw away from home most people would take that, but this is the best start to the season we've had EVER! We should be looking towards the tougher games and rubbing our hands together.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Given the fantastic start to season in the table, some questions that can be asked together ...

How good is Charlton?

How poor is the quality of opposition in the Third Division (League 1)?

In other words, what are we really seeing, particularly in relation to last season?

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the how the smart money bets.

And the smart money is on a Charlton promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    Posted By: American_Addick

How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

That's Grammar! ;-)

Sorry Doug, but American English is really a pet hate of mine.

As for Charlton, I thought at the start of the season when I looked at our line-up that the team were good enough to compete in the Championship.

It's still early days but I think/hope we will still be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

As we all know there are good teams in this league. Norwich will be up there, so will Leeds, Huddersfield, Colchester, Franchise FC..... As for the also-rans well who knows.

It's about confidence and at the moment Parky has them oosing it. The test will come in Winter, are we up for a battle on a muddy patch against Bristol Rovers? Let's hope so.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]

How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

That's Grammar! ;-)

As for Charlton, I thought at the start of the season when I looked at our line-up that the team were good enough to compete in the Championship.

It's still early days but I think/hope we will still be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

As we all know there are good teams in this league. Norwich will be up there, so will Leeds, Huddersfield, Colchester, Franchise FC..... As for the also-rans well who knows.

It's about confidence and at the moment Parky has them oosing it. The test will come in Winter, are we up for a battle on a muddy patch against Bristol Rovers? Let's hope so.

Some colorful responses. Ooops, better make that colourful.
    ;-)

Grammar, and spelling, is not always the same on different sides of the Atlantic. Or is it are not? Give or take the commas.

On to the more important issues, Charlton are only three wins shy of last season's not-so-grand total.
    The tremendous start has already lifted the spirits of the club, even as uncertaintanty persists as the proposed takeover(s) drags on and on and on ...

The midfield appears to be a real strength, with Sam and Bailey adding a great deal of width and attacking options with Burton as a lone striker.

The hope is that there are no major sales, and potentially a couple of additions to strengthen the depth, before the transfer window closes.
    What is not needed is for the current board to panic, and sell players, if the takeover doesn't happen by the end of the month.

And credit to Parky, who kept is job against any reasonabl measure. Maybe Charlton will prove to be the making of his career, rather than the undoing of it. Although it is still much too early to be dropping any rose pedals at his feet.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

That's Grammar! ;-)

Some colorful responses. Ooops, better make that colourful.
    ;-)

Grammar, and spelling, is not always the same on different sides of the Atlantic. Or is itare not? Give or take the commas.

On to the more important issues, Charlton are only three wins shy of last season's not-so-grand total.
    The tremendous start has already lifted the spirits of the club, even as uncertaintanty persists as the proposed takeover(s) drags on and on and on ...

The midfield appears to be a real strength, with Sam and Bailey adding a great deal of width and attacking options with Burton as a lone striker.

The hope is that there are no major sales, and potentially a couple of additions to strengthen the depth, before the transfer window closes.
    What is not needed is for the current board to panic, and sell players, if the takeover doesn't happen by the end of the month.

And credit to Parky, who kept is job against any reasonabl measure. Maybe Charlton will prove to be the making of his career, rather than the undoing of it. Although it is still much too early to be dropping any rose pedals at his feet.

Thats another difference we say "Rose Petals" the Americans say "Rose Pedals" ;)
  • Where's Donald Sinden when you need him?
  • I have to say, this looks a poor league.

However, we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that we have played some good football at times and that I think most would accept that our midfield would be comfortable a division higher.

We also need to remember that of the teams we have beaten, Walsall were only beaten by two very late Leeds goals - look how easily we saw them off, Leyton Orient were tipped to be up there and took Stoke to extra time last week.

A bit of credit where its due I think.

As long as we keep our feet on the ground and keep doing the basics right I can only see Norwich, Leeds & possibly Huddersfield getting anywhere near us.
  • Where's Donald Sinden when you need him?
    I stand suitably corrected. The next time I go throwing stones I'll make sure I'm outside of the glasshouse.
  • we've done much better than we could have hoped but we've played 3rd, 4th, 5th ,8th from bottom and 13th so we couldn't have asked for much weaker opposition to start the season with
    and fair play to having our best sequence of results to start a season but we are in the third tier so nothing to be too proud of imo
    just hope we hold on to these boys till after the transfer window shuts and maybe add a couple(that's greedy!!)
  • Agree with clem on this one. Also, don`t rule our close and friendly neighbours Millwall from being in the mix. They had a very tidy last season and although have not started particularly well this time out they are still unbeaten and not conceding many. Remember they beat Leeds on the way to the playoff final and despite their drawing start are still 7th. You have been warned.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I have to say, this looks a poor league.

However, we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that we have played some good football at times and that I think most would accept that our midfield would be comfortable a division higher.

We also need to remember that of the teams we have beaten, Walsall were only beaten by two very late Leeds goals - look how easily we saw them off, Leyton Orient were tipped to be up there and took Stoke to extra time last week.

A bit of credit where its due I think.

As long as we keep our feet on the ground and keep doing the basics right I can only see Norwich, Leeds & possibly Huddersfield getting anywhere near us.

And Hartlepool have a Premiership scalp to their name from the League Cup.

We'll know how good we are in May - plenty of time for us to fall apart and plenty of time for Hartlepool or Orient or Wallsall or whoever to pick up and have a good season - for all we know come May when we finish 6th 1 pt ahead of Orient in 7th, and we might look back on Deon's late winner as a vital moment in our season. Truth is, after just 5 games, none of us know how we or any other team will fair throughout the whole season, so in the meantime can we just enjoy it whilst we're winning and worry about how we're going to go get back to winning games once we've actually lost some?

I honestly wonder if some of you lot are scared of enjoyment sometimes - these are the times that are supposed to remind you of why you love football, but some of you seemed happier when we were effing losing!
  • Also, don`t rule our close and friendly neighbours Millwall from being in the mix.
    Local rivalry aside I think Millwall are a very good side on their day but vulnerable to inexplicable lapses of form, particularly when they are defending. I watched them on TV a couple of times last season and was impressed with the way they could soak up a lot of pressure. I honestly thought they were going up but the way they defended in the play off was shocking, they were all over the place.

Listening to Parky's post match comments makes me realise that Charlton are a very different animal the the team that Pardew was messing around with. There has been a growing sense of continuity to the side that I think started before the end of last season. The fact that we've able to field the same players game after game is a massive advantage.

Personally I don't think of any team we play as being inherently beatable, I learned that lesson last season in particular. I'm pleased that the team are become more ruthless, good to hear that even when we were 4-0 up today we were still pressing for another goal.
  • Given the size of the club, and where it has been recently, I still view Charlton in a bottom half Premier/top half Championship club.
    A lot of poor decisions contributed to putting the club where it is now. Charlton are a third tier club right now on (de)merit, but it is like putting an underachieving big boy back a couple of grades in school.
    Leeds has proven that you can't just bully your way out of this division. But while it was convenient to explain that Charlton were punching above their weight for many solid seasons in the Premier League, it appears that they are punching against opposition below their weight now.
    That is one of the reasons why I have asked how much of this excellent start is down to Charlton being good and/or the opposition being poor.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    How good is Charlton?

How goodareCharlton.

BDL..........don't be such a clutz.........if you keep on pissing guys off next time your walking along the sidewalk some dudes gonna tip a trash can full or garbage over you!
  • what exiled said
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    How good is Charlton?

How good[b aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][i aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]are[/i][/b]Charlton.

Charlton = a club or a team or a geographical area. All singular, so 'Charlton is' seems right to me. Can't answer the question though! We're only as good as our next game so I'm just enjoying myself at the moment.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Given the size of the club, and where it has been recently, I still view Charlton in a bottom half Premier/top half Championship club.
    A lot of poor decisions contributed to putting the club where it is now. Charlton are a third tier club right now on (de)merit, but it is like putting an underachieving big boy back a couple of grades in school.
    Leeds has proven that you can't just bully your way out of this division. But while it was convenient to explain that Charlton were punching above their weight for many solid seasons in the Premier League, it appears that they are punching against opposition below their weight now.
    That is one of the reasons why I have asked how much of this excellent start is down to Charlton being good and/or the opposition being poor.

Well, we've not exactly come up against any of the major promotion contenders thus far, however none of us are complaining and after all the team is in a winning mode/mindset, so all in all the signs are positive.
    Maybe come back in a months time and ask the same question as the answer should be a lot easier to give (oneway or the other)..... although we're all delighted, I fancy many of us are just a tiny bit undecided about our staus (or perceived status I should say), at present as it's still early days.
  • accepted and common practice is that sporting teams are not singular but plural.

Hence '' we is by far the greatest team the world has ever seen' or ''we is top of the league'' or ''Charlton is now 4 up at Tranmere'' all sound and are wrong. ; - )

English being English it has no agreed rules only usage so it constantly changes and updates it structure and vocab. Many so called American English words and phrases (fall for example) are old England usage which has clung on there after being replaced b a french term here.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]accepted and common practice is that sporting teams are not singular but plural.

Hence '' we is by far the greatest team the world has ever seen' or ''we is top of the league'' or ''Charlton is now 4 up at Tranmere'' all sound and are wrong. ; - )

English being English it has no agreed rules only usage so it constantly changes and updates it structure and vocab. Many so called American English words and phrases (fall for example) are old England usage which has clung on there after being replaced b a french term here.
    Errrrrm.....right........ ahgem well, yes..........thanks for clearing that up Henry.
  • That's because they are wrong as well. It is then the use of the word 'we' that is wrong, so to make it sound right, 'is' is used. Still wrong though. Accepted speech and grammatical rules are different animals. I think the grammatical rule is still accepted, so go on, prove me wrong.