Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky found his level or engineered his Team

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
Nice and easy this just answer if you think he's found his level or whether he has been the engineer to a resurgent Charlton

Comments

• can it be both Dazzler?

don't mean to be a smart arse...

.... wider point would prolly be that 'his level' may change as he grows and gets experience...
  • lol of course it can Phoenix :o)
  • He has finally got a team together and got them feeling confident, oh and some of our players are far too good for this league
  • We will lose games no doubt but PP has Charlton playing decent football with confidence which would imho not look out of place in The Champioship. I have been converted by the mans actions both on and off the field since relegation in what must be very difficult circumstances. Given a little money I think that Parky can deliver promotion but failure to adequately fill the gaps in our squad will I fear cost us dear. Missing out this season will without doubt mean losing most of our midfield and consequently create a much larger and longer task for any manager to rebuild.
  • i dont want to be jumping the gun or blowing smoke too far up his arse just yet..

But i think that he has his OWN settled Squad playing in his way from a good pre season, He has players that should have performed in Midfield last season but never he has a hugely talented and hungry 17 yr old boy and his own charecters that he wanted.

He has had to do all this knowing that it is us he has to win over because all the noises i heard from inside the changing rooms were that the players really like and respect him and that they enjoy working with him and for him

we now have a team from head to foot

Parky knows this league and if we are still in with a fighting chance of a promotion place at xmas i will fully believe that tactically he has sussed out how to play other teams because without a main striker we will get sussed out in a few games simply by flooding the midfield and we will have to work imensely hard to nick a 1 goal win.

Good luck to him i stated months ago that it was not that i disliked him i just need to be convinced that he can provide the motivation from the side and the nous of how to beat teams so far i believe in him for this season he remained immensley dignified on pre season in the knowledge that he did not have 100% support from the board nor the fans and that sort of bloody mindedness and willingness to try is a breath of fresh air from the complete shit talked by dowie and the ingnorance and arrogance of Pardew

Good Luck Phil i hope you get what you deserve and at the min you deserve to be leading a top of the league team well done
  • I believe there were signs of real improvement in the last ten games of last season, although it didn't always manifest itself in results.

To be fair some of that was down to the return from injury of Racon and ZZ.

What I think Parky has done, given the smaller squad and therefore it's limitations is to look at the best players we have and mould a team around them.

We clearly have quality in midfield and he has found a decent position for Bailey out left, a permanent role for Semedo. (Lets not forget that he was injured last season). He give Jonjo an advanced role supporting the attack whenever possible. I think he's continued to work on Sam, improving his fitness and putting faith in him to give him more confidence on the one hand but also challenging him to sharpen up as well with Waggy waiting in the wings.

He's made the correct Goal keeping decision and brought in an enthusiastic fan/player in Elliot. He's strengthened the defence especially at this level in the Llera, Dailly and Richardson signings.

Finally he has identified and brought in, in Burton a striker who has the close control and energy to play the lone striker. I don't think Burton was fully fit last season, but he looks lean and mean this season.

I felt last season that the squad was too good to go down. It was just a shame that the first three quarters of the season was wrecked by tinkering, indecision, off the field issues and some key injuries.

I'm not one to blow smoke up people a*ses and frankly Parky is a very lucky bloke, both to get the job and then to keep it this long. He has though, grabbed the luck he has been given and run with it.
  • agree with Bing and NLA.

He is very fortunate to still be here and I sure he knows that.

He had done what he had to do well and we are winning but it is only five games into a 46 season so plenty more work to be done yet.
  • Some of the players last year was far better than a relegated team and at times just couldnt get the rub of the green. Last season could have been so much better than the end result.
  • edited August 2009
    Bing has nailed it. However retrospectively I don't think our squad was Championship standard (I did at the time). We had some players who were; Bailey, Jonjo, erm . . . .there's your answer!

If Parky says he bought Burton for this league I'd've be satisfied, but as his 1st signing supposedly for the Championship, I thought it was utterly laughable and could've easily lost him his job, all bar the fact the boardroom didn't have the cash to get rid.

What I would stress is that we may 'now have a team from head to foot' but we may not have the squad to get us up. At the moment *prays*
  • Found his level imo, as soon as we come up against one of the stronger teams parky will be found out! The guy is clueless and shouldn even be left in charge of the biscuit tin, let alone the first team!!!

really do hope im wrong, but i think we'll struggle to go up with pardkinson in charge!
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't agree with a word of that, Stu.

Agree with Bing that improvement was there to be seen towards end of last season, which is why I wanted to see PP given a further chance. I'm so glad that's happened, though rumours from the ver top had it that he was on the way out. Perhaps in that respect the lack of takeover has been a blessing in disguise? Some stability and consistency in team selection, tactics and man mangement was desperately needed, and I'm delighted PP is proving capable of delivering this.
  • [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]can it be both Dazzler?

That's the answer. Of course the fact we're playing weaker opposition with, largely, a championship starting 11 is going to help our results, but you could say similar of Southampton and look at the way they are floundering along with that clown Pardew in charge.

Whatever level you play at and whoever you have in your team, if you have poor squad discipline, limited tactical organisation and nothing resembling a settled side you will struggle to win consistently. It's not rocket science but those were the three things endemic in Pardew's management of the club and, although it's taken longer than we'd have liked, Parky has seemingly corrected those problems and I would say that's been more important in our good start than any drop in quality of opposition.
  • Performances (at least for part of the match) improved after Pardew went but that did not manifest itself in results.

Parky has had a pre season to do things his way and we are seeing the benefits of that. We may have trouble against the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield and MK Dons but we should now have the confidence not to fear anybody in this division.

Parky has to take a lot of credit for that given the well documented uncertainties off the pitch.
  • I think only the most mean-spirited of Parky haters would simply say he's found his level.
    I think it's a partial vindication of those of us who saw the seeds of improvement towards the end of last season; and thought that Parky at least deserved a proper pre-season and the chance to bring his own men in. (I like to refer to us as visionaries) ;-)
  • Parky has done very well to get a balanced team on the park (possibly for the first time in 18 months).

I didn't see any seeds of improvement at all and thought circumstances off the park kept him in a job.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Found his level imo, as soon as we come up against one of the stronger teams parky will be found out! The guy is clueless and shouldn even be left in charge of the biscuit tin, let alone the first team!!!

really do hope im wrong, but i think we'll struggle to go up with pardkinson in charge!

Hope you're joking, weak league or not you don't win 5 games in a row just through luck and having more quality. We're playing good passing football, attacking and defending well, working hard, looking organised, confident and there's a good team spirit. If he was clueless we wouldn't have won all five games or be playing the sort of football we are.
  • Pardew on the other hand...
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Found his level imo, as soon as we come up against one of the stronger teams parky will be found out! The guy is clueless and shouldn even be left in charge of the biscuit tin, let alone the first team!!!

Hope you're joking, weak league or not you don't win 5 games in a row just through luck and having more quality. We're playing good passing football, attacking and defending well, working hard, looking organised, confident and there's a good team spirit. If he was clueless we wouldn't have won all five games or be playing the sort of football we are.

I remember someone on here once told me that we could sign Ronaldo and people would moan because it wasn't Messi, so i'm never shocked with some of the stuff spouted on here.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Pardew on the other hand...

had a much better games to points ratio with us last year than parky did!

lets just remember the guy took us on our worst run of results in the clubs history! He's come up against 5 gash teams and is looking good! Hell im over the moon about it and i really hope parky proves me wrong, just don't see it myself, especially after some of the gutless performances away from home last year!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Pardew on the other hand...

lets just remember the guy took us on our worst run of results in the clubs history! He's come up against 5 gash teams and is looking good! Hell im over the moon about it and i really hope parky proves me wrong, just don't see it myself, especially after some of the gutless performances away from home last year!

Not quite right Stu.

PARDEW took us on the worst run of results. Parky came in and failed to stop it for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]lets just remember the guy took us on our worst run of results in the clubs history!

Obviously Pardew was gone by then but he set us on that run, not Parky who had to rebuild the confidence & belief and find the best system for us (something Pardew never did).

So much of last season was down to Pardew's mistakes, especially last summer, even though it's not obvious when purely looking at results and how early in the season Pardew left.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Found his level imo, as soon as we come up against one of the stronger teams parky will be found out! The guy is clueless and shouldn even be left in charge of the biscuit tin, let alone the first team!!!

I struggle to think of a sensible comment for such a ridiculous post as that. FFS!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Found his level imo, as soon as we come up against one of the stronger teams parky will be found out! The guy is clueless and shouldn even be left in charge of the biscuit tin, let alone the first team!!!

I struggle to think of a sensible comment for such a ridiculous post as that. FFS!!

to be fair to stu

how many people agreed with this point at the end of last season i certainly did and Parky has not won me over at all yeti think i am just beginig to realise that he took a team on its way down and couldnt fix it where as now it is 100% his responsability and he seems to be getting it right but only promotion will get me thinking that he deserves the job for a longer period of time
  • i do wonder if a new manager such as tisdale orAdkins had come in, signed the 3 defenders and won the first five games with skillful and battling performances then what would have been the reaction to him?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]i do wonder if a new manager such as tisdale orAdkins had come in, signed the 3 defenders and won the first five games with skillful and battling performances then what would have been the reaction to him?

i didnt want either of them anyway

it was cappello, Mourihnio, Dicanio or no one for me they wouldnt have signed 3 defenders 1st ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Pardew on the other hand...

Not quite right Stu.

PARDEW took us on the worst run of results. Parky came in and failed to stop it for a while.

Stu to elaborate: We had 18 league games without a win between the home victories against Ipswich on October 4 and Crystal Palace on January 27. Pardew was in charge for 8 of those Parky 10.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]i do wonder if a new manager such as tisdale orAdkins had come in, signed the 3 defenders and won the first five games with skillful and battling performances then what would have been the reaction to him?

They'd certainly be getting even more praise than Parky is.

I had a feeling Parky could do a good job but I never expected 5 wins out of 5 and all our best players (apart from Zheng who was always going) still here 2 days before the window closes. Can say we've played easy teams but we still had to be organised and play well to win.
  • Im glad so many of you are happy to forgive parky for last season and blame it all on pards, just dont forget who his number 2 was!

i'd loved to be proved wrong, i dont dispute parky is a nice guy and has acted very well during close season, but lets be sure on one thing, he's still here because we're skint! After so many gutless performances last season, well into parkys reign, he didnt have a clue how to break teams down, i remember games the other team could have taken tea breaks and returned to see us still trying to get the ball out our own half without hoofing the ball out for a throw! For the last 5 games we have seen some of the real garbage this league has to offer, thats why we're on 15 points, not because parky woke up one day and knew how to manage a football club!
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Im glad so many of you are happy to forgive parky for last season and blame it all on pards, just dont forget who his number 2 was!

i'd loved to be proved wrong, i dont dispute parky is a nice guy and has acted very well during close season, but lets be sure on one thing, he's still here because we're skint! After so many gutless performances last season, well into parkys reign, he didnt have a clue how to break teams down, i remember games the other team could have taken tea breaks and returned to see us still trying to get the ball out our own half without hoofing the ball out for a throw! For the last 5 games we have seen some of the real garbage this league has to offer, thats why we're on 15 points, not because parky woke up one day and knew how to manage a football club!

It is more a case of credit where it is due.

I accept that to some extent Parky is here by default but I have consistently questioned since Pardew's departure who we could realistically attract who is better than Parky.

Yes he was Pard's number 2 but if the training day is anything to go by that entailed wandering around with a clipboard while the Great Ego pontificated and Kins scampered around gathering practice balls.

Pardew destroyed the confidence of numerous players and Parky had to put it together again.

In the circumstances he has operated under possibly only Curbs or Lennie would have done any better or as well.
  • I think Parkinson has done a magnificent job so far....

The team obviously respect him and the players are acting like they are all in love with each other...

Team spirit is incredibly hard to find and once its found we need to hold onto it for dear life...

I actually think that Parky's bad run and ultimately guiding us down is a good thing, as it means we are viewing this success with a bit of fear that at any point the wheels might come of....

If a new individual had acchieved the same thing we would be singing his praises screaming form the terraces calling him a genius etc...

you can just see it "he hasnt even spent any money!!'

but with the fear factor in place that keeps ur feet on the ground....

the futures bright.... and its definately not orange (jordon your a tw$t ; )